Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

https://www.cauldronfoods.co.uk/products/range/aduki-bean-melt

They're in the freezers with the vegetarian dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Was in town for an event this evening and didn’t fancy cooking. So had chips & curry sauce from the Super Miss Sue chipper. Damn good chips

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Chicken Salad here tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Went to Good World Chinese Restaurant with family and had the set meal for 3: Hot and sour soup, crispy duck pancakes, stir fried veg, crispy beef, spicy chicken, prawns in black bean, szechuan noodles.

I am not a fan of spicy food and I was able to eat it all with only moderate lip burning, so I suspect that for a fan of hot food it wouldn't be spicy at all.

I was hoping for something more exotic and unusual in elegant surroundings, but it was standard, but good, Chinese restaurant fare in unremarkable surroundings. In the end it was nothing to write home about, but it was nothing to complain about either. Service was efficient and we all left full, if not wowed.

arian wrote: »
    Coincidentally, read a shakshuka blog post this morning:
    http://www.afeliaskitchen.com/shakshuka/
    She talks convincingly about the relative amount of tomatoes, but I was a little worried by

Every recipe I've seen for Shakshuka says to cover, and my eggs are always overcooked. I'll try not covering them next time, see how that goes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

kylith wrote: »
    Every recipe I've seen for Shakshuka says to cover, and my eggs are always overcooked. I'll try not covering them next time, see how that goes.

I've never covered my eggs and they always turn out fine. I can pm you the link to my recipe if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

kylith wrote: »
    Went to Good World Chinese Restaurant with family and had the set meal for 3: Hot and sour soup, crispy duck pancakes, stir fried veg, crispy beef, spicy chicken, prawns in black bean, szechuan noodles.

I am not a fan of spicy food and I was able to eat it all with only moderate lip burning, so I suspect that for a fan of hot food it wouldn't be spicy at all.

I was hoping for something more exotic and unusual in elegant surroundings, but it was standard, but good, Chinese restaurant fare in unremarkable surroundings. In the end it was nothing to write home about, but it was nothing to complain about either. Service was efficient and we all left full, if not wowed.

It's an OK-good Chinese restaurant, but as you said, it's nothing to write home about either. It's long established and a lot of people have good memories associated with it, which keeps it popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Roast chicken and all the trimmings. Been along time since I have cooked a roast dinner. It was lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

today is Friday it''s mean pizza dinner

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Same for me, pizza every Friday, here is today's with some new vegan cheeses at my local Italian.

PSoWo7Tl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I had a real Friday night style dinner (If you know what I mean)!

Barbecued, (fall of the bone) rack of Ribs served wirh a baked potato, corn on the cob and a side of American style (think KFC style) gravy.

Only thing missing was an ice cold beer.

XrU4TM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Stuffed baked mushrooms, potato gratin and braised red cabbage.

9IjJ8SS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Braised lamb shanks with mash, & fried scallion & tomato gravy.

Also made a big pot of balti-like curry with lamb shoulder & cauliflower for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Aldis festive range nut roast. The quinoa, root vegetables and cheddar one. Disgusting pile of mush tbh.

I did however make the nicest mash ever. The secret is way too much butter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

First time using the sous vide I impulsively bought in the sales.. Pork tenderloin with roast butternut squash mash that had been tossed in bacon fat, and salad containing that crispy bacon

n437QqI.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Haggis (M&S), neeps, tatties (champ), peas, apple sauce and onion gravy.

Delicious baby food!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Used the slow cooker for the first time and made a gorgeous stew. Meat was absolutely melt in the mouth. There's plenty left over for tomorrow's dinner too :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I made a stew in the slow cooker too. And porridge bread. Both recipes were from the national rehabilitation hospital cook book.

attachment.php?attachmentid=435897&d=1512933246[\img]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Munt1core

Roasted chicken legs with a side of mixed veggies stir-fryed in oyster sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Egg fried rice with sweet and spicy sticky mushrooms and broccoli

0hyV0xr.jpg

• Advertisement

Peanut stew with spinach, brown rice, and fake chicken. And enough left over for lunches today. Mmmmm, full and happy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I really love peanut butter stew, one of my favourite things!

Here is the first place I found it but I do it a bit differently now.

TheVeganStoner-PeanutStew.jpg

Fry some onions in a pot, add a tin of tomatoes, a few big spoons of peanut butter - more the better! Peel and cube potatoes quite small and add them, tin of chickpeas, fill the pot up with water and let it sit on a really low heat until it looks done/potatoes are soft (like 30-60 mins depending). Can do it much faster with a potato in the microwave but I like the slower cooked ones. Can also throw in whatever like spinach, broccoli and it's great!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Sounds lovely! Would it work with other nut butters, like almond? I'm assuming it would?

Never tried but should be no problem Quickbeam, sounds nice!

I really love peanut butter stew, one of my favourite things!

Here is the first place I found it but I do it a bit differently now.

Fry some onions in a pot, add a tin of tomatoes, a few big spoons of peanut butter - more the better! Peel and cube potatoes quite small and add them, tin of chickpeas, fill the pot up with water and let it sit on a really low heat until it looks done/potatoes are soft (like 30-60 mins depending). Can do it much faster with a potato in the microwave but I like the slower cooked ones. Can also throw in whatever like spinach, broccoli and it's great!

I simmer onion, garlic, and ginger in veg stock for about 15 minutes. While that's cooking I mix 1/2 cup tomato paste with 3/4 cup peanut butter then mix them together. I serve over brown rice and stick in spinach and fake chicken.

Love it. So good and comforting.

Tonight was a tomatoey, ricey, cabbage thing with sweetcorn, peas, and black beans. Hearty and nutritious. It was going to be cabbage parcels simmered in tomato sauce, but none of the cabbage leaves were big enough.

Slow cooked American style beef stew.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had a pub grub Christmas meal in work at lunchtime yesterday. Garlic mushrooms to start (which were actually amazing - I think they were dipped in seasoned flour, then deep fried, and drizzled with a really good garlic mayo) followed by roast beef with carrots, cabbage, roasties, mash and gravy. I was in an absolute food coma after and couldn't manage dessert - or dinner afterwards last night! Last night I had some salted nuts and a cuppa around 7pm and that was it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Slow cooked American style beef stew.

Nice.
    What makes it American style??

Nice.
    What makes it American style??

It's cooked with paprika and tomatoes which I guess gives it it's American twist. I got the recipe years ago from a taste of the South recipe site. (South Carolina) and the author recommends eating with rice (he what?) Or corn bread.

I just eat as is.

• Advertisement

I had the below poured over a baked potato and it was class.

311070011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=c0b72413f3ca111f0730e2c808d4b9cb

Advertisement