Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Dinner tonight was striploins with mash and mashed carrot and parsnip. And gravy.

I had to cremate mine cos I'm pregnant. A crime, I tells ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ah yes I did not have salt in the water and I did not stir much because I was worried I might break the pasta so will do both of those things next time.

I'm going to try ravioli next so any suggestions for a vegetarian filling with more flavour than ricotta and spinach?

Dinner tonight was quinoa salad packed with tomatoes, avocado, scallion, sesame seeds, almonds, pumpkin seeds, feta and pomegranate. Covered in a fresh basil, garlic, pomegranate juice and lemon dressing which I bashed together with a mortar and pestle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Whispered wrote: »

I'm going to try ravioli next so any suggestions for a vegetarian filling with more flavour than ricotta and spinach?

Sweet potato?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

I have smoked haddock and spinach bake. Shallow fried some sliced potatoes and topped with eggs for extra bulk, will post pics later. It's the perfect cold weather food (except for stew!)

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Sweet potato?

The only way I enjoy sweet potato is as fries. You'd swear I was 3 :o

Thanks for the suggestion though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Whispered wrote: »

Depends how much time you have to do it, but I'd suggest roasted vegetables.
    Chop some courgettes, peppers, onions, mushrooms, aubergines and garlic (feel free to omit any you don't have or like), throw on a lined baking tray with a few sprigs of rosemary, drizzle with olive oil and rub in, then into the oven for 20 - 30 minutes (depending on how roughly you chopped them).
    Take them out, let them cool a bit, then put them in a blender with some seasoning (salt and pepper, chili if you like). Add breadcrumbs if the mixture is a bit watery once blended, and you've got yourself a filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Last night was swede and mustard mash topped cottage pie (mash was awful!) Tonight is little green spoons pad thai recipe- hoping its more successful then last nights dinner! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Dinner tonight was striploins with mash and mashed carrot and parsnip. And gravy.

I had to cremate mine cos I'm pregnant. A crime, I tells ya!

Congrats! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Last night was mini turkey burgers flavoured with garlic, ginger, coriander etc.

Served with lettuce wraps, some salads and a spicy peanut sauce (mix of peanut butter, sriracha and water to loosen)

Inspired by Whispered, I made homemade pasta last night and bolognese today. My daughter ate so much pasta but not that much bolognese (I liked it!).

First time making pasta even though I had bought a pasta machine years ago that was just gathering dust.

20180206_200735_800x600.jpg
    20180207_194809_800x600.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Tonight we had pan fried salmon with stir fried veg and brown and wild rice. I made a sauce of soy, honey, garlic and chilli. It was delicious but I made a little too much sauce and drowned the rice somewhat. :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Shoyu Ramen! (noodles, teriyaki tofu, shiitake, bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, spring onion, edamame, spinach). So good.

uQaGMlvl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Went to FXB on Crow St. and since there were 4 of us we wound up getting a pair of porterhouses

IMG_3214.jpg

And totally delicious they were too. I even gnawed on the bone a bit after (well, if you're not supposed to they shouldn't give it to you!)

IMG_3219.jpg

Treated myself and my mam to dinner out at a local Chinese. I had tofu in black bean and green pepper sauce and she had fillet beef curry.

Absolutely fab food and huge portions so we got a doggie bag and I now have a very happy and full husband too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Pizza night. Plain one for the kids.

attachment.php?attachmentid=441171&d=1518207560[\img]

My pizza was much the same, but with peppers and I had a can of sardines, so stuck 4 pieces of that on the top too. Didn't eat it all, so leftovers for breakfast/lunch. Oh and the sauce was made with passata, a bulb of garlic, and 2 red onions. I love being sneaky with the kids, getting the veg into them!

attachment.php?attachmentid=441174&d=1518207990[\img]

Had a go at prawn tempura, as a side for the leftover pizza above. I liked it anyway, but it destroyed the oil in the fryer.

attachment.php?attachmentid=441238&d=1518282502[\img]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Chicken wings for the match, used a new method to get them crispy as they were cooked in the oven and they were amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Chicken wings for the match, used a new method to get them crispy as they were cooked in the oven and they were amazing

Care to share what the method was?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Home alone so it was a quick and easy to cook dinner (bung in the oven and heat in a wok)

Went with Aldis piri piri chicken thighs (oven for 20m pour on sauce back in oven for 5 mins) and had some rice and bean stir fry (also from Aldi)

The plan was to put half the chicken into a Tupperware box and have either later with a cold beer or tomorrow with some salad, but both of these ideas have been scuppered due to me eating everything tonight. :o

Jesus but that piri piri chicken is excellent stuff and great value at 3euro a pack.

Did the rice and beans in the wok with some lime juice and seasoning.

Great dinner. It was very satisfying.

• Advertisement

Weekly curry : Tarka dahl with yellow and red lentils, coconut scented rice, vegetable pakoras, fresh chapatis, popadums and mango chutney.

Can't even get off the sofa now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Picked up the M&S valentines day dine in for 2 offer last night. Such a lot of food for €25. All with a bottle of Prosecco.

Had the turkey, stuffing, bacon roll things with home made roasters with roasted carrots and parsnips. Stuffed!

Thought it was funny that some of the dishes had a best by/use date of the 13/02/18 :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Picked up the M&S valentines day dine in for 2 offer last night. Such a lot of food for €25. All with a bottle of Prosecco.

Had the turkey, stuffing, bacon roll things with home made roasters with roasted carrots and parsnips. Stuffed!

Thought it was funny that some of the dishes had a best by/use date of the 13/02/18 :D

Give her roses and food poisoning :D:D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Sausage and broad bean casserole with turmeric rice.

IMAG0124_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

beertons wrote: »
    Had a go at prawn tempura, as a side for the leftover pizza above. I liked it anyway, but it destroyed the oil in the fryer.

attachment.php?attachmentid=441238&d=1518282502[\img]

I've been there.:rolleyes: Had a get together a couple of weeks back. Scrubbed the fryer, new oil and after a few rounds of spring rolls and chicken wings, the oil was bunched. One night! I can only imagine what the prawns did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Care to share what the method was?

Yep - I’m sure some use it already as it was the first I found on google. 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon of baking powder into bowl with wings. Mix with your hands

Place on cooking rack in a baking tray, cook at 120 degrees for 30 mins, increase heat to 220 degrees for another 40 mins

Coat in sauce and savour

Vegetable pies and new potatoes:

qUfZsH7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

cefh17 wrote: »
    I have smoked haddock and spinach bake. Shallow fried some sliced potatoes and topped with eggs for extra bulk, will post pics later. It's the perfect cold weather food (except for stew!)

Completely forgot about this!
    3834e79b4bb1953dfe0337aec4e83714.jpg

Made sourdough for the first time today, few things to tweak next time to help with the rise.. but fairly happy with the result!

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I made a tweaked version of Jamie Oliver's Beef Rendang from 5 Ingredients. Also almost set the kitchen on fire because I'm not used to my new wok yet and it gets very VERY hot.

• Advertisement

Spicy sausage & bean cassoulet.

IMG_3769.jpg

Advertisement