Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I zoomed in on that. Everything looks fab.

Thank you very much.

I'm happy with how it turned out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Pork steak won't give you pulled pork, it's too lean. You need a shoulder joint for pulled pork.

But there's no reason why you can't have barbecued pork steak. You can make a simple BBQ sauce with your sugar, vinegar, spices and some ketchup - Google can help!

Tried it out last night, well surprise it actually can :eek: I put the large pork steak into my slow cooker, threw in 1 onion, 2 garlic cloves, 120ml cider vinegar, 120ml stock, few spoons of ketchup, some brown sugar, loads of thyme, salt , pepper and chilli powder, let it cook on high then low for about 5/6 hours! turned out well.

I then made a sauce for it by taking out a few ladles of the cooking liquid into a pan, thickened with cornflour and vinegar/water, let it simmer,

next time i'd use a leaner meat like you said, but it still can be done easily!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tried it out last night, well surprise it actually can :eek: I put the large pork steak into my slow cooker, threw in 1 onion, 2 garlic cloves, 120ml cider vinegar, 120ml stock, few spoons of ketchup, some brown sugar, loads of thyme, salt , pepper and chilli powder, let it cook on high then low for about 5/6 hours! turned out well.

I then made a sauce for it by taking out a few ladles of the cooking liquid into a pan, thickened with cornflour and vinegar/water, let it simmer,

next time i'd use a leaner meat like you said, but it still can be done easily!

That was a very late dinner! It's a fattier cut you'll need, not a leaner one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Forgot to post about Saturday's dinner. Being Eurovision night we thought we would dine appropriately.

We drew numbers according to each countries' position in the line-up. Ended up with Moldova, Albania, Denmark & Germany. Being chef for the evening I decided upon German cuisine for dinner. (I wouldn't know where to start with the others.)

Ended up running to Lidl & treating the Billy Family to currywurst (bockwurst & the Lidl curry sauce with a few tweaks) und pommes.

The Kids were a bit suspicious of sausages with curry sauce to start with, but were true converts afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Falafels with a yogurt dip and tomato salsa, spinach leaves and pitta

92_ACD149-491_C-4_A1_E-9_BFD-5_F7227_E8386_E.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Forgot to post about Saturday's dinner. Being Eurovision night we thought we would dine appropriately.

We drew numbers according to each countries' position in the line-up. Ended up with Moldova, Albania, Denmark & Germany. Being he for the evening I decided upon German cuisine for dinner. (I wouldn't know where to start with the others.)

Ended up running to Lidl & treating the Billy Family to currywurst (bockwurst & the Lidl curry sauce with a few tweaks) und pommes.

The Kids were a bit suspicious of sausages with curry sauce to start with, but we're true converts afterwards.

First visited Germany in 1977 as a kid. Had Currywurst. Loved it. Curry sauce wasn't really broadly available in Irish supermarkets back then and a Bratwurst was a thing of fantasy. My Dad reintroduced me to it Irish style in the early 80's. Pan fried pork sausage with Knorr curry sauce on top. Chips too.:D

That was a very late dinner! It's a fattier cut you'll need, not a leaner one ;)

Night owl, me :pac: thanks for the tip

We drew numbers according to each countries' position in the line-up. Ended up with Moldova, Albania, Denmark & Germany. Being he for the evening I decided upon German cuisine for dinner. (I wouldn't know where to start with the others.)

The Kids were a bit suspicious of sausages with curry sauce to start with, but we're true converts afterwards.

Currywurst is one of my absolute favorite meals, I'd kill for some now.

I made my own version of yuk sung with loads of beansprouts. Didn't have fresh ginger so I had to use a little powder instead. It still tasted really nice but I think it would have been better with fresh ginger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

pew wrote: »
    I made my own version of yuk sung with loads of beansprouts. Didn't have fresh ginger so I had to use a little powder instead. It still tasted really nice but I think it would have been better with fresh ginger.

Why don’t Aldi stock bean sprouts? I miss bean sprouts!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Shakshuka with garlic flatbreads. Forgot to season, so a bit bland, but my experiment of putting garlic with the dough worked wonderfully.

Why don’t Aldi stock bean sprouts? I miss bean sprouts!!

Lidl currently have jars of it on special this week, that's where I got mine. Also a big bag only costs 75c in marks and Spencer :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The child that's not in school told me I'd eaten my third chicken fillet! I wasn't counting, as it was delicious. Holy moley. 5 frozen fillets, turned out to be 6 thawed. This was always going to be a winner. 8am, into bowl with buttermilk. Cover. 5pm, remove, and mix with flour and spice mix. Deep fry for a few mins each side. Reserve, then put between burger buns. There's no way that's chicken, says the kids. But they ate it sweet. And with no ketchup. They're slowly learning.

450937.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Potato and pea curry, it had some spice to it, baby ate it like nothing, I was quite impressed and even Mr. Picky jr ate a small bowl of it like a good lad.
    I added some garlicky shrimp to mine because they needed to be used.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Aldi Irish Angus quarter pounders cooked on the barbecue in brioche buns with McDonalds style trimmings, and potato cubes from the Airfryer. I use a capital A for Airfryer because I love it so much :D

IMG_4319.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Aldi Irish Angus quarter pounders cooked on the barbecue in brioche buns with McDonalds style trimmings, and potato cubes from the Airfryer. I use a capital A for Airfryer because I love it so much :D

Those chips - pardon me, potato cubes :D - absolutely look the business.
    I'd been debating if an airfryer is a justifiable expense for us at the moment, but looking at those I think it is.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Those chips - pardon me, potato cubes :D - absolutely look the business.
    I'd been debating if an airfryer is a justifiable expense for us at the moment, but looking at those I think it is.

It really is the most amazing appliance. I made those cubes with Roosters - cubed, washed and dried and tossed a tablespoon of sunflower oil. Then they were cooked for 10 minutes at 160C, shaken and cooked for another 10 minutes at 180C, shaking them after 5 minutes. There were some left over so I reheated them the next day for 5 minutes at 140C and they were just as nice.
    Chips/potato cubes made with new Italian or Cyprus potatoes are even nicer. I line the base (not the basket) with tinfoil so there's little washing up.

Round roast beef, Yorkshire puds, green beans, roasties and a mushroom, red onion and red wine gravy. All accompanying a nice glass of red wine!

20180520_145610_800x600.jpg

Chicken & Mushroom risotto, using arborio rice, fried off a few shallots and garlic cloves in butter, and mushrooms, cooked chicken, seasoned, add rice, add chicken stock & 1 glass of white wine is optional, ladle by ladle until each bit of stock absorbs, for about 20 mins, season to taste, add some parsley and you're good to go!

Grated cheese also

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Not quite dinner time, but I'm having hommous and salad:

salad.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Beer battered fresh Cod and pasta bake.

Edit: I just realised how greasy they look, but that grease mainly dripped of the utensil I used for lifting them from the deep fat fryer, when you deep fat fry batter, the immense heat and steam cooks the fish from the batter inwards,. yes the batter gets greasy so kitchen towel or baking paper is a must and enjoy...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Still not fully functional around the kitchen with the sprained left thumb and right shoulder, but at this point I'm just too fed up with pizza from the freezer, baked bean and the husband's culinary limits - baked potato.

So tonight, we got the BBQ out and had halloumi, quorn sausages and corn on the cob. I made a potato salad and a pasta salad to go with it.
    And I made peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies, which I can't keep my hands off now.

Let's see what I'll be able to do tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Shenshen wrote: »
    I would go for a bigger one, even if just cooking for one person the regular one is a bit small.

In the US these power air fryers are popular, and cheap

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Fryer-High-Street-TV/dp/B0711QLFQ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527369113&sr=8-1&keywords=airfryer+xl

I would probably go for this 5L one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Fryer-High-Street-TV/dp/B073QVBHSZ/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1527370579&sr=1-1&keywords=power+air+fryer+5l

this salter one is bigger again and has good reviews
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Salter-EK2205-Healthy-Digital-Fryer/dp/B01GCEGG2I/ref=sr_1_10?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1527370396&sr=1-10&keywords=Power+Air+Fryer

Youtube videos are good for gauging size.

Out with a friend so we went to Eddie Rockets: cheeseburger, cheesy fries, and a strawberry malt. Mmmm.

Lentil bolognese. Made loads of sauce, but apparently not enough pasta. Tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

BBQd m&s ‘best burgers ever’ burgers, brioche bun, red cheddar melted on, bbqd a smoked rasher. The only vegetable was in the ballymaloe & coleslaw. Incredible. Diet starts back tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Looks delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭ellejay

BBQd m&s ‘best burgers ever’ burgers, brioche bun, red cheddar melted on, bbqd a smoked rasher. The only vegetable was in the ballymaloe & coleslaw. Incredible. Diet starts back tomorrow.

Is that the burger with bone marrow?

• Advertisement

A barbecued chicken fillet with spicy rice. We've already used the barbecue more times this year than we did during the whole summer last year.

IMG_4382.jpg

Advertisement