Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Vegan ramen, was amazing.

nYrwrt4l.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Bacon & cabbage tonight.

IMG_3255.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Bacon & cabbage tonight.

IMG_3255.jpg[

Or as my 3 say "yum yum pigs bum, cabbage and potatoes" :)

I was supposed to be working late tonight so told the rest to eat without me. Work plans changed so I was home with no dinner prepares for me.

So I had a baked spud with beans and two poached eggs on top, and very tasty it was too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Tried out one of Jamie’s 5 ingredient meals today - Roast Tikka Chicken

(I used korma paste as opposed to tikka)

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/roast-tikka-chicken/

D448_B00_C-8802-4531-_B637-851_CEA653_C0_C.jpg

Doesn’t look much but it was delicious - Kids loved it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Spaghetti Bolognese.

2nja6uq.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Bacon & cabbage tonight.

Me too, had mine with baby spuds and homemade parsley sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Baked ham with mash, turnip and carrots and parsnips with some roasted butternut squash.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Tacos! Bean chilli, salad and all the sides. Everyone ate everything on their plates so we went for a walk then came home and made choc chip cookies. Toddler is getting really into cooking lately and it's doing wonders for his appetite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I had a picnic. Put a throw out on floor and perched on cushions, and had piles of Parma ham, olives, tomatoes, pate, baked cheese, crusty bread, vino. Doors open and rain outside. Wonderful. Mind you the knees are not what they used to be as we got up from cushions.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I started out making a squash and red lentil curry but only had a small amount of red lentils left - so a bit of everything is gone into it. Made it last night for today's dinner and OHs lunch. If I remember I'll post a pic later :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Baked ham with mash, turnip and carrots and parsnips with some roasted butternut squash.

Wow, you really like your starchy veg!
    Where's the sweet potato and celeriac??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

miamee wrote: »
    I started out making a squash and red lentil curry but only had a small amount of red lentils left - so a bit of everything is gone into it. Made it last night for today's dinner and OHs lunch. If I remember I'll post a pic later :)

I was the same with my bolognaise last night. It ended up with soya mince, kidney beans, green lentils, mix of veg, basil, coriander, garlic, tumeric, smoked paprika and loads of liquid smoke. Random hot pot of deliciousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Wow, you really like your starchy veg!
    Where's the sweet potato and celeriac??

Not a fan of celeriac except in soup. Normally I roast butternut squash and sweet potatoes but no sweet potatoes in the press when I looked!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Puy lentil bolognese

1WqRTAG.jpg

I'm actually really really pleased about this; I've got some new vegetarians to cook for, and I was asked to try to convert our longstanding family bolognese recipe into a vegetarian one. While the result is obviously not identical to the meat version, it's not far off and the flavour is still very rich and savoury :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

B0jangles wrote: »
    Puy lentil bolognese

I'm actually really really pleased about this; I've got some new vegetarians to cook for, and I was asked to try to convert our longstanding family bolognese recipe into a vegetarian one. While the result is obviously not identical to the meat version, it's not far off and the flavour is still very rich and savoury :)

That looks great. Did you have to make major adjustments to your normal recipe, or did you just substitute lentils for minced beef? I'm a recent convert to chili con veggie and I'd like to give lentil bolognese a go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

That looks great. Did you have to make major adjustments to your normal recipe, or did you just substitute lentils for minced beef? I'm a recent convert to chili con veggie and I'd like to give lentil bolognese a go :)

Not really - I just cooked the lentils seperately in vegetable stock until they were about 90% done, then put them aside and made up the rest of the sauce as I normally do, including about an hour of gentle sauce simmering to get the flavours to meld, and then stirred in the lentils at the end. I wanted to avoid cooking them very much in the actual sauce in case they turned into mush. So far it's all good!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We're having three cheese macaroni tonight, with smoked bacon and red onion in the sauce a la Nigella, with a leafy salad, tomatoes and garlic bread. If our guest would ever arrive we could tuck in :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

What remained of the squash and red lentil 'bit of everything' curry before I had some last night. Pic is not great. Why are food photos so difficult in non-natural light?

430464.jpg

Chicken Kiev with broccoli mash potato and sweetcorn

BBD57_A8_A-2_A24-404_D-_BE47-_A2_E2804689_C6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Thursday was salmon with veg and mash. So delicious. Hadn't had salmon in a while so enjoyed it more than usual.

Friday was steak, mushrooms and spuds. Yum as always.

Tonight was pizza.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Chickpea and butternut squash curry with coconut and lentil sauce, with spiced roasted potatoes, with pilau rice and fresh chapatis.

hEcfHfG.jpg

Tonight was sea bass with spinach and potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Last night was veggie lasagna and baked potato.

Avocado/pepper toast with potato bravas

yzQMjMal.jpg

Nobody was lifting a finger today so we ordered pizza! :rolleyes:

398_AE2_D3-_A339-46_F3-_A8_ED-685_F267_C3_CC7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Roast pork with mashed swede & roast spuds yesterday.

I also made a stock pot's worth of steak & kidney stew to get us through Ophelia (had it been necessary). We'll be having it for the next few days I think. :o

Famine mentality here today too. I made a huge chicken stew for lunch and then jambalaya for dinner.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Sausage, egg and hash browns for lunch here, followed by chicken in a cream and leek sauce, boiled baby potatoes and broccoli for dinner. I kept waiting for the power to go but we were some of the lucky ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I went a bit mad cooking yesterday seeing as i had nothing to do and a good bit of filo pastry to use up.

I made:

Potato and pea samosas (cumin, curry powder, garam masala, garlic and chilli)
    Chicken cheese rolls (mix of vegan mozzarella, vegan Parmesan and vegan cheddar*)
    Spring rolls (beansprouts, cabbage, carrots, onions, Chinese 5 spice, turmeric)
    Caprese rolls (vegan mozzarella, basil, cherry tomatoes mix of colors) I had balsamic glaze as a dipping sauce

All oven baked too.

I also made the vegan mozzarella from scratch. And then curried veg with basmati rice.

I have loads left over too.

*i'm lactose intolerant and find vegan cheese doesn't upset my stomach

• Advertisement

Yesterday was mash with poached eggs and rashers. Early in the day in case we lost power.

Tonight is chicken salad.

Thought we'd lose power and be without it for a few days (:o) so it'll be salads for us for a couple of days.

Advertisement