Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Lamb, chickpea & spinach curry with pops, naans, chutneys & pickles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Home made chicken curry with tempura prawns and spring rolls made form scratch and basmati rice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Urgh! :( You should buy them a Hostess Trolley, problem sorted! :D

I genuinely have no clue how anyone does a big meal like Christmas dinner without a hostess trolley - how do you keep everything warm???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

B0jangles wrote: »
    Urgh! :( You should buy them a Hostess Trolley, problem sorted! :D

I genuinely have no clue how anyone does a big meal like Christmas dinner without a hostess trolley - how do you keep everything warm???

Meat joints retain heat before carving for ages. So they can come out and potatoes/stuffing/veg can go in. Warm your plates in hot water, carve at the last minute, slather with hot gravy and boom.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I warm all the plates and the serving dishes in the oven while the meat is resting, then while the meat is being carved (Mr. Dizzy's job), I put the veg etc into the hot serving bowls and make the gravy. It's a bit frantic for a few minutes but it all reaches the table piping hot and stays that way for ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

We had us a Muslim staying for the weekend so went to a halal butcher on Friday and stocked up.

Friday night we had buffalo chicken wings with Carolina Reaper chillis on the side for anyone brave enough.

Saturday was homemade burgers.

Today was roast beef, roasties, carrot and turnip mash, cauliflower cheese, brocolli and pickled cabbage......
    EDA6F923-8444-4B7D-89FB-F3010F6B2869_zpsqlxg05xp.jpg

Not forgetting the Yorkshire puds and gravy....

0A9AFBEA-7EAB-48E5-A434-E63CA2DAB8B9_zpsgzidtton.jpg

Turns out it was his first ever roast dinner and first time ever having gravy or Yorkshires! :eek:

When asked what he thought of it all, he replied, 'I feel alive!' :)

(Perfectionists amongst you will notice dinner was served 3 minutes late! :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Slow cooked beef ribs which I mostly followed to this recipe.
    The ribs I got happened to be cut flanken style but they still worked very well. Very satisfying and I've about 1lb of ribs left in the fridge for tomorrow!

What a feast, Gloom!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

What a feast, Gloom!

Can just about move my thumb, nothing else! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Roast rib of beef with roast spuds & steamed veg with gravy & Lidl luxury Yorkshire puddings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That looks amazing Gloomtastic! :)

Tonight we had Aldi ribeye steaks, roasted crushed baby potatoes, fried mushrooms and oven baked crispy onion rings. Quite a brown looking dinner but very nice.

We had home made burgers and chips. I followed a tip and put a spoon of mayonnaise in the burger meat. Wow! So tender. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Gloom inspired me to post my dinner tonight. Roast potatoes, back bacon, carrotts and PICKLED RED CABBAGE!

Get the red cabbage going lads. Only in season for a few more weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Slow roast pork belly (mmmmm, crackling!), goose fat roasted baby spuds with peas and sweet corn

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We're all on the roast beef today, it seems! We had slow roasted beef brisket, goose fat roast potatoes, roast carrots, Yorkshire puds and gravy made with the beef juices and the juice of the vegetables it cooked on. Delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Lemon children that had far too much lemon in it and made my teeth chatter!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Lemon children that had far too much lemon in it and made my teeth chatter!

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

:eek::eek::eek:

An unfortuante typo.:D But if rentdayblues has a recipe for lemon CHILDREN, I'll listen.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Grandeeod wrote: »
    An unfortuante typo.:D But if rentdayblues has a recipe for lemon CHILDREN, I'll listen.:D

Silly phone! My children probably do have a lemon flavour to them after that dinner but it was sadly just lemon chicken we had! !!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had an aubergine and a butternut squash to use so I decided to make a risotto.

Roasted the squash with salt and pepper and a little smoked paprika, cut it into pieces and added fresh thyme leaves.

The aubergine I baked in the oven until soft, peeled it and blitzed it with roast garlic and some tahini. I added this purée at the end of cooking the risotto where you might add butter/cream /cheese. It gave a lovely deep flavor and creaminess but wasn't heavy and went nicely with the squash stirred through.

Successful experiment!

Some lovely fried hake with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Lemon children

Hmm.

Do you happen to live in a gingerbread house? ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

we'd roast lamb, roast spuds, mashed spuds, carrots, turnip, broccoli and mushy pea's for some and loads of gravy

tonight we're having pan fried cod, haven't decided what to serve it with yet...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

We'd sticky lime chicken which sounded very interesting in the recipe along with some baked potatoes and carrots. Unfortunately I was using a new (to me) oven and forgot it was fan and the sauce on the chicken was roasted away to almost nothing. It still tasted great if a bit sharp - will try again when I hopefully don't blast away the honey sauce with a too-hot oven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Big bowl of American style beef stew, done in the slow cooker.

nOqOJo.jpg

Went a bit overboard on the paprika (and, or) pepper, as it was a bit spicier than usual.

Still was delicious though. Really hearty meal for weather such as today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Big bowl of American style beef stew, done in the slow cooker.

Went a bit overboard on the paprika (and, or) pepper, as it was a bit spicier than usual.

Still was delicious though. Really hearty meal for weather such as today.

I have tried the slow cooker a few times and it just hasn't worked well.

I thought the idea was to just throw everything in and come back to a meal in the evening. But I found ingredients needed to be added at different times otherwise potatoes turned to mush. I also found it was hard to get flavour into it without adding lots of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Spicy oyster chicken noodles today

14y999w.jpg

I have tried the slow cooker a few times and it just hasn't worked well.

I thought the idea was to just throw everything in and come back to a meal in the evening. But I found ingredients needed to be added at different times otherwise potatoes turned to mush. I also found it was hard to get flavour into it without adding lots of salt.

I fry the beef first, lob it in slow cooker.

Then fry some onion, and garlic until translucent. Lob in the slow cooker.

Then 2 x cups of warm water from the tap, and a spoonful of salt, spoonful of sugar, pepper and paprika. (Tspns)

Throw in your peeled and chopped carrots, then some scrubbed and quartered spuds (I like roosters) but keep the skin on them (keeps them from breaking up)

Lastly throw in a couple of tablespoons of tomatoes puree or pasatta, a tsp of Worcester sauce or two, and a beef stock cube (I like using the jelly type).

Let her cook for at least eight hours.

Delicious and effortless

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I fry the beef first, lob it in slow cooker.

Then fry some onion, and garlic until translucent. Lob in the slow cooker.

Then 2 x cups of warm water from the tap, and a spoonful of salt, spoonful of sugar, pepper and paprika. (Tspns)

Throw in your peeled and chopped carrots, then some scrubbed and quartered spuds (I like finishers) but keep the skin on them (keeps them from breaking up)

Lastly throw in a couple of tablespoons of tomatoes puree or pasatta, a tsp of Worcester sauce or two, and a beef stock cube (I like using the jelly type).

Let her cook for at least eight hours.

Delicious and effortless

What type of beef? The normal diced stuff or something with a bone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

the cheap cuts work best for slow cooking

• Advertisement

What type of beef? The normal diced stuff or something with a bone?

Just stewing beef.

Have you been Browning your beef before putting it in the SC?

Advertisement