Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭trashcan

Cheesey baked Enchiladas with chicken, onion, peppers, jalapenos, pinto and kidney beans, served with some refried beans on the side (I won't even say what my wife said they looked like. :D)

I agree with your wife about the beans,,,. Enchiladas look lovely though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Last nights dinner was home made steak and veg pie, done in a short crust pastry with onion gravy, served with creamy mash on the side, and some sweet garden peas, with garlic butter.

It was a very hearty meal that went down well after a long walk in the cold. Didnt tame pictures as we had company, and I didn't wanna look like they were dining with a lunatic. :)

Today's dinner was my American style beef stew, finished in the slow cooker.

Loads left for tomorrow too.

Result!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Today's dinner was my American style beef stew, finished in the slow cooker.

Loads left for tomorrow too.

Result!

What makes a stew American style?
    A can of condensed soup?

What makes a stew American style?
    A can of condensed soup?

I follow an American recipe for it, calls for the skins left on the spuds, and there's tomato puree, paprika (as two ingredients not in.an Irish stew)

The end result is a reddish colour with a slight hit of spiciness to it.

It's always a big hit in our house

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Leg of lamb with a rosemary, garlic, juniper berries and lemon zest rub.

2urtu2u.jpg

30bejxw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I follow an American recipe for it, calls for the skins left on the spuds, and there's tomato puree, paprika (as two ingredients not in.an Irish stew)

The end result is a reddish colour with a slight hit of spiciness to it.

It's always a big hit in our house

Looks like my stew, lovely stuff. I generally just bang whatever in but always add a bit of spice, love it :)

^^^^^

Any time dizzy wants to invite Alf (kids and wife are optional) do dinner I'm totally good with that. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Yesterday was a slice of delicious roasted vegetable quiche purchased at the Dun Laoghaire People's Park food market and a heap of sweet potato fries...something quick and easy while we were trying to sort the house out for Christmas, it's been a bit neglected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Made chicken supreme with rice and chilli green beans

Loads left over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Yesterday I made a Vietnamese curry from the Happy Pear cookbook. The recipe used tempeh but I used chicken instead, as I'm not a maniac. The curry was absolutely lovely, gorgeous flavours and very easy to make. The roasted butternut squash was yum.

DSC_1174_zps1mvzj2f2.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Mild cheddar/mozzarella, chorizo, guacamole, cashews, shallots - homemade vegan pizza by my friend, so the dairy/meat are alternatives.

pMH5WEtl.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Chestnut, sage and mushroom Wellington served with roast rosemary potatoes, roasted carrots, brussels sprouts, seasonal greens, lentil gravy

N3RAFPXl.jpg

Chestnut, sage and mushroom Wellington served with roast rosemary potatoes, roasted carrots, brussels sprouts, seasonal greens, lentil gravy

That looks amazing! Can you share the recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

That looks fab!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Yesterday I made a Vietnamese curry from the Happy Pear cookbook. The recipe used tempeh but I used chicken instead, as I'm not a maniac. The curry was absolutely lovely, gorgeous flavours and very easy to make. The roasted butternut squash was yum.

That looks so so good! Can I be cheeky and ask would you post the recipe or a pic of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I'd love to try this.

idunno78 wrote: »
    That looks so so good! Can I be cheeky and ask would you post the recipe or a pic of it?

Here you go! My only change would be to peel the butternut squash - they suggest leaving it on but I firmly disagree.

DSC_1209_zpsz7aq88ge.jpg

CHRISTMAS HAM! My husband made this beautiful beast today. He boiled it in ginger beer with lots of oranges, cloves, bay and cinnamon, then baked it with a glaze of maple syrup, mustard, soy sauce & worcestershire sauce.

IT TASTES FRICKIN AWESOME!

DSC_1207_zpsatlhtcrg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

CHRISTMAS HAM! My husband made this beautiful beast today. He boiled it in ginger beer with lots of oranges, cloves, bay and cinnamon, then baked it with a glaze of maple syrup, mustard, soy sauce & worcestershire sauce.

IT TASTES FRICKIN AWESOME!

It looks amazing. Only that ours isn't long out of the oven I'd try it myself. We go apples with cider, onion, rosemary, cloves, cinnamon and peppercorns.

Then our glaze was Colmans and brown sugar. Still gorgeous but less exotic.

• Advertisement

The meal was ridiculously good, I'm afraid I can't post the recipe as it was from a cafe, going forward are you meant to post pictures of your dinner if you bought them or not? I'll definitely speficify next time if you can

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The meal was ridiculously good, I'm afraid I can't post the recipe as it was from a cafe, going forward are you meant to post pictures of your dinner if you bought them or not? I'll definitely speficify next time if you can

We like to ogle all dinners, regardless of where they come from :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Leftovers. :)

Ham, stuffing, and roasties mashed with carrots & parsnips cooked in the waffle maker. All with lashings of gravy. Devine.

404816.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

For tea, which seems to be the dinner of this thread :)

We had Scottish stovies. Our version had cooked onion plus leftovers: sliced mutton, sprouts, carrots, roast potatoes and gravy, layered in the pan.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Leftovers. :)

Ham, stuffing, and roasties mashed with carrots & parsnips cooked in the waffle maker. All with lashings of gravy. Devine.

That makes me want a waffle maker :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

That makes me want a waffle maker :)

It's actually a great use for it. It's just a cheap ALDI one we got for making pancakes/waffles for the kid. Works great for making hash? from leftover potatoes and veg too. So easy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Brussell Sprouts cooked with chilli, garlic and jalapenos, with baby potatoes and chorizo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Donal skehans hearty minestrone soup. Recipe makes looooads so just as well it's nice :D

Absolutely sick of turkey and ham at this point so this was a welcome change.

We're sick of turkey and ham too so we had rib eye steaks for dinner tonight with sautéed potatoes, onions and mushrooms and roasted cherry tomatoes. Steak never tasted so good :)

• Advertisement

I'm officially out of turkey.

Had a turkey omlette for breakfast.

Had a turkey and potato curry for dinner.

Advertisement