Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Shenshen wrote: »
    Spaetzle are Schwaebisch, so they would really only be common in Baden-Wuerttemberg and parts of Bavaria, and wouldn't be common at all in Austria or further east.

They are super common there, we'd always have it to a lot of stew dishes and you'd find them a lot in Hungary too. Having a Spaetzlepresse at home is a pretty standard thing, even in the very south east where I'm from.

If anyone's looking for a really nice recipe for a self-sufficient stew without a side I can highly recommend putting potato pieces in and maybe some chopped sausages, it's a lovely winter dish! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

LirW wrote: »
    They are super common there, we'd always have it to a lot of stew dishes and you'd find them a lot in Hungary too. Having a Spaetzlepresse at home is a pretty standard thing, even in the very south east where I'm from.

If anyone's looking for a really nice recipe for a self-sufficient stew without a side I can highly recommend putting potato pieces in and maybe some chopped sausages, it's a lovely winter dish! :D

Oh my, I haven't had Spaetzle in soooo long, drooling! I never made my own, is it difficult?

DunnoKidz wrote: »
    Oh my, I haven't had Spaetzle in soooo long, drooling! I never made my own, is it difficult?

Nope, super easy thing to do.
    http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/19725/simple-spaetzle.aspx
    That's a simple enough recipe and instead of a Presse you can use a colander or grater. Soooo worth it!

LirW wrote: »
    Nope, super easy thing to do.
    http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/19725/simple-spaetzle.aspx
    That's a simple enough recipe and instead of a Presse you can use a colander or grater. Soooo worth it!

Thank LirW! They don't carry it in shops here (that I found). I got addicted to a simple (yet tasty) dish in California... was something like fried spaetzle, green beans and onions in a parsley, butter sauce. So good!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I tried spaetzle for the first time recently when I visited Tubingen and I really disliked it. It came with a thick, cold, vinegary potato salad as well. All in all it was one of the worst meals I've had. :pac:

• Advertisement

Oh and tonight I ordered a Chinese, but could only eat about 10% of it, thanks to being preggo! Amazing that they delivered though. :)

Oh and tonight I ordered a Chinese, but could only eat about 10% of it, thanks to being preggo! Amazing that they delivered though. :)

I'm mortified the chipper in the next village is closed, they'd have a sh1tload of business tonight I'd say :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭trashcan

I tried spaetzle for the first time recently when I visited Tubingen and I really disliked it. It came with a thick, cold, vinegary potato salad as well. All in all it was one of the worst meals I've had. :pac:

The Austrians like their salads very vinegary in my experience. A bit too much so for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

a big veggie korma for us tonight. Absolutely scrumptious.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Roast corn-fed chicken with mash, veggies and gravy...comfort food ftw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Slow-cooked lentil "Bolognese" sauce with tagliatelle. I always have this idea in my head what I want the sauce to taste like, but I rarely manage to get it just so. Yesterday I did :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Shenshen wrote: »
    Slow-cooked lentil "Bolognese" sauce with tagliatelle. I always have this idea in my head what I want the sauce to taste like, but I rarely manage to get it just so. Yesterday I did :D

Similar here, it's never quite right. Tasty, but not perfect. Did you do anything in particular yesterday that helped? Actually I think I'll throw a pot into the slow cooker before bed.

French onion soup with melty cheese... and chunks of leftover dry crunchy, dunkable baguette

Whispered wrote: »
    Similar here, it's never quite right. Tasty, but not perfect. Did you do anything in particular yesterday that helped? Actually I think I'll throw a pot into the slow cooker before bed.

Honestly can't say - I didn't do anything that different from normal. But somehow, I managed to get it tasting a bit sweeter and deeper than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Making good use of the freezer this week. Ragu and Linguine for dinner.

444681.jpeg

Roast chicken and spuds with carrots, broccoli and gravy.

Macaroni cheese with added cauliflower.

Ribeye, Fondant Potatoes and veg. Steak was lovely but I think I did it a tad too rare for my liking.

444990.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Great pic Bazmo!

Eating alone this evening so a cheeky Aldi Southern Fried Chicken, mash and corn on the cob dinner.

63_FB7_A8_D-275_F-46_EC-899_C-26_E84_B7_B3_E61.jpg

Thanks. Just a phone pic.

I had ultimate comfort food tonight. Sausages beans and mash.

I’m still amazed that supermarket shelves are sold out of lots of stuff. None sausages left in the first one I went to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Had a problem finding eggs for a few days.....

My local shop was selling eggs singly. Bizarre.

Dinner tonight was pub grub - turkey and ham, stuffing, mash, veg and gravy.

It was good but a little salty and no roast potatoes as advertised!

How much were they charging per egg?!

Last night I had veg sossies, beans and potatoes. The mash was watery and very disappointing.

Cod, roasted potato cubes, mixed veg. That's three days, and potatoes three different ways. Gotta love spuds! Had some carrots that had seen better days so I chopped them and steamed them with some frozen peas and sweetcorn. Delicious.

445100.jpg

Chicken lattice, mixed veg, oven chips. Apple tart and ice cream.

The weekly curry :
    Tomato and butternut squash creamy masala with vegetable kofta, vegetable pakoras and fresh chapatis
    And coconut and jam cookies for desert.

Quorn sausages sliced and fried with onion and red pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, chilli flakes and coriander then added chickpeas and tinned tomatoes. Reminded my husband of chorizo so I was happy with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Chicken and sweet potato curry with brown rice.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

An early mothers day spread, I work till 3/4 every Sunday. Patatas bravas, homemade coleslaw and a lasagna ring. Will cut more off the sheets when I make this again, as there was alot of waste. Was meant to add wilted spinach to the dish, but I forgot.

445225.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Yesterday I had BBQ sausages with mushrooms, onions, green beans and carrots in the side.

Today I made low carb fajitas. I used gem lettuce as the wraps. I used: garlic powder, chilli flakes, cumin, turmeric, smoked paprika, chilli powder and black pepper as the spice mix.

I also made the salsa from scratch too: fresh tomato died, onion, garlic, pinch of cumin, salt and pepper.

The meat I used was turkey mince and it was a mix of onions and peppers. Topped with sour cream and cheese.

One of my better meals lately.

Advertisement