Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Went to Umi Falafel last night. I had a Palestinian falafel sandwich which was pitta with hummus, tomato, cucumber pickles, fried aubergine, flat parsley and chilli and tahini sauce. Absolutely delicious. Everyone got their own main course but on the table we shared some stuffed vine leaves, hummus, tabbouleh and spiced potato wedges. Really good, too much food and get this - €45 for four people.

That place is amazing, get the meal deal for 2 for €7 each and you will be stuffed!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Where is it? Looking for somewhere for lunch in Dublin next Saturday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's on dame street so it's pretty central http://umifalafel.ie/
    They have another branch in rathmines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Toad in the Hole, onion gravy and garlic cabbage

IMG_0179.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

Cari Poulet with satini pomme d'amour from last months bbcgoodfood magazine

SlGazhq.jpg[\img]

• Advertisement

Hot & Sticky Pork Belly Strips with chunky chips, corn on the cob and coleslaw

IMG_0180.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

SlGazhq.jpg[\img]

Your image isn't showing: the backslash before the second "img" should be a forward slash :)

arian wrote: »
    Your image isn't showing: the backslash before the second "img" should be a forward slash :)

Ooops......the image displayed for me so I thought it was ok

SlGazhq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Dinner is all over the place lately, can't wait to get back into a routine next week!

Can't remember what Mon was.
    Tue was chicken & salad in a wrap with chipotle mayo.
    Weds was a chicken salad sandwich from The Pig & Heifer
    Thurs was pasta with bacon, chicken, mushroom and a cream sauce.
    Fri was take away.
    Tonight is lamb chops, veg, spuds and gravy.

Next week needs to roll in quick! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Himself made a vegan mushroom lasagne.
    Very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Jalfrezi-braised lamb shanks with garam masala roast potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Jalfrezi-braised lamb shanks with garam masala roast potatoes.]

Sounds good. Any recipe?

I made it up TBH. I made a paste of usual jalfrezi ingredients - ground coriander & cumin, turmeric, chilli, ginger, garlic & fresh coriander stalks with olive oil. Rubbed this over the shanks & browned quickly on a hot pan. The put the shanks on a bed of onions & tomatoes in a roasting pan, poured in a bit of chicken stock & covered tightly with foil. Bunged in the oven at 200c & immediately lowered to 130c for 3 hours. The spuds were sprinkled with garam masala & salt, drizzled with oil & roasted.

I made it up TBH. I made a paste of usual jalfrezi ingredients - ground coriander & cumin, turmeric, chilli, ginger, garlic & fresh coriander stalks with olive oil. Rubbed this over the shanks & browned quickly on a hot pan. The put the shanks on a bed of onions & tomatoes in a roasting pan, poured in a bit of chicken stock & covered tightly with foil. Bunged in the oven at 200c & immediately lowered to 130c for 3 hours. The spuds were sprinkled with garam masala & salt, drizzled with oil & roasted.

Next Sundays dinner sorted right there. ^^^

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Steak, fried onions, green beans, petit pois, baby potatoes with butter. Creamy rice pudding.

Chicken & Bean Enchiladas

F858_DD03-5005-4_FD4-9_DFF-7_A81_E34_C6544.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Oh I had enchiladas too yesterday but I poured tomato based sauce on them plus loads of cheddar. Mine were a lot messier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Just leftovers - had some rice from the traditional weekend curry feast, so I made egg fried rice, honey and soy glazed mushrooms and threw a few frozen spring rolls in the oven.

It was the first time I tried making mushrooms that way, and I think I might make them more often, they were really yummy.

Pork Schnitzel with Creamy Mash and Garlic Green Beans

2_D9_FD07_E-1372-485_B-_B1_F5-746_FB2881_C7_A.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Looks great Gloomtastic. I prefer the Latvian version which I only discovered recently having tasted Schnitzel before. Karbonade its called. It may even out date Schnitzel. Has a more seasoned taste to it. Served with whole potatoes and a creamy sauce with or without mushrooms. Mainly made from onion, milk and seasoning. All very similar though and very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Been a while since I posted in this thread. I've been cooking less and don't have time to be uploading pics on the computer and since I was all about the photographs, I haven't been posting without pics.

Anyway, no pics but some interesting food this weekend. Wife got given a rabbit. Not a skinned and drawn rabbit. I suggested that if she brings home a rabbit needing messy work, that she should do it. She did!

So, I jointed it into legs and saddles. I did the legs as a stew with brown beer and mustard. It was delicious but pretty tough - even after 3 hours simmering. Kinda gamey too - I think this lad was a few days old - but not unpleasantly so.
    I served it with mash, shredded fried sweet heart cabbage, garlic fried courgettes and gremolata.

Yesterday I stir fried the saddles with ginger, soy sauce and reduced stock and served that with egg fried rice with peas, vinegared cabbage salad and rabbit miso soup with wakame.

Delicious rabbity weekend.

I had a few for dinner on Saturday to did a pot of lamb vindaloo with all the trimmings.

Yesterday I made a pea risotto (first time cooking risotto & was very happy with it) with Schweinskotlette Waliser-art. That's grilled pork chops finished with a slice of tomato & melted cheese.

Last night I cooked a big chill to be eaten for this evenings dinner.

The kids however couldn't wait, and 2 of them headed to school this morning with 2 little bellyfuls of the stuff. :D

zuBE3c.jpg

There's over a kilo of good quality mince in there. Along with 4 x purple garlic bulbs, some red onions, cumin, smoked paprika, oregano and crushed chillies, the sauce consists of some stock, 2 x tins of tomatoes and 2 x tins of kidney beans.

I usually finish my chilli with a square or two of good quality dark chocolate.

Inexpensive to make. Goes a long way and is delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I made Chilli too!

YLMGyOk.jpg

It's mostly black bean chilli, with some kidney beans and butter beans added in for a bit of variety.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had a roast chicken dinner last night. Onion and herb stuffing, with a bacon lattice on the breast. Roasties and herby roast carrots to accompany, lashings of gravy, with lemon cake for dessert.

Tonight we're having nachos. Home made guac and salsa over warm, cheesy tortilla chips with jalapenos, sour cream and chopped scallions. While we watch Bake Off. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Not posted in ages either and apologies for no pictures, but I made a recipe I posted in the cooking club when still active. I don't make this enough!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93221712

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Makood wrote: »
    Not posted in ages either and apologies for no pictures, but I made a recipe I posted in the cooking club when still active. I don't make this enough!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93221712

I'd love to make these (well, veggie version of them), but unfortunately the husband flat-out refuses to touch anything that came from a cabbage :(

Anyway, I just had some orzo pasta with tomato sauce, roasted veg (aubergine, mushrooms, butternut squash, peppers, onions) and some feta crumbled over.
    Comfort food for a grey day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I haven't made an exciting dinner in ages. Last night we had roast chicken with spicy vegetable rice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

After a weekend away, living on hotel breakfasts, stolen breakfast pastries for lunch, and ready meal dinners I was craving some veggies so it was time for a big korma last night with broccoli, cauliflower, chickpeas, and butternut squash. I'd picked up a mango in Lidl last week and not gotten round to eating it so Himself managed to talk me into making a cheats mango chutney, which was totally delicious with it. And enough left over for tonight and plenty more in the freezer.

Advertisement