Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Supervalu spinach & ricotta tortelloni with leftover sauce from the pizzas at the weekend. I had a Strong Roots kale & quinoa burger on the side to try and it was very nice :)

IMG_4273.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Shenshen wrote: »
    Matter paneer and onion pakoras (they're the slightly too dark things at the top of the picture - tasted nicer than they looked! :D )

Do you have a recipe please?

Chicken, Leek & Mushroom Pie from my lecturer Edward Haydens recipe :D

I made the puff pastry from scratch with an amazing recipe from Gemma Stafford, puff pastry as ye know is a seriously time consuming thing to do, with all the folding, not letting butter leak out etc. Gemma has a great recipe where you use frozen butter, grate it straight in and just rest it for an hour! so handy..
    Just used plain flour, water, lemon and butter for the puff pastry.

The chicken leek and mushroom pie was made by frying off the chicken, leek and mushrooms with some seasoning, then making a roux, adding 1/2 glass white wine and 250 ml milk,boil, then assemble the pie.
    thoroughly enjoyed!

Did you attend Edward Hayden's class? I was thinking if attending some of the evening classes in the summer €50 for class and supper. Would you reccommend ?

Fried steak, buttered asparagus , oven chips , pepper sauce from packet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Do you have a recipe please?

For the matter paneer or for the pakoras? :)

• Advertisement

For the matter paneer or for the pakoras? :)

Sorry, for the matter paneer. My favourite take away Indian dish is saag paneer and I made it once years ago, it was nice but nowhere near as good as take away version. Haven't tried matter paneer but think I would like it too. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Did you attend Edward Hayden's class? I was thinking if attending some of the evening classes in the summer €50 for class and supper. Would you reccommend ?

I'm actually studying Culinary Arts and luckily for me he's my lecturer in Waterford Institute of Technology for a 4/5 hour class every week, would highly recommend. I always end up using his recipes for anything from pizza dough, scones to pies, he has some great recipes! you should definitely go for it! He has great ideas and has a great laugh at the same time. He's almost more of an entertainer!

todays dinner was dining out, we went to The Olive Tree in Waterford, a great early bird deal of all the popular dishes, so tapas, 6 dishes for €34.. we went for.... the prawns in chilli and garlic oil, monkfish tempura with a salad, honey and soy glazed chicken wings, lentils with chorizo and spinach in natural yoghurt and sumac, potatoes with aioli sauce, and taco bravas ( basically potatoes with mince, taco sauce and cheese) always reaaaally enjoy the olive tree when i visit!

Sorry, for the matter paneer. My favourite take away Indian dish is saag paneer and I made it once years ago, it was nice but nowhere near as good as take away version. Haven't tried matter paneer but think I would like it too. Thanks.

I'm always cautious around dishes with spinach myself, I find them quite tricky to get right. Usually, the spinach ends up overpowering everything.

Anyway, the matter paneer:

Ingredients :

pinch (1/2 tsp) of fennel seeds
    1 tsp of cumin seeds
    2 bay leaves
    small stick of cinnamon
    1 onion, finely chopped
    2 cloves of garlic grated
    1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, grated (or, if you're lazy like me, you get ginger and garlic paste from an Asian shop and use 2 tsps of that :D)
    1 tsp of turmeric
    2 tsps of coriander powder
    1 tsp of paprika or chili (if you like it hot, go for the chili)

200g of paneer, cubed
    150 ml of vegetable stock
    3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped (or half a tin)
    200ml of fresh cream
    1 cup of frozen peas
    ground almonds

First, add the cubed paneer to a wide, hot pan with a little bit of oil and fry until it's browned a little on all sides.
    Take the paneer out and put it on a plate with some kitchen towel to absorb the oil and set aside.

In the same pan, add some more oil (you can use ghee if you have it, but oil works just fine) and add the fennel seeds, cumin seeds, cinnamon stick and bay leaves. Fry until the cumin seeds start to pop, then add the onion and garlic and ginger and reduce the heat. Keep frying until the onion is soft. Add the turmeric, coriander and paprika/chili and stir through. After 2 minutes or so (spices should be heated trough and toasted, but not burned!), add the tomatoes.

Keep cooking the mixture, stirring frequently, until it forms a paste. Then add the vegetable stock, cream, paneer and peas.
    Keep it bubbling for another few minutes and season to taste. If it's too runny, add some ground almonds to thicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

We had a smoked Coley fish pie, with brocolli and sweetcorn mixed in, it was delish. Have four lunchboxes leftover too :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Pan fried pork chops in a mushroom sauce, sugar snap peas, baby potatoes and home made apple sauce.

• Advertisement

I'm always cautious around dishes with spinach myself, I find them quite tricky to get right. Usually, the spinach ends up overpowering everything.

Anyway, the matter paneer:

Ingredients :

pinch (1/2 tsp) of fennel seeds
    1 tsp of cumin seeds
    2 bay leaves
    small stick of cinnamon
    1 onion, finely chopped
    2 cloves of garlic grated
    1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, grated (or, if you're lazy like me, you get ginger and garlic paste from an Asian shop and use 2 tsps of that :D)
    1 tsp of turmeric
    2 tsps of coriander powder
    1 tsp of paprika or chili (if you like it hot, go for the chili)

200g of paneer, cubed
    150 ml of vegetable stock
    3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped (or half a tin)
    200ml of fresh cream
    1 cup of frozen peas
    ground almonds

First, add the cubed paneer to a wide, hot pan with a little bit of oil and fry until it's browned a little on all sides.
    Take the paneer out and put it on a plate with some kitchen towel to absorb the oil and set aside.

In the same pan, add some more oil (you can use ghee if you have it, but oil works just fine) and add the fennel seeds, cumin seeds, cinnamon stick and bay leaves. Fry until the cumin seeds start to pop, then add the onion and garlic and ginger and reduce the heat. Keep frying until the onion is soft. Add the turmeric, coriander and paprika/chili and stir through. After 2 minutes or so (spices should be heated trough and toasted, but not burned!), add the tomatoes.

Keep cooking the mixture, stirring frequently, until it forms a paste. Then add the vegetable stock, cream, paneer and peas.
    Keep it bubbling for another few minutes and season to taste. If it's too runny, add some ground almonds to thicken.
    Thanks so much for this will hopefully make this at weekend if I can get some paneer tomorrow.

I'm actually studying Culinary Arts and luckily for me he's my lecturer in Waterford Institute of Technology for a 4/5 hour class every week, would highly recommend. I always end up using his recipes for anything from pizza dough, scones to pies, he has some great recipes! you should definitely go for it! He has great ideas and has a great laugh at the same time. He's almost more of an entertainer!

todays dinner was dining out, we went to The Olive Tree in Waterford, a great early bird deal of all the popular dishes, so tapas, 6 dishes for €34.. we went for.... the prawns in chilli and garlic oil, monkfish tempura with a salad, honey and soy glazed chicken wings, lentils with chorizo and spinach in natural yoghurt and sumac, potatoes with aioli sauce, and taco bravas ( basically potatoes with mince, taco sauce and cheese) always reaaaally enjoy the olive tree when i visit!

Didn't know he lectured there. Great to know he is good , will definitely book a class so, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Waffles, beans and fried eggs. And a cup of tea. It was meh.

It always sounds great in the mind but never delivers on a plate. Made it so often and always got fed up half way through. It was my "no need for meat" weekend breakfast. Now its just waffles and bacon.:D

Didn't know he lectured there. Great to know he is good , will definitely book a class so, thanks.

Yeah he lectures there near enough to full time during the week i think,and hes our course leader, he's a very busy guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Made myself some potato salad and battered cod.
    For the kids bland meatball sauce and spaghetti and they absolutely loved it. Kids are weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Matter paneer and onion pakoras

Been awhile since I browsed this thread as I've been trying to eat healthy (boring)... this looks unreal!

Where would I buy paneer in Cork does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Stuffed butternut squash with cous cous,rocket, pine nuts, pesto, red onions, tomatoes mixed with some relsih and toped with feta cheese

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    Been awhile since I browsed this thread as I've been trying to eat healthy (boring)... this looks unreal!

The Asian shops on Bridge Street and Coburg Street have it. I usually buy it from Zaiqa Cash & Carry off the Tramore Road

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

The Asian shops on Bridge Street and Coburg Street have it. I usually buy it from Zaiqa Cash & Carry off the Tramore Road

Thanks a mill, guess I'll either be buying meat for a BBQ or visiting the Tramore Road tomorrow, depends on the weather! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Went to collect my oxtails and they hadn’t been delivered. Picked up a slab of spare ribs that was really meaty. Had it with baked potatoes and coleslaw.

756_F8_D3_F-91_E1-48_BC-_BF0_F-_DE82_A9_B9_DD9_C.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Just in case anyone wants to cook paneer but can't find anywhere to buy it - it's really easy to make your own!

http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/how-to-make-paneer/
    (Two more things: I've found that weight-lifting weights make good cheese pressers, and whatever cloth you use for straining the curds, wash it thoroughly in plain water first- you don't want lovely floral detergent smells in your cheese)

It freezes well in my experience, as long as you pack it really carefully so it can't absorb other flavours in the freezer

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

My absolute favourite aubergine recipes of all times would be Imam Bayildi
    If you're going through an aubergine phase, give it a try! :D

I gave this a go last night and it is gorgeous. Simple, clean and delicious. I went with recipe except for adding mint. When doing it again I'd leave the salting of the aubergine longer on the flesh. Had it with fried rice and moroccan spiced roast chicken.

40102076120_629b13929d_z.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Oxtail ragu with pasta. Have to change it to maybe cous cous tomorrow, for the extra storage of the juices. Man, it was heavenly.
    Here's the bones. Didn't know of any dog to take them, so just put them in the bin.

450087.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Mr Crumble got a spice bag. I took a small bit off it. Was more of a salt bag to be honest.

bigronnie9 wrote: »

Not sure as I live in Waterford , I know buying it is easier but eatlikeagirl (Niamh Shields) actually has a recipe for making your own paneer cheese. looks pretty simple too

Only seen the above post already talking about the recipe now!

Away this weekend.

Last night was chicken wings, followed by steak on a stone (over-rated) with mushrooms, onions and pepper sauce. I robbed a few chips from the other half.

Tonight was spiced butterflied king prawns, followed by lamb dopiaza. Delicious. Had a little rice and garlic naan too. :)

Home again.

Burgers, lamb chops and a really good salad of butterhead lettuce, avocado, tomato, cucumber and feta, with a lime and olive oil dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Away this weekend.

Last night was chicken wings, followed by steak on a stone (over-rated) with mushrooms, onions and pepper sauce. I robbed a few chips from the other half.

Tonight was spiced butterflied king prawns, followed by lamb dopiaza. Delicious. Had a little rice and garlic naan too. :)

I’ve never liked the idea of cooking your own steak on a hot stone. It just seems to me a cop-out for chefs who can’t cook a steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

kylith wrote: »
    I’ve never liked the idea of cooking your own steak on a hot stone. It just seems to me a cop-out for chefs who can’t cook a steak.

Also, are you going to let it rest for ten to fifteen minutes at the table?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Another BBQ this evening before the rain.:eek:

Did the pork chops and chicken skewers on the BBQ. Served them up with Potato Gratin, Coleslaw, Potato salad and an old fashioned side salad of baby gem, tomato and onion tossed in a little garlic sauce. Twas mighty.

20180507_182916.jpg

Advertisement