Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

kylith wrote: »
    Smoky lentil stew. Was thinking of taking a photo, but Himself and I were too busy fighting over who got the last bit.

What did you use to make it smoky? Sounds lovely, must try that.

I use a lot of liquid smoke and smoked paprika in my cooking now, love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

hello

pistachios

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

What did you use to make it smoky? Sounds lovely, must try that.

a good teaspoon of smoked paprika. I love the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Lots of leftovers and odds and ends - so I threw them all in a lovely tortilla, with a bit of grated smoked cheese on top

2L1rzXy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

What do you use the liquid smoke in? I bought a bottle and never seem to find a reason to use it.

Agree, smoked hot paprika is great :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

arian wrote: »
    What do you use the liquid smoke in? I bought a bottle and never seem to find a reason to use it.

Agree, smoked hot paprika is great :)

Any kind of bolagnaise, chilli, curry, tacos, burrito or marinade that I want to make smoky. Even a smoky pasta sauce. It's nice to take a normal dish and just make it smoky. I fry stuff in it too.

Also make this bacony flavour stuff out of rice paper using it:

vegan-rice-paper-bacon-4.jpg

I love this one and it smells so good.

LN_840279_BP_11.jpg

I've started pouring smoked paprika on my corn chowder as I eat it, end up going through the whole lot of it very fast. used sparingly for the photo :pac:

bsuGJnGl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Do you have a recipe for the corn chowder? It looks delish :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

What makes a stew Mongolian?

Was just about ask for receipe, I had a curry/stew that claimed to be Mongolian and it was nice, with sweet tang to it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Was just about ask for receipe, I had a curry/stew that claimed to be Mongolian and it was nice, with sweet tang to it

Add peanut butter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

https://therecipecritic.com/2015/08/slow-cooker-mongolian-beef/

I used far less brown sugar, and added sliced mushrooms and red peppers, and broccoli towards the end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I had chicken and kale to use up last night so I googled a recipe and found a Sweet Potato, Chicken and Kale one pan dish (my favourite type of dish :pac:)

It turned out quite well for something so simple, I think I overdid it with the chilli flakes but otherwise a warm, tasty, healthy, easy dinner.

431563.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Any kind of bolagnaise, chilli, curry, tacos, burrito or marinade that I want to make smoky. Even a smoky pasta sauce. It's nice to take a normal dish and just make it smoky. I fry stuff in it too.

Also make this bacony flavour stuff out of rice paper using it:

<snip image>

I love this one and it smells so good.

<snip Stubbs image>

I've started pouring smoked paprika on my corn chowder as I eat it, end up going through the whole lot of it very fast. used sparingly for the photo :pac:

<snip image>

Thanks for that.

My liquid smoke is Hot-Headz brand. They're better known for chilli sauces; I think their liquid smoke is somebody else's rebadged.

BBQd ribeye steak, roasted carrots with garlic, and oregano hassleback spuds.

20171027_191837_800x600.jpg

<snip> Please don't quote pics
    cefh17 wrote: »
    Do you have a recipe for the corn chowder? It looks delish :)
    It's one of my favourite meals ever!

To make the sauce you soak a couple handfuls of cashews for 30-60 mins (longer if your blender isn't great), make veg stock with bouillon/water and blend them together with some tumeric until you get to a consistency you want. I use Marigold vegan bouillion powder. Cashews are amazing for sauces.

Chop potatoes to size in photo and par boil, then you fry them to make them crisp up on the outside. Just keep tossing them gently. It makes them have a nice texture with a bit of bite and also stops them falling apart.

Add them to the sauce along with sweetcorn and spinach, heat for a few minutes and it's done. Plenty of smoked paprika on top. Seems pretty basic but the flavour is amazing.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Not often I have a Sunday off, with a bonus lie in. Up at 10, stuffed a few cloves if garlic into a leg of lamb. Diced carrots, hassleback potatoes and green beans. Threw a beef stock cube into the gravy. Wowzers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Went to Le Bon Crubeen last night. Had their chicken liver pate on brioche with grilled plums and hoisin sauce, followed by chicken, sauerkraut and pancetta in a mustard cream sauce, with wholegrain mustard mash. A few cocktails and a bottle of French white were also enjoyed.

Tonight we've got cheesy chicken enchiladas in the oven and a nice chunky home made salsa on the go. Bit of sour cream on top and away we go. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night we had the Cooking Club doner kebabs, there were 9 of us. Tonight we had Sanuk Thai takeaway, sweet chilli chicken and pad katiem prik Thai. Delicious as always :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Went to Le Bon Crubeen last night. Had their chicken liver pate on brioche with grilled plums and hoisin sauce, followed by chicken, sauerkraut and pancetta in a mustard cream sauce, with wholegrain mustard mash. A few cocktails and a bottle of French white were also enjoyed:pac:

I salivated so much, I have to make a booking.

The picture doesn't look like much, but it was soooooo delicious I had to shoo Himself away from the pot. Vegan brown lentil cottage pie (that's my one with cheese on it):

IMG_3079.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I made a kale stir fry from one of the Happy Pear 5 minute recipes in Youtube on Friday. It was pretty tasty. As usual, I throw in whatever I have (some green beans and cherry tomatoes went in as well as the recipe veg) and if I don't have one of the ingredients, I improvise but it still turned out well enough. Served with cous cous.

It did not take only 5 minutes to make :D

432036.jpg

• Advertisement

Nice, their 5 minute meals are great but even if I try and race alongside them I can't do it in 5. Still there are pretty damn quick!

Sweet and sour cauliflower with chips.

IMG_3080.jpg

A 10oz steak tonight. I only finished it off a few mins ago due the busy Halloween night that was in it. With that succulent 10oz steak, cooked medium, I had homemade wedges, crispy onions, mushrooms and pepper sauce. The steak juice that ran off the cut added to the overall experience. Very tasty. Oh I forgot to mention that I had a few slices of garlic bread too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Pan-fried duck breast, finished in the oven to nice pinkness, with leftover reheated balsamic carrots/turnips and roasted potatoes

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I had shep pie the last 2 days. Better the 2nd day. Nomnom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

No picture because stupid phone acting up, but I made this. Quite tasty, but I had to add slightly more mango as the mustard was a bit overpowering. Also 40-45 mins at 200c is a more accurate cooking time.

https://www.aldi.ie/mango-chicken-with-sweet-potato-wedges/p/000000133189000

dibkins wrote: »
    I had shep pie the last 2 days. Better the 2nd day. Nomnom.

What is it about shep/cott pie the next day. Always better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

No pictures because it was just gone too fast, but I made the quinoa taco mix from Thug Kitchen 101, and filled it into some tortilla wraps with some guacamole and fresh veg - unfortunately, they don't seem to have that particular recipe published on their website, so I can't even link :(
    But it was outstandingly delicious!

Avocado toast with chopped tomatoes and poached eggs, nice and quick cos I was heading out. Then after I got home sweet lotus paste bao, which burned the feck out of the roof of my mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Shenshen wrote: »
    No pictures because it was just gone too fast, but I made the quinoa taco mix from Thug Kitchen 101, and filled it into some tortilla wraps with some guacamole and fresh veg - unfortunately, they don't seem to have that particular recipe published on their website, so I can't even link :(
    But it was outstandingly delicious!

That's next in my list. I really love the book.

Nothing very exciting mainly roasted veg all week.

Today I roasted veg but also had baked potato skins with vegan Parmesan

Advertisement