Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

A tree-hugging Mexican Bean Burger with Lime Yogurt and Salsa and Sweet Potato Fries

7_F8859_F5-367_A-4_AA7-_B534-45786_F01_B93_E.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Aldis tika Masala curry with a mixture of chicken filleted thighs and breast, done with onions and red and green peppers, done in the slow cooker all day.

Served up with some Caribbean rice and peas that Aldi are also selling at the minute.

Couple of things I noticed, Aldis Tikka Masala sauce is prob miles ahead of its much more expensive competitor's. Chicken thighs taste 100 x nicer than the breast in a curry, and I have spent far too long of my life not eating Caribbean style rice and peas.

Despite its name, it's actually rice cooked with coconut with kidney beans and a hint of chilli.

I need to stock up on this now that it's currently on one of Aldis specials it is absolutely smashing stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Jamie Oliver bacon and pea pasta. Halved the quantities and had loads for two adults.

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pasta-recipes/mini-shell-pasta-with-a-creamy-smoked-bacon-and-pea-sauce/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Savoury Not Mince and veg with avocado and tomato and coriander flatbreads.

Was going to do ‘mexican’, not was out of spice mix so then threw in cumin, coriander, paprika, and garlic powder.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Had Nigella's quick mac and cheese, with a sauce made from cheese, evaporated milk, eggs, nutmeg and seasoning. Pour over cooked pasta, bake briefly and eat.

Well I followed the instructions to the letter and it was scrambled eggs with pasta. Very disappointing and a complete waste of 250g of good cheese!

• Advertisement

Best quick mac n cheese I’ve had involved boiling the pasta in milk, then just stirring in the cheese. It was pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

We had baked falafel, fresh tsatsiki, sundried tomato hummus and a couscous tabouleh with tomatoes, peppers and kalmata olives. All filled into pita pouches.

Messy food is happy food :D

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

We had some kind of pork mince patties, chipotle mayo and sweet potato fries done in the Airfryer (which were delish, I regret buying it and not using it for so long until now!)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Any recipe for this? I'd hate to miss out on a good slow cooker recipe :pac:

I'll open Pinterest on the laptop, and post up a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had Nigella's quick mac and cheese, with a sauce made from cheese, evaporated milk, eggs, nutmeg and seasoning. Pour over cooked pasta, bake briefly and eat.

Well I followed the instructions to the letter and it was scrambled eggs with pasta. Very disappointing and a complete waste of 250g of good cheese!

In my experience, any cheat/quick recipe for anything that involves bechamel/white sauce doesn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Had pan fried lemon sole fillets, mashed potatoes, green beans, carrots, peas and broccoli

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

In my experience, any cheat/quick recipe for anything that involves bechamel/white sauce doesn't work.

Uh oh, making lasagna and have no butter and not enough milk so I was planning on using a combination of cottage cheese and quark.
    Coincidence that just before I do so I read this. :o

Whispered wrote: »
    Uh oh, making lasagna and have no butter and not enough milk so I was planning on using a combination of cottage cheese and quark.
    Coincidence that just before I do so I read this. :o

I’ve used cottage cheese in lasagne and it was AWESOME.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

kylith wrote: »
    I’ve used cottage cheese in lasagne and it was AWESOME.

It smells good!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Shenshen wrote: »
    We had baked falafel, fresh tsatsiki, sundried tomato hummus and a couscous tabouleh with tomatoes, peppers and kalmata olives. All filled into pita pouches.

Messy food is happy food :D

I've made falafel a few times recently and I've been disappointed. Everything you post looks delicious so your falafel must be also! Can I have your recipe please?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've made falafel a few times recently and I've been disappointed. Everything you post looks delicious so your falafel must be also! Can I have your recipe please?

The trick with falafel is to use dried chickpeas, soaked but not cooked.
    Tinned or dried ones soaked and cooked make for mushy falafel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Roast chicken breasts with spicy rice.

IMG_4190.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I’m really fussy with chilli and often had it fairly bland, but found a recipe on page 126 of this thread that required a slow and low cooking process, the flavours turned out amazing after blending together on a low heat for as long as I could wait ( about two hours) added extra crushed chilies and it had a nice kick.

Served with boiled rice, grated cheese on top with natural yoghurt and mashed avocado with plenty of lemon and salt. Demolished!

Slimming world friendly as natural yoghurt used and frylight no oil etc

qZMu4O.jpg

Himself made dinner: tagliatelle with a soy-creamy garlic mushroom sauce. He learns well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Lasagne here too. Tried to make it slightly healthier by using v. lean mince, lots of veg, and a white sauce made from ricotta, nutmeg, lots of seasoning and grated mozzarella mixed through and then thinned down with some milk. I used a carton of chopped tomatoes with basil infused and it was gorgeous! Now, it’s no amazingly luscious lasagne or anything but it’s definitely a happy medium between that and my last healthy attempt which involved courgette instead of pasta and a white sauce made from Greek yogurt and an egg.... /shudder

• Advertisement

As always, I don't really have one, I usually make them "by feel"
    This time, I made baked ones, and they were actually better than the fried ones I usually do.

I used :

1 can of chickpeas
    1/2 chopped onion
    1 tsp garlic puree (yes, I'm lazy)
    4 - 5 tbsp of chickpea flour
    1 tsp of baking soda
    some lemon juice
    1 - 2 tsp of olive oil
    Salt
    handful of chopped parsley

Pre-heated the oven on the highest setting. Then I threw all of the above on the food processor, blitzed it until it was the right consistency, formed little balls and placed them on a lined baking tray. Turned the heat of the oven down to 200 degrees, and baked the falafel for maybe 10 - 15 minutes

Yesterday, we had bean casserole with quorn sausages and fresh bread rolls

bcNCQTi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The trick with falafel is to use dried chickpeas, soaked but not cooked.
    Tinned or dried ones soaked and cooked make for mushy falafel.

I also find that chilling them in the fridge beforehand really helps, and you have to be really careful not to overcrowd the pan. You need to be frying them at 180C (and possibly hotter) but as soon as you put them into the oil they temp will reduce, so you need to have the oil a lot hotter so it settles to the right temp of 180C.

I've literally had everything disintegrate into a layer of burnt chickpea dust at the bottom of the pan but I got the temp wrong.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Any recipe for this? I'd hate to miss out on a good slow cooker recipe :pac:

http://pinterest.com/pin/AcbQ75H-sCfCaaccKsCyVxEvZFsCeY29bFaSh8oL3U4d6LCIObq5UNI/?source_app=android

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Roasted roots & halloumi traybake with courgette tangles

9_BEA8_C8_A-_DF75-48_D1-971_F-_C4_FB92081143.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Thank you for the recipie and the hints on falafel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Homemade pizza here tonight, made using Odlums Strong flour and parbaking the bases in a hot oven for 5 mins, really made them crispier rather than that horrible doughy/cake like feeling you get with a homemade pizza if the base isn't cooked properly.

No pictures unfortunately.. topped up with passata, fresh basil, mushrooms, sweetcorn, bacon, chillies, spinach,

Served with homemade garlic dip using mayonnaise, natural yoghurt, 3 garlic cloves, lemon, and a bit of water thrown into the blender. Happy days :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Pork in chipotle and black bean sauce, with mushrooms and chillies, on wholemeal couscous with preserved lemons, covered in rocket.
    Tasty.

IMAG0012_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

I made a roasted beef with tomatoes,onions and peppers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭ellejay

Shenshen wrote: »
    As always, I don't really have one, I usually make them "by feel"
    This time, I made baked ones, and they were actually better than the fried ones I usually do.

I used :

1 can of chickpeas
    1/2 chopped onion
    1 tsp garlic puree (yes, I'm lazy)
    4 - 5 tbsp of chickpea flour
    1 tsp of baking soda
    some lemon juice
    1 - 2 tsp of olive oil
    Salt
    handful of chopped parsley

Pre-heated the oven on the highest setting. Then I threw all of the above on the food processor, blitzed it until it was the right consistency, formed little balls and placed them on a lined baking tray. Turned the heat of the oven down to 200 degrees, and baked the falafel for maybe 10 - 15 minutes

This recipe looks great.

My local has a Falafel burger on the menu and I've been meaning to try it.
    I've all the ingredients but no chickpea flour, have you a substitute or should I just wait and get the flour please.

Would garlic mayonnaise be nice as a side?
    - I haven't tried Falafel before.

Advertisement