Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

Bbq pork loin, potato salad with parsley, fried spinach with garlic and salsa verde. Beer not included in pic but definitely present.

20180128_194946_800x450.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bunalunhoney

Love the smallie's plate Dónal!:D

Love the smallie's plate D!:D

Thanks! Unfortunately even with the plate she's still throwing her dinner on the ground for the dog, but we'll struggle on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Mushroom Carbonara. Then everything I could get my hands on.

Being a Hunger the night after a party when there's loads of crisps and biccies about is a dangerous thing. No-one tell my diet app what I got up to, ok?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Fish cake with green lentils, kimchi, pickled onions and mustard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ramen!

nGhceNml.jpg

Ramen!

Looks great! At home or eat out?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It was from Yumo in Dublin, I really have to learn how to make it myself as it tastes amazing, good for you and you feel great after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I got a carbon steel wok this weekend, I'm finally in possession of a wok again since the kitchen is done! Made spicy beef noodle stir fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I made a low carb vegan lasagna. I used courgette in replace of pasta sheets.

I had chilli and garlic green beans on the side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Make a delicious vegetarian curry tonight - cauliflower, chickpea, boiled egg and coconut curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Accidentally bought way too much broccoli (essentially, I had forgotten I has some at home when walking into Lidl and seeing it on offer for 49c - how can you say no to that?), so I made us macaroni cheese with lots and lots of broccoli thrown in. It was nice, warm and filling, just what I needed after the first swim of the year. And I can pretend that the broccoli made it somehow healthier :D

All the broccoli was gone in my local Lidl. Every scrap of it. They had none last week either. I need to find out what's happening cos I love broccoli. Their cauliflowers have gone very small too.

Anyway. last night Himself requested 'Fajitas' so I threw some fake chicken in a pan with mushrooms, garlic, shredded cabbage, sweetcorn, mixed beans and a good shake of my homemade fajita/pulled pork spice mix. Served in a Mediterranean wrap with salsa for him and sour cream for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,123 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I know this could be blasphemy but I find frozen broccoli tastes as good as fresh broccoli

zell12 wrote: »
    I know this could be blasphemy but I find frozen broccoli tastes as good as fresh broccoli

Nah, I like my broccoli practically raw, or actually raw to dip in hummus, so the frozen stuff won't cut it.

Yeah i always hear it's as good but it really isn't unless you are roasting it or something. Definitely not for "al dente" broccoli like you like. I buy the frozen a lot to supplement my fresh stuff as otherwise it all goes off heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

zell12 wrote: »

I think it does keep the taste well enough, but the texture is just gone once it's been frozen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

+1 for frozen broccoli (and cauliflower). But then, I don't eat it as a "side", it usually just goes in to dishes so I don't think the fresh has any advantages in those cases, but it does have the disadvantage of potentially going off before I'm done using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Big fan of the tenderstem broccoli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

quickbeam wrote: »
    +1 for frozen broccoli (and cauliflower). But then, I don't eat it as a "side", it usually just goes in to dishes so I don't think the fresh has any advantages in those cases, but it does have the disadvantage of potentially going off before I'm done using it.

May not be important, but I think there's an issue with frozen broccoli lacking some phytonutrient. I think radishes can reactivate it.

OK, not dinner, but lunch.
    Kale and potato omelette with lentils.

IMAG0120.jpg

Edit: Thanks Dizzyblonde for help with the image embedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Brotchán, so simple yet so fecking delicious and filling. I never have pinhead oatmeal so just use normal stuff and it works just as well.

The recipe I have is pretty much; add large knob of butter to saucepan, then half milk/half stock and let it bubble. Add large handful of porridge, cook for five minutes and then add leeks & seasoning, let simmer for 30 mins. :pac::D
    About 800ml of liquid to 2 large leeks.

Brotchán, so simple yet so fecking delicious and filling. I never have pinhead oatmeal so just use normal stuff and it works just as well.

The recipe I have is pretty much; add large knob of butter to saucepan, then half milk/half stock and let it bubble. Add large handful of porridge, cook for five minutes and then add leeks & seasoning, let simmer for 30 mins. :pac::D
    About 800ml of liquid to 2 large leeks.

What? Leek porridge?

Edit: so I just googled brotchan and... well, you learn something new every day. Cheers for that. But I'm not sure if I'll ever know how it tastes...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    OK, not dinner, but lunch.
    Kale and potato omelette with lentils.

(one of these days I'll learn to embed images).

Upload them onto Postimage for free, then copy and paste the hotlink for forums :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    What? Leek porridge?

Edit: so I just googled brotchan and... well, you learn something new every day. Cheers for that. But I'm not sure if I'll ever know how it tastes...

I was very skeptical at first too, it's in one of these old cooking books I'm working through. But it's pretty much only the cost of a couple of leeks so figured it was worth a try and I adored it. Go on, give it a shot :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I made chicken breasts in the slow cooker, shredded the whole lot, served it with rice and different veg and sauces in wraps. A good way to get veg into the kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭ellejay

Melendez wrote: »

I watched that and wondered what they would taste like.
    Did you try the carbonara type meal, he used creme fraiche.
    I've searched "Tinternet" but can't find it.

made the one from cooking club last night, very tasty, but not so diety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Not posting this in the slow cooker recipe thread because it's not really a recipe, but a few things I threw together this morning as I knew I would be coming home to an empty house and knew I'd be hungry.

Had half a pork loin left that I rubbed with pulled pork seasoning, peeled then split 2 carrots length ways, couple of spuds (as always I left skin on) a deseeded and chopped chilli, small tin of sweetcorn, and half filled sweetcorn tin with water then threw that in. Tbs of tomato puree and a bayleaf.

Cooked on low from 8am til 6pm. It was delicious (maybe a case of hunger being good sauce)

Advertisement