Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

pew wrote: »
    That's next in my list. I really love the book.

Nothing very exciting mainly roasted veg all week.

Today I roasted veg but also had baked potato skins with vegan Parmesan

Same here, best birthday present ever! :)
    I made the vegan "mac and cheese" today, only instead of squash I added cauliflower and broccoli. It was a little too liquid for my liking I'll use half the recommended amount of stock next time, but the taste was unbelievable.

WIuN8iy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I had some leftover mash from yesterday, I made aloo tikki, or a version of it. Absolutely gorgeous if I do say so myself. Topped with finely chopped red onion, almonds, natural yoghurt, coriander and chopped chilli.

I will definitely make them again, maybe next time to get a full dinner from them I will try do a creamy tomato based curry sauce.

And now, I'm about to have brie cheese, crusty roll and some extra virgin olive oil infused with herbs. My husband was in Italy with work and I asked for "something italian" as a gift. He came home with a 1l bottle of oil. He knows me so well :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Good old chilli tonight. Nice and spicy, with cheese, sour cream, rice, jalapenos, sweetcorn and corn chips. Good dinner for a cold night.

Tiramisu for dessert.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Shenshen wrote: »
    Same here, best birthday present ever! :)
    I made the vegan "mac and cheese" today, only instead of squash I added cauliflower and broccoli. It was a little too liquid for my liking I'll use half the recommended amount of stock next time, but the taste was unbelievable.

Happy birthday :)

Happy birthday :)

:D:D:D Thanks, but that was actually in August! But I've been using that book very regularly ever since.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

:D:D:D Thanks, but that was actually in August! But I've been using that book very regularly ever since.

:o :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Lamb korma with basmatic rice and way too much naan bread!

5 minute dinner. Quesadillas with cheese, scallions, jalapenos and sweetcorn, topped with tomato salsa and sour cream. Quick and delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Grilled a rump of lamb on the BBQ tonight, along with some carrots, parsnips & courgette. Oven roasted little cubes of potato and finished it all off with miso garlic butter.

Lamb curry tonight, with onions, tomatoes, spinach, squash and chickpeas. Rice and naan. Sour cream and mango chutney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Last night: rare steak, tenderstem broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, spuds, gravy (had to be used up).

Tonight: Duck fillets, tenderstem broccoli and spuds.

Had the time for some cooking yesterday, so I made us pizzas:

P5mWjhm.jpg

And snow cake with pinapple and mango jam and a coconut cream filling for dessert :

RRKbqiO.jpg

I also filled up the freezer with portions of caponata sauce and braised red cabbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Last night had pulled pork, salad, and topped with goats cheese.

IMG_3082.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

The Hubby made his first stew yesterday and it was divine! The nicest I've ever had. He put in a tin of Guinness and fried off some bacon for it so not the healthiest but he has become such a good cook. Much better than me and I have been cooking since I was a teenager. Not bad for someone who didn't cook his first meal until he was in his 30s!

Chilli with baked potatoes.

2_E3584_B1-_DFD4-47_E4-_AF3_F-5_CF2_BBCA67_C7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Awesome Dizzy. One of my faves. Gonna do it tomorrow, but might add some coleslaw too.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Salmon fillets with butternut squash wedges and carrots and parsnips. Had some veg I needed to use up so chopped up a courgette and radishes. Added spinach and baby tomatoes and pesto.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I had a whole pollock languishing in the freezer since summer so took it out last night to defrost so I'd have to use it. A root through the fridge/presses earlier got me some ginger, birdseye chillis, garlic & coconut milk so fish curry it was!
    Filleted the fish, made stock with the remains, then fried off grated onion, garlic & ginger, added a bit of curry powder, cumin, garam masala, coriander & more chilli flakes to get a nice mix. When it was lovely & golden I added the coconut milk & stock, sliced peppers & more onion then bubbled for a while before putting in the fish. So good for a cold evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Coq au Vin, creamy mash and broccoli

86_FCE975-_B335-47_CA-89_F1-75_C43_C9_EF39_C.jpg

Cottage pie with a filling with red and green lentils, peas, carrots and turnip in a lovely, thick gravy, topped with cheesy mash... autumn food :)

I0e6TSM.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭ellejay

Cottage pie with a filling with red and green lentils, peas, carrots and turnip in a lovely, thick gravy, topped with cheesy mash... autumn food :)

That really looks delicious!!!
    Have mince in the freezer might do that tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Vegan mushroom lasagne. Much tastier than it looks, I promise.

I used hemp milk for the sauce, but it was a bit sweet for my taste.

IMG_3090.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Cottage Pie type thing, I've rather got out of the habit of making a meal from raw ingredients

Cottage_pie.jpg

Mince, potatoes, carrots, peas, onion, red pepper and seasoning.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Homemade black bean soup, spiked with plenty of chillies, cumin and garlic.

Topped with some grated goat's cheese I purchased on special offer from Dunnes Stores.

Forgot to take a pic!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had a Jamie Oliver recipe tonight of homemade naan breads with mango chutney, yoghurt, soft boiled eggs and chilli for dinner. Probably more of a brunch dish bit I was late home and it takes no time at all to make. One of my favourite go-to dishes at the moment.

433054.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

That sounds amazing bazmo. I think I'll try it.
    How did you so perfectly shell such soft eggs? They look poached!

Last night was colcannon, corn cobs, veg sausages for me and chicken for everyone else, thick onion gravy.

Whispered wrote: »
    That sounds amazing bazmo. I think I'll try it.
    How did you so perfectly shell such soft eggs? They look poached!

Yeah it’s so moreish.

It’s from his latest book 5 ingredients recipe book. It’s so easy and quick to do.

His method for getting the eggs so soft is very simple. Just put the eggs into boiling water for exactly 5 and a half minutes and then straight into cold water to stop them cooking. I’ve noticed that they have to be large eggs and you could probably get away with another 10/15 seconds depending on how runny you like them. Also, don’t leave them in the cold water for too long as they can become too cold.

The naans/flatbreads are a total revelation. So simple to make. Just yoghurt, self raising flour and a pinch of salt. I’ve been making whenever I make a curry. I add onion seeds though as they give them a deeper savoury taste.

BaZmO* wrote: »

The naans/flatbreads are a total revelation. So simple to make. Just yoghurt, self raising flour and a pinch of salt. I’ve been making whenever I make a curry. I add onion seeds though as they give them a deeper savoury taste.

Thanks, I'm going to try this. I failed at making roti, maybe yoghurt and raising agent are the trick! Do you cook on gas or electric?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm going to try this. I failed at making roti, maybe yoghurt and raising agent are the trick! Do you cook on gas or electric?

Gas

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Gas

Ah. I have electric. Gas is much better.

Advertisement