Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

Dinner this evening was barbequed pork loin (for the day that was in it), salsa verde, goats cheese beetroot and pine nut salad, and homemade brown bread.

IMG_20180225_WA0002_crop_561x758.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Made Teriyaki chicken, rice and stir fried green veg. Even got a very good portion of lunch for the man.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had home made pizzas tonight :)

IMG_3811.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Marinated turkey mince with ginger, garlic & other Asian flavours. Roasted half in the oven and stir-fried the other half then mixed them back together.

Served with lettuce cups, mint yogurt sauce and Sriracha satay sauce. And a bowl of miso-glazed sprouts on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Comfort food for the cold weather, Bangers and mash with onion gravy and creamy leeks.

442862.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Wow, that looks really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Burritos filled with Thug Kitchen's Bean and Quinoa Nacho Filler
    The picture was taken before I rolled it up :

o8oCyqb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

Dónal wrote: »
    Dinner this evening was barbequed pork loin (for the day that was in it), salsa verde, goats cheese beetroot and pine nut salad, and homemade brown bread.

Your brown bread looks amazing!

DunnoKidz wrote: »
    Your brown bread looks amazing!

Thanks - I posted it before but I use the ballymaloe recipe with aldi stoneground wholemeal flour and their packets of dry yeast:

https://www.davidlebovitz.com/ballymaloe-irish-brown-bread-recipe/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I've inherited a George Foreman Lean, Mean Grilling Machine and have done Korean bar b q style fried thinly sliced beef and veg. With sticky rice. Used Dunnes' soy and ginger sauce.

Other recent nice dinner was roast spuds with pulled pork from Dunnes again. Some roast veg too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Dinner tonight was a bit of an uphill battle but thanks to the support and encouragement from my family, one I overcame.

Decided to head out this evening on a bit of a whim to a place I hadn't been to in years. Anyway after trawling through the menu, I decided upon the "Killer Kombo" which had wings /chilli/ burger and nachos (pretty much all my favourites on one plate)

So, I asked the waitress to fetch me this dish, as it really appealed to me.

I had visions of a couple of wings, a taster of chilli and a few nachos nestled beside a burger on a plate.

Imagine my surprise when this arrived out....

Busted sofa. But dam it was good

What's in the black bowl in the rear?

tampopo wrote: »
    What's in the black bowl in the rear?

Looks like the chilli.

Red Thai Butternut squash and Pineapple Curry with basmati this evening.

443170.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Fried chicken breast with piri piri seasoning and roasted veg. I heated half a pouch of Aldi wholegrain rice with quinoa but didn't eat it, I didn't like it at all.

IMG_3818.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Ryath's dinner put the idea of curry into my head so used leftover roast chicken, peppers, tomatoes and onions and Aldi's Tikka Masala sauce to make a curry! Just what was needed on this cold night. Fancied up my basmati with some peas and tumeric :)

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

We made a butternut squash and brown butter pasta with sage.. well, we used gnocci and didn't quite get the sauce consistency right but it was still nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Weirdly I had pancakes as afters last night! Third time since Pancake Tuesday. I think/hope it's a passing fad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭trashcan

Just made a Mexican style soup as comfort food as I'd a bonus day off. Tomato, kidney beans, chorizo and sweet corn, with Mexican seasoning and smoked paprika. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Mac & cheese. I had proper stuff and for himself I knocked up a version with cashew milk and nute. It was gluey and smelled like feet. I’m glad I had some actual cheese in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Had an amazing stew that had been in the slow cooker since 10 this morning. Plenty left so dinner for tomorrow is sorted!

Peppers stuffed with roast veg couscous and fetta and Mushrooms with leek and cheddar. Needed a bit of salad for better presentation! Mushrooms were very good.

443534.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Flank steak, carrots, broccoli, mash and home made pepper sauce. Real tasty.

I got so comfy reading my book in the snowy glow, I had nothing prepared for dinner so I threw some Big Al's chicken goujons in the oven and Aldi crinkle cut chips in the Airfryer. Not a vegetable in sight, unless you count the tomatoes in the ketchup and the chillis in the sweet chilli sauce :D

Just after a scoop of leftover Sloppy Joe mince (made yesterday) warmed on a bun with a tall espresso-latte (need me some energy).

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Day got away from me today so lunch turned into my dinner...made a winter veg "salad" with roasted red onion, butternut squash, rocket, sprouts and skinny sausages! Turned out yum but I kinda wanted something more comforting and spicy for the weather that was in it....feel like we're back into stew / soup territory guys...

I made a bean stew last night (Gulash to the rest of the world, but if I mention that name in from of the husband, he won't touch it because it sounds disgusting) - carrots, turnips, red pepper and chopped and stewed with a tin of mixed beans in stock, 3 heaped tsp of paprika, and 1 of smoked paprika, some bay leaves and carraway seeds.
    Warm, comforting, cozy food.

Shenshen wrote: »
    I made a bean stew last night (Gulash to the rest of the world, but if I mention that name in from of the husband, he won't touch it because it sounds disgusting) - carrots, turnips, red pepper and chopped and stewed with a tin of mixed beans in stock, 3 heaped tsp of paprika, and 1 of smoked paprika, some bay leaves and carraway seeds.
    Warm, comforting, cozy food.

Your bean stew sounds lovely and cozy in the cold! I might could make a white bean & chicken chili later today.

I thought Goulash had pasta in it? I may be mistaken though - but I agree with your husband, yuck to the word (and to the terrible messes I've been fed, in the name of g-ewh-losh!) :eek: :D

DunnoKidz wrote: »
    Your bean stew sounds lovely and cozy in the cold! I might could make a white bean & chicken chili later today.

I thought Goulash had pasta in it? I may be mistaken though - but I agree with your husband, yuck to the word (and to the terrible messes I've been fed, in the name of g-ewh-losh!) :eek: :D

Pasta? Well, I suppose if you wanted, but my grandmother would wring her hands at the thought of such blasphemy!
    The most original version would be a beef and pepper/paprika stew (equal weight of onions on beef being one of the cornerstones!), to which you could add diced potatoes if you likes.
    You could add sauerkraut and make it a so-called Szegediner Goulash, but I never liked that much.
    Traditionally, you'd have it with either sourdough bread, or (in Austria, Germany and the Czech Republic) various types of dumplings.

It's one of those recipes like Bolognese sauce, everyone has their own idea of what should and shouldn't go in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Shenshen wrote: »
    Traditionally, you'd have it with either sourdough bread, or (in Austria, Germany and the Czech Republic) various types of dumplings.

In Austria and Hungary you'd have it with Spaetzle, which is some kind of "pasta", a breadroll or these breadroll dumplings, rarely with sourdough though.
    You can also make a self-sufficient stew by throwing spuds in and Frankfurter sausage or some sausages that are found in Polish shops.

LirW wrote: »
    In Austria and Hungary you'd have it with Spaetzle, which is some kind of "pasta", a breadroll or these breadroll dumplings, rarely with sourdough though.
    You can also make a self-sufficient stew by throwing spuds in and Frankfurter sausage or some sausages that are found in Polish shops.

Spaetzle are Schwaebisch, so they would really only be common in Baden-Wuerttemberg and parts of Bavaria, and wouldn't be common at all in Austria or further east.
    My grandmother would always have sourdough bread rolls covered in carraway seed accompaning her goulash.

But as I said, there are as many recipes for Gulash as there are families cooking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I made my husband and little fella beef stew in the slow cooker. In an effort to make it go further I did it all beef, carrot, celery and onion and put mash on the side. So a full slow cooker of meat and veg, it has all been eaten with a mountain of mash. The little fella was milling carrots and all. It seems snowman building is very hungry work.

I had mash with a vegetable lasagna I had in the freezer. Usually wouldn't pair the two but I was too lazy to make a different side.

Now we're flaked in front of the fire eating still warm lemon drizzle cake.

Advertisement