Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Potatoes mashed with turnip with fried mushroom and onion smothered it's peppercorn sauce

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Cooking now: Beef, Tomato & Cabbage Stew

A variation of this.

I subbed the potatoes for chickpeas, and added fennel seed and paprika.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had home made burgers and chips with lots of onion and ketchup.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Cheesy tomato pasta bake with meatballs, and extra cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,336 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

made Beef Wellington for the first time for Sunday Lunch, got plenty of complements. Not actually that much work but still took me a couple hours to leisurely go through the steps. Was paranoid it would come out under or over cooked but it came out a perfect pink and was melt in the mouth. Served with a red wine gravy, glazed carrots and cheated with supermarket mash. the beef was 24€ but there are 8 slices in it so itsnt that expensive. will make it again over xmas

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Casserole.jpg

Beef and veg casserole - beef (Aldi super six), organic onions, beetroot, potatoes, carrots, with some beans and cider thrown in. Actually my first go at this, previously I'd have done it as a stew. Baking it took about 2 and a half hours in the main oven rather than half that on the hob but I'm glad I bothered as I really prefer the taste of a casserole.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

We had honey and mustard chicken breasts with boiled bacon and veg for main but we had some leftover pancakes from breakfast so it had to be Crêpe Suzette served with whipped cream.

386_E4213-_CEED-4449-8_DB2-11_D9579476_BE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭missyb01

Picture speaks for itself but was absolutely perfect after a few hours in the park and a walk on the beach

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I did a roast chicken this evening too. Been ages since week had one for the Sunday dinner. HB Jr II gave me a "Hollywood Handshake" for my gravy. I was chuffed - he's an expert. :)

Beef and veg casserole - beef (Aldi super six), organic onions, beetroot, potatoes, carrots, with some beans and cider thrown in. Actually my first go at this, previously I'd have done it as a stew. Baking it took about 2 and a half hours in the main oven rather than half that on the hob but I'm glad I bothered as I really prefer the taste of a casserole.

Beetroot in a casserole? Must give it a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Pizza

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Sausage & bean casserole with herby Cumberland sausages. I had leftover loin of bacon with brown sugar & mustard glaze on it so I added cubes of that too. It was fab :)

IMG_3392.jpg

So, I made chicken & veg soup, but it's a bit gummy because of the barley I added. Maybe I should not have blended it...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    So, I made chicken & veg soup, but it's a bit gummy because of the barley I added. Maybe I should not have blended it...

Probably not.
    I'd only use barley in a broth, never in a blended soup.

Baked potato with bacon, taleggio and leek

(Since I never heard of taleggio let alone seen it for sale, I used Camembert!)

1746_D3_AF-70_CA-4_EDE-_B3_D4-_F5_B0_D44_AD74_F.jpg

Been meal prepping this week. Today is sweet potato balls, roast cauliflower and tomatoes, fried mushrooms, wilted spinach, and a fried egg.

IMG_3112.jpg

Had a dry run for Christmas dinner - king prawns in whiskey cream sauce (underseasoned) and beef wellington (delicious, but overcooked).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Roast pork fillet, roast carrots and potato wedges. Got out my dinky one-egg frying pan that I questioned buying but which has turned out to be very handy and made a sauce from the juice of half a lemon, a dsp of golden syrup, 3/4 tsp whole grain mustard, 1/2 tsp sriracha sauce, a shake of garlic powder, a splash of water and salt and pepper. Finished with a tsp of propaaah greek yoghurt stirred in at the end. The perfect amount of sauce for two people. It was really bloody tasty if I do say so. I'm a bit terrified of pork fillet because it is so easy to overcook and make dry, but I also love it because it's so versatile, tender, tasty, chape and quick to roast/fry. Also easy on the waistline compared to other pig products.

24174248_10212108283156579_2118386168623609196_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

roasted chicken with veggies

Mexican shredded beef, served with tomato salsa, guacamole, natural yogurt in pitta breads. DEEC8733-_C2_A2-43_F2-8_FC2-_A8_F8_BF33_E16_F.jpg

https://www.afamilyfeast.com/mexican-shredded-beef/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Aloo Tikki that I made 2 weeks ago with leftover mash and froze. Served with yoghurt, fresh coriander and almonds on top.

They taste as good from frozen but I find they go gooey when defrosting and are harder to cook without it becoming mush. Would it help if I dusted them with flour before freezing?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,336 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

kylith wrote: »
    Had a dry run for Christmas dinner - king prawns in whiskey cream sauce (underseasoned) and beef wellington (delicious, but overcooked).

how long did you cook the wellington for? a couple of weeks back I did 30 minutes and the meat was great but the pastry looked a little pale, was wondering whether to try 35min or 40 at a push

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Made a beef curry in the slow cooker, with pilau rice on the side. (Taken from boards slow cooker recipe sticky)

It was amazing.

kLWTEa.jpg

silverharp wrote: »
    how long did you cook the wellington for? a couple of weeks back I did 30 minutes and the meat was great but the pastry looked a little pale, was wondering whether to try 35min or 40 at a push

I honestly forgot to time it :o I cooked it until the pastry had a good colour, but the beef was overcooked, but still delicious. I'm thinking that if I roll the pastry out a bit it might cook more quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

silverharp wrote: »

If the meat was perfect, I'd just go a bit hotter for the same time or a couple of minutes less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I was watching an old episode of the Great Australian bake-off a couple of days ago and one of the judges emphasized how the duxelle layer in a wellington protects the meat from cooking too much. I'd never heard that before, I just thought it was in there for flavour, but if it's true, then it might be an idea to make an extra thick layer of duxelle?

B0jangles wrote: »
    I was watching an old episode of the Great Australian bake-off a couple of days ago and one of the judges emphasized how the duxelle layer in a wellington protects the meat from cooking too much. I'd never heard that before, I just thought it was in there for flavour, but if it's true, then it might be an idea to make an extra thick layer of duxelle?

I did do a duxelle, and it was delicious all by itself, but I wouldn't say I had a very thick layer; mushrooms cook down a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Belly pork, rubbed with fennel seeds, salt and sugar and slow roasted for over 2 hours. Salad potatoes and a green veg medley to accompany

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Cocksy

going to cook Beef with Broccoli

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

rice with chicken and veggies

Advertisement