Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Beans and gravy?!?

I know. I grew up with Bangers and Mash served with beans. Onion gravy was far too exotic back then.:D In fact my mother wouldn't have even considered any kind of gravy over sausages. In the early '90s I was in a restaurant on Suffolk St. in Dublin called Mr. Pussy's Cafe Deluxe. A great spot. They had Bangers and Mash on the menu served with onion gravy and baked beans. It was that kind of place.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Mexican-style puff pastry parcel.
    They're filled with a mixture of kidney beans, sweetcorn, peppers, onions and tomato, with a bit of oregano, chili and cumin. And cheese.

0cdFwWR.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

^^^ They look AMAZING ^^^

B0jangles wrote: »
    ^^^ They look AMAZING ^^^

Thanks. Two of them opened up during the baking, but they were still well tasty. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Shenshen wrote: »
    Thanks. Two of them opened up during the baking, but they were still well tasty. :D

That's just proof they were filled properly!

• Advertisement

I made cauliflower and cashew tikka masala last night, with some baked pakoras and fresh chapatis. Unfortunately, it was gone too fast tot take any photos.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sova vegan Butcher, going back next week:

King Oyster Mushroom dish
    XMLFcDGl.jpg

Seitan steak with pepper sauce
    ZoahMVIl.jpg

Whole medley of things including a coconut based base and an avocado mousse.
    5YWqvj2l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I never post in this thread but what I made today was loverly.
    The boyf only eats meat and potatoes and he's not here so I had Cous cous with Roasted red peppers and mint served with some lamb cutlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Shenshen wrote: »
    I made cauliflower and cashew tikka masala last night, with some baked pakoras and fresh chapatis. Unfortunately, it was gone too fast tot take any photos.

I made the same the other night and had exactly the same problem!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Went to the first culinary event with Vegan Dublin Food Tours by Vegan In Ireland at Ananda with a friend last night. I was wondering how popular that would be and was pleasantly surprised to see a sign saying the restaurant was closed for a vegan tasting event as I approached.

There was about 40 people there, only 10 of which were vegan I was told upon entering, so it would be interesting to see what everybody else thought. We were seated with four other people that I didn't know but were lovely. They were really into food, cooking and Ananda in general, they were there to see could the food be good, what would it even be like and so on.

The Head Chef and Sivan from Vegan in Ireland came out and gave a talk about the night, veganism, the food and what went into it, the origins in India and so forth, a really endearing young man and great speech from Sivan to start of their series of events. The food arrived and it was "Old Delhi Chaat", the host explained what it was and how to eat it properly. I plucked it up with one hand and ate it in a single bite as advised. There was so much going on that I can not tell you what exactly was in it but honestly the flavours were still changing in my mouth after ten seconds and it was heaven. Murmurs of assent from the crowd, a really nice atmosphere. I knew I was in for a good time.

Following on from that there was the Assiette which consisted of a potato and pea galette, a fermented rice cake, pickled tea leaves with spiced chickpeas, a corn and watercress seekh kebab and a plum citrus salad. Star of the show here was the fermented rice cake if I had to choose, the chef said after that it would be the first thing from menu onto their main menu due to the feedback for it, I'm not sure what witchcraft made it fluffy, it was an lighter fermented savoury victorian sponge cake taht was left soaking flavours overnight. At this stage one of the people there piped up that this was as good as if not better than the normal Ananda tasting menu and another joined in with the fact that she really wanted to find any fault with the vegan food but everything was amazing.

The fermentation was not over as it must be in vogue, before the next course came out they brought out the most interesting component in some jars for each table to smell, and if very adventurous, taste. It was aged black limes, fermented. The jars were opened as the chef explained to the room that the black limes were dried for two months before being fermented for a year, it was pungent! My nose did not know wtf it was witnessing when I brought the jar close, it was electric. I dipped a knife in and it was some form of new taste I had never had anything like. The course involving it arrived, a Himalayan sea salt with toasted cumin seed sorbet, aged black lime on top. So strange to have cumin seeds in a sorbet, really delicious.
    Next up was apricot and butternut squash koftas with textures of spinach, fresh tumeric, quinoa and wild morel pulao. With that came tandoori bread with a vessel of yellow split pea daal. Fantastic.

Final course was coconut kheer, with seasonal macerated and fresh berries, lemon verbena, crisp kataifi, raspberry sorbet and 24 karat gold leaf. Delicious, dessert, made with coconut milk instead of dairy and was a nice twist. As a woman said, in Ireland we have terrible memories of rice pudding but this changed all that. The berries really reminded me of what a difference perfect fruit makes vs the standard affair and the nest of "kataifi" was wonderful.

Finished off with coffee (I shouldn't have had this was buzzing all night.) while there was a Q&A with the chef along with feedback and so forth (first comment from a woman telling him they were all in love with him now), a few rounds of applause and things like that after a closing speech from Vegan In Ireland. The chef hung around with all the staff to talk to us about the food, was a really great experience and have felt great since. It is always good to see some non-vegan people trying food like that and being wowed.
    https://imgur.com/a/pjZhRnx
    https://veganinireland.com/irelands-chefs-are-going-vegan-vegan-in-ireland-culinary-event-series

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Wow sounds amazing!

Will definitely look into attending one of those events.

I really want to try the Afternoon Tea one at the Shelbourne or the wine and cheese tasting night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

€70 for a 4 course Vegan dinner? That's more expensive than I thought. Seems way overpriced for cost of ingredients.

Ah yeah it is expensive all right and I was dubious to go at first but I'd expect no less from a fine dining restaurant and it was a fantastic experience. It's not so much about cost as it is about what they can do with the food. Same as I don't compare art to the price of the paint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah I've had the tasting menu three times in Ananda over the years, a la carte a few visits too. My fav place to go in Ireland. The meat one has gone up a bit in price, but it's still good value

http://anandarestaurant.ie/wp-content/uploads/menus/ANANDA%20TASTING%20MENU%20APRIL%202018_FINAL.pdf

I do think vegans get ripped off when eating out. Although that vegan butcher looks very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Sautéed potatoes, mini chicken fillets in breadcrumbs and baked beans - licked the plate

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

IMG_3395.jpg

Quorn chilli, fried potatoes, Guacamole, fried egg.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had chicken enchiladas but I forgot to take a photo. Hadn't had them in a long time and they were fab. It's a really good recipe posted here on Boards a few years ago.

Potato and onion hash with poached egg.

All home grown. Potato and onion from friends allotment. Eggs from friends hens. Rosemary from my own garden.

2lt5zet.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Grilled spiced lamb steaks served with a parsley and onion salad with lemon juice, harissa and chickpea hummus and some lemon infused couscous - and a minted plain ypghurt with dry pan fried pitta bread for dipping.

20180826_173219.jpg

• Advertisement

Started some serious harvesting in the garden, and then wondered what to do with it all.
    So last night, we had a potato and kohlrabi gratin, with some runner beans. I never would have thought kohlrabi would work quite so beautifully in a potato gratin, it was amazing!

Hop64sB.jpg

3Hno5nM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My parents were visiting for the weekend, so we did a proper sit down dinner last night.

Heritage cure bacon from James Whelan butchers, peas, roast potatoes, carrot mash, with a mustard white sauce.

Homemade lemon drizzle cake with creme fraiche or ice cream for dessert.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,006 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Buffalo tail casseroled with tomatoes, red wine and herbs. Served with wet polenta and gremolata.

As good a stew as I've ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

n5aGu4Bm.jpg

Chicken stuffed with black pudding and wrapped in bacon with fondant potatoes. The sauce is the stock from the potatoes. Being on holidays has it advantages cooking wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Spag bol which Mr Crumbled cooked. One slight snag however. I bought Aldi frozen garlic because they had no fresh. Caught Mr C shaking it into the sauce at a rate of knots. Shrieked "OMG, what are you doing with the garlic?!" He replied "Oh I wasn't thinking, thought that was onion"!

It'll keep the vampires away anyway!

Ad hoc dinner tonight as had a big lunch!

Wheaten crackers, homemade chutney(thanks to Mysteryegg and dizzy blonde) topped with black sticks blue cheese.

Rest of the chutney going away for Christmas.

And a glass of Pink Cava, cos it's Thursday!

ilyvzq.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Turkey burgers. Put peanut putter on the kids ones, they loved the gooeyness. I had pastrami, mayo and a fried egg on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

BBQ’d surf n turf with a light seasoning of September rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Had an amazing 6 course dinner in Snaffles Restaurant, Castle Leslie last night! Here's a picture of the main. Fillet of beef in a pink peppercorn sauce..amazing!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Low carb chicken Maryland with a side salad.

Made the crumb with almond flour and Parmesan and some chilli flakes

Advertisement