Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Weds: Roast chicken, veg, spuds, gravy.
    Thurs: butcher burgers with salad in a brioche bun from Aldi (again).
    Today: Duck, tenderstem broccoli, carrots, spuds, gravy tonight.

Need to try some more variation in my meals, tend to stick with my favourites too much :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Pretty random cupboard night:

Sautéed veges that were at hand: peppers, courgette, tomato with garlic, black olives and fennel seeds. Added some frozen black eye beans too.

Added some red pesto that was selling cheaply in Tesco this week. Served on spaghetti and topped with crunchy seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Gyoza, garlic noodles, miso soup. So very full.

IMG_3093.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Steak fajita salad.

I made up a spice mix from salt, sugar, black pepper, paprika, green herbs, dried garlic and chilli flakes. Then I lashed a couple of striploins into the pan for 90 seconds a side, with a good dose of the spices. While they were resting I threw in some peppers and onions. I served the steak sliced, on top of the vegetables, with salsa, sour cream, jalapenos, grated cheddar, chopped tomatoes and scallions.

So fast and very tasty.

Oh and rice pudding for dessert with amaretto soaked raisins, orange zest and cream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Aldi’s Argentinian King Prawns, some regular prawns and chorizo in a vermouth sauce. All soaked up with crusty bread.

0_DCF4998-3397-4850-_B0_CC-_FE19_D3_AE1_BA4.jpg

Aldi’s Argentinian King Prawns, some regular prawns and chorizo in a vermouth sauce. All soaked up with crusty bread.

Looks amazing! I've never cooked with vermouth, but would like to try... Does it last long after it's opened? Any brand you would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Looks amazing! I've never cooked with vermouth, but would like to try... Does it last long after it's opened? Any brand you would recommend?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's used in lobster thermador. It mars well with shellfish. A bottle should keep fairly well also.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I found some oxtail in the freezer last night, so cooked it up as a stew tonight with smoked pancetta, red wine, chestnut rooms etc. Served with crushed potatoes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

igCorcaigh wrote: »

I usually use vermouth in cooking instead of white wine. A bottle costs €6 in Lidl and because you only use a small amount, it lasts for months!

I added a bit too much tonight so it was quite sweet. I could have added some more chilli to counteract the sweetness.

• Advertisement

I usually use vermouth in cooking instead of white wine. A bottle costs €6 in Lidl and because you only use a small amount, it lasts for months!

I added a bit too much tonight so it was quite sweet. I could have added some more chilli to counteract the sweetness.

Oh thanks for that! I tend not to buy wine much as it goes stale, must have a look around in Lidl, didn't realise it was that cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Vermouth is a fortified wine, often with some oxidisation as well. So it does last longer than wine when opened, but not indefinitely. It can be dry or sweet, red or white, so you need to understand the kind that you're buying.

dudara wrote: »
    Vermouth is a fortified wine, often with some oxidisation as well. So it does last longer than wine when opened, but not indefinitely. It can be dry or sweet, red or white, so you need to understand the kind that you're buying.

Cheers! I'll search for the dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Had a Jamie Oliver recipe tonight of homemade naan breads with mango chutney, yoghurt, soft boiled eggs and chilli for dinner. Probably more of a brunch dish bit I was late home and it takes no time at all to make. One of my favourite go-to dishes at the moment.

I've been making this nearly every second day since last week. It's one of my favourite recipes. It's so tasty.

Pasta bake tonight. Very lazy.

Macaroni with a jar of Lidl's tomato and mascarpone sauce, with some fried sliced mushrooms, a can of sweetcorn and a handful of chopped jalapenos thrown in. Topped with a mound of cheese and baked. Delish.

Pasta bake tonight. Very lazy.

Macaroni with a jar of Lidl's tomato and mascarpone sauce, with some fried sliced mushrooms, a can of sweetcorn and a handful of chopped jalapenos thrown in. Topped with a mound of cheese and baked. Delish.

Oh that sounds good. Haven't made a pasta bake in a while, my go to would be sausage & rigatoni.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Vegan pizza - I love small mushrooms cooked fully through like that on a pizza, mm!
    HujInJal.jpg

Vegan pizza - I love small mushrooms cooked fully through like that on a pizza, mm!

They look like magic mushrooms, lol!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had shoulder of pork last night - there was gravy and crackling too. I finished the crackling in the Airfryer and it was light and crisp.

IMG_3366.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Last night I made turkey and spinach burgers. I cooked it with buffalo sauce and melted some Edam on it. I took out some extra bread from the bun and filled it with sauteed mushrooms and onions with garlic sauce.

Tonight I made turnip and potato mashed with some curry powder and roasted Brussels sprouts, broccoli, artichoke, leeks and sun dried tomato.

• Advertisement

Tonight we had roast loin of pork (never my cut of choice) stuffed with white pudding, with roasted potatoes, carrots and parsnips, with a beautiful creamy sauce made with pork stock, sage, apple juice and juices from the roasting pan, and apple sauce.

Rice pudding for dessert with amaretto soaked raisins, orange zest and cinnamon.

Pure comfort dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

My (vegetarian) wife had this beauty sitting on the table for me this evening when I got in.

LrxNMw.jpg

Pic took before I covered the steak in sauce and made a pig of myself .

She's a keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

A thing of beauty Rick Shaw!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Lasagna and chips :)

IMG_3371.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Lovely stuff Dizzy! I'd only add some slaw and a small bit of salad, but that looks bloody great.

Eddie Rockets last night. M50 burger (full of grilled mushrooms and onions), a half and half (fries and onion rings) and a chocolate malt. Plus a good friend and a long chin wag. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Eddie Rockets last night. M50 burger (full of grilled mushrooms and onions), a half and half (fries and onion rings) and a chocolate malt. Plus a good friend and a long chin wag. :pac:

M50 burger is sooo good. Used to love that when we had Eddie Rockets in Cork :(

leahyl wrote: »
    M50 burger is sooo good. Used to love that when we had Eddie Rockets in Cork :(

Sorry for your loss!

Conversely new Eddie Rockets are springing up everywhere in Dublin.

I can't believe there's no Eddie's in Cork! Every small town seems to have one up this end, I was in one in Naas a couple of weeks ago.

We had lasagna again tonight - it's one of the few dinners I'll eat two nights in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I can't believe there's no Eddie's in Cork! Every small town seems to have one up this end, I was in one in Naas a couple of weeks ago.

I think the only one down the south side of the country now is in Killarney. I'm in Limerick and we used to have three.

Advertisement