Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Just stewing beef.

Have you been Browning your beef before putting it in the SC?

I have but these slow cooker recipes are meant to be easy peasy!

Then you also have the issue of thickening the broth.

I have just found that the effort doesn't match the end product. Just of of those that hasn't worked for me.

I haven't used paprika before though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

I have but these slow cooker recipes are meant to be easy peasy!

Then you also have the issue of thickening the broth.

I have just found that the effort doesn't match the end product. Just of of those that hasn't worked for me.

I haven't used paprika before though.

Try doing that stew I posted

Do it in the exact steps I posted, (giving it a Good mix up before switching it on so everything is mixed together real good)

Let me know what you think

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Try doing that stew I posted

Do it in the exact steps I posted, (giving it a Good mix up before switching it on so everything is mixed together real good)

Let me know what you think

What setting do you use on the slow cooker. Low, medium or high? I'd imagine only 8 hrs would require medium or high. I found if you used high the contents were nearly boiling losing its flavour in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

8 hrs is low heat,4hrs high heat, once in dont take lid off till done,over 8 hours on low is fine too, you can use a cornflour mix to thicken,either at the beginning or half hour from the end,mix it with a few drops of water and stir in

honestly,its the easiest and tastiest way to make beef stew imo,in the slow cooker,i dont use paprika myself,but method is much the same as one posted above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Some slow cookers like mine have a removable saucer that you can brown the beef in which helps add that extra bit of flavour. Though I like to add the carrots and potatoes around half way through personally so they have a little bit of texture left. Check out the sticky for slow cooking recipes, you're bound to find something you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Ah lads, the slow cooker has its moments but for a stew or casserole, its a pot or dish, on the hob or in the oven. Sorry. Had to say it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Ah lads, the slow cooker has its moments but for a stew or casserole, its a pot or dish, on the hob or in the oven. Sorry. Had to say it.:D

Ah I think for a stew or casserole you can lob in there and come back to after work it does serve a purpose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

We had burritos with black bean stew on Sunday night, with homemade guacamole and tomato salsa on the side.

I had some stew left over, so turned the rest into black bean burgers for tea yesterday, and made a side of sweet potato chips. And damn tasty it was, too. :D

cod fish cakes from aldi,goose fat air fried chips ,and petis pois .. or fish n chips :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Won't win any plating prizes, but tasty nonetheless.

Toasted baguette with cream cheese, kiln roasted salmon from Aldi, and some quick pickle cucumber I lashed together.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Shredded pork burritos last night.

Roast chicken, mash, carrots and gravy tonight.

It's the husband's birthday tomorrow so heading out for a late boozy lunch at a nice fish restaurant. :) We both have the day off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Chicken and mixed bean stew, nice and tasty

I went really down market today for all the family. We dined in a McDonalds! Did some Christmas shopping and then it was a case of, I am not cooking tonight!

No photo required!

I was working very late yesterday (and again today), so I had a pre-prepared dinner. Imam bayildi (slow-stewed aubergine with peppers, tomatoes and spices) with feta and olives, with some bread and houmous with sundried tomatoes on the side.
    Very, very tasty, and just the thing to fill you up but not slow you down.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I went really down market today for all the family. We dined in a McDonalds! Did some Christmas shopping and then it was a case of, I am not cooking tonight!

No photo required!

I love a cheeky McDo's. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I had fresh plaice last nighy with homemade fries, Tartare sauce and salad. I don't know why but I really have gone off fish in the last couple of years. I used to eat it nearly everyday. The fish was perfect last night but could only make myself eat a small amount.

Stir fried some jumbo prawn with broccoli, peppers, onio
    n, and some (pretty much my staple base) garlic, ginger, onion and scallion

Add in some egg noodles.

Stir fry.

Splash of dark soy sauce.

Tbsp of honey.

Good sprinkle of Thai 7 spice. I throw in a bit of chopped chilli, but that's optional.

k1gmOA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Veg curry, egg fried rice and spring rolls.

All homemade.

Special birthday lunch yesterday for the husband. He had scallops followed by monkfish while I had brisket croquettes followed by hake. We also enjoyed a bottle of Prosecco and a little shot of whiskey afterwards. Dinner was a chaurcuterie board in the pub with some craft beers later that night. :-)

• Advertisement

Special birthday lunch yesterday for the husband. He had scallops followed by monkfish while I had brisket croquettes followed by hake. We also enjoyed a bottle of Prosecco and a little shot of whiskey afterwards. Dinner was a chaurcuterie board in the pub with some craft beers later that night. :-)

Now you're talkin!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Aldi's parsnip/carrot and goat cheese vegetarian bake from their frozen Christmas food range with stuffing (Lidl's Deluxe Wild Sage and Red Onion), goose fat roasties and onion gravy.

On a dark damp evening like that, there's only one dish for it.

Chilli with red pepper, and kidney beans, served with baked potatoes, sprinkled with grated cheese and nachos on the side.

Kids loved it too.

06m6q8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Old stand by (at this stage) Sausage roll with something green (Kale)

Sausage_Roll_with_kale_2.jpg

That's a posh Sausage roll.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

Mackerel oven-baked in foil with a smidge of lemon juice. Served with little roast spudies and leaves dressed with a dressing made with lemon juice, garlic mayo and a little of the liquid that came off the mackerel in the oven. Also a little dollop of leftover garlic chilli sauce from Friday evening's chipper dinner. :P

15337482_10209052789971159_9086552482707385980_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Homemade Beef Burger, mashed potatoes, turnip, carrot, brussel sprouts, cabbage, long stem broccoli and gravy....aah v nice

Lousy weather, so I made a pot of minestrone to warm us up. With some of Lidl's baguette on the side, it was just the thing.

And I've got a little left over for my lunch today.

I've just finished a pre-christmas clear out of the freezer! I went for a mega mixed grill!

The plate- Homemade burger with an egg on top. A Chicken fillet. Sausages. Bacon. Onion rings and some grilled tomatoe. Oh..I had chips with that too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Tonight I had a mountain of mash and petit pois, squeezed on some salad cream, mashed it all together and stuck 6 sausages into it.

It's all gone now.

Advertisement