Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ellejay wrote: »
    This recipe looks great.

My local has a Falafel burger on the menu and I've been meaning to try it.
    I've all the ingredients but no chickpea flour, have you a substitute or should I just wait and get the flour please.

Would garlic mayonnaise be nice as a side?
    - I haven't tried Falafel before.

I use regular flour and it works fine.
    Chickpea flour is called Gram Flour and you can get it in any Asia shop and possibly some supermarkets too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I use regular flour and it works fine.
    Chickpea flour is called Gram Flour and you can get it in any Asia shop and possibly some supermarkets too.

^^ This :D

Garlic mayo would work, I think, though I would add a bit of lemon juice to cut through the creaminess. The tsasiki is basically garlic yoghurt with grated cucumber, so not too dissimilar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had home made pizzas tonight. Up to now I've never been happy with my tomato sauce but I've finally found the perfect one - the Thug Kitchen marinara sauce. It's great on pizza :)

IMG_4230.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Cheese and tomato with mayo on Brennan’s. Just what I had a hankering for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Friday night's have now become burger night in our house.

Tonight I had Aldis ultimate 8oz burger with chunky fries.

These burgers are the job, a massive chunk of meat that literally oozed out juciness when I bit into it.

Served with some jalapeno relish on the bottom bun, then burger, sliced of thinly sliced cheddar on top of that, then some pickle, French mustard and ketchup.

Finished with a leaf or two of iceberg lettuce.

I am officially recommending Aldis ultimate burgers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

BBQ in the chilly evening sun. Chinese style spare ribs, chicken wings and boerewors. Waldorf and green salads with a delicious vinaigrette. Others had wine and cake but I sadly abstained.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

We had home made pizzas tonight. Up to now I've never been happy with my tomato sauce but I've finally found the perfect one - the Thug Kitchen marinara sauce. It's great on pizza :)

Your base looks amazing, can you share a recipe?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

ahayes84 wrote: »
    Your base looks amazing, can you share a recipe?

No problem - it's Jamie Oliver's recipe and it puffs up nicely. You'll get four nice sized pizzas or three huge ones from half the amount stated. I got Tipo flour in Aldi this week, but I usually just use strong white - and I pre baked my base for 5 minutes before adding the sauce and toppings.

• 1kg strong white bread flour or Tipo ‘00’ flour
    or 800g strong white bread flour or Tipo ‘00’ flour, plus 200g finely ground semolina flour
    • 1 level tablespoon fine sea salt
    • 2 x 7g sachets of dried yeast
    • 1 tablespoon caster sugar
    • 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    • 650ml lukewarm water

*I just throw the ingredients into the stand mixer with the dough hook.

Aldi Black Angus rib eye steak with caramelised onions. Those steaks are unbeatable, it was perfect.

IMG_4241.jpg

Lazy(ish) dinner this evening, just whacked the oven on, and cooked food I only needed to turn half way done.

Baked spuds with butter and coleslaw, corn, and chilli bratwursts that were also done in the oven.

20180429_184007.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Aldi Black Angus rib eye steak with caramelised onions. Those steaks are unbeatable, it was perfect.

IMG_4241.jpg]

Yeah I find the steak in Aldi nicer than most steaks you’d get in a restaurant tbh.

BBQ again, just me and the husband this time, on our own brand spanking new kettle barbecue which we bought today. Marinated spicy chicken, sausages and a burger each with brioche buns and fried onions. A couple of grilled peppers and a salad of cucumber, lettuce, avocado and tomato with a lime vinaigrette. Absolute feast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Speaking of steak, had a lovely fillet yesterday.
    Cooked on one of the many pans i salvaged from my aunts when she decided she was getting rid of all the old pans! :eek:

Q4iG3Spl.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

She was just going to throw that out?! :eek:

kylith wrote: »
    She was just going to throw that out?! :eek:

That one & three others! And a couple of casserole dishes and soup bowls with dinky little lids on. All Le Creuset stuff. Madness I tell you esp as only one was used at all (dishwashered too but it's fixed now, not as pretty looking as it should be though)!!
    I also rescued a brand new gas BBQ in the box. I told her they were worth money but she wasn't bothered with the hassle of selling them. So yoink :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

If I'd have the money for stocking my kitchen with Le Creuset only I'd most likely be well enough off to do my weekly shopping in M&S :pac:

There was a pork roast with carrots and rice yesterday, the kids had leftover chickpea pasta.

LirW wrote: »
    If I'd have the money for stocking my kitchen with Le Creuset only I'd most likely be well enough off to do my weekly shopping in M&S :pac:

There was a pork roast with carrots and rice yesterday, the kids had leftover chickpea pasta.

Oh she rarely cooks and she just got a whole new kitchen installed, hence the dusty old show off-pans got the coot. Had to ask me how to work the oven and how to roast a chicken :(

I'm going through an aubergine phase at the moment so last night I had roasted aubergine, courgette, red onion, red/yellow peppers & mushrooms in a sort of chilli sauce. Topped with cashew nuts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,338 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

cooked a leg of lamb last night, I came across a small youtuber that covered the leg in bacon as you might do to a turkey, gave it a try (took them off for the last hour) , did a good job of not letting the leg dry out, no taste of bacon off the meat.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Oh she rarely cooks and she just got a whole new kitchen installed, hence the dusty old show off-pans got the coot. Had to ask me how to work the oven and how to roast a chicken :(

I'm going through an aubergine phase at the moment so last night I had roasted aubergine, courgette, red onion, red/yellow peppers & mushrooms in a sort of chilli sauce. Topped with cashew nuts :)

My absolute favourite aubergine recipes of all times would be Imam Bayildi
    If you're going through an aubergine phase, give it a try! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Spinach and ricotta stuffed giant pasta shells baked in a garlicy pasata based sauce. Followed the recipe below. The first time making it a few weeks ago was a absolute disaster which resulted in the smoke alarm going off and a bucket of cold mop water destroying the place but this was all-round much more successful! Makes a great second day lunch too, reheats really well! :)

http://www.slimmingeats.com/blog/ricotta-and-spinach-stuffed-pasta-shells

• Advertisement

I’m really fussy with chilli and often had it fairly bland, but found a recipe on page 126 of this thread that required a slow and low cooking process, the flavours turned out amazing after blending together on a low heat for as long as I could wait ( about two hours) added extra crushed chilies and it had a nice kick.

Served with boiled rice, grated cheese on top with natural yoghurt and mashed avocado with plenty of lemon and salt. Demolished!

Slimming world friendly as natural yoghurt used and frylight no oil etc

I had that chilli tonight again, slow cooked all day, with a few baked potatoes.

20180430_182830.jpg

Just after i took this pic I mixed in a heap of corn too. The wife reckons im going to turn in to a baked spud with sweetcorn.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I had that chilli tonight again, slow cooked all day, with a few baked potatoes.

<snip pic>

Just after i took this pic I mixed in a heap of corn too. The wife reckons im going to turn in to a baked spud with sweetcorn.. :pac:

Looks unreal, Great recipe, been drooling of the chilli since I had it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Spinach and ricotta stuffed giant pasta shells baked in a garlicy pasata based sauce. Followed the recipe below. The first time making it a few weeks ago was a absolute disaster which resulted in the smoke alarm going off and a bucket of cold mop water destroying the place but this was all-round much more successful! Makes a great second day lunch too, reheats really well! :)

http://www.slimmingeats.com/blog/ricotta-and-spinach-stuffed-pasta-shells

Wow - that looks amazing! Where did you get the giant pasta shells?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

cee_jay wrote: »
    Wow - that looks amazing! Where did you get the giant pasta shells?

They’re just Tesco finest dried shells. They don’t look big enough in the packet but they expand to a stuffable size once cooked!

https://goo.gl/images/DqW1Ao

Slow cooked beef stew with just a little red wine (and not nearly a whole bottle as I'd like...) and baby potatoes. Delicious for this chilly evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Chicken, Leek & Mushroom Pie from my lecturer Edward Haydens recipe :D

I made the puff pastry from scratch with an amazing recipe from Gemma Stafford, puff pastry as ye know is a seriously time consuming thing to do, with all the folding, not letting butter leak out etc. Gemma has a great recipe where you use frozen butter, grate it straight in and just rest it for an hour! so handy..
    Just used plain flour, water, lemon and butter for the puff pastry.

The chicken leek and mushroom pie was made by frying off the chicken, leek and mushrooms with some seasoning, then making a roux, adding 1/2 glass white wine and 250 ml milk,boil, then assemble the pie.
    thoroughly enjoyed!

Matter paneer and onion pakoras (they're the slightly too dark things at the top of the picture - tasted nicer than they looked! :D )

kNqan32.jpg

Shenshen wrote: »
    Matter paneer and onion pakoras (they're the slightly too dark things at the top of the picture - tasted nicer than they looked! :D )

Nicely caramelised :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Hazelnut and Oregano Pasta

2_B79_E26_F-81_A6-4491-_A139-_DCF96_C9_F30_D1.jpg

• Advertisement

Waffles, beans and fried eggs. And a cup of tea. It was meh.

Advertisement