Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Wholemeal Slimbo slice, half a perfectly ripe avocado (:D), slice of smoked salmon and a poached eggs. Two of em. :) The other one not pictured was decidedly messier looking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Wednesday night was a very welcome homemade beef & balti.
    Last night was chipper after a trip out to the flicks to see Rogue One.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Wednesday night was a very welcome homemade beef & balti. Last night was chipper after a trip out to the flicks to see Rogue One.

Think we'll be with you on a chipper as we're going to see Rogue one later too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I had chipper last night too but no film. Tonight we're having chicken bhuna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Probably one of the nicest things I've ever made. Spuntinos bone marrow beef sliders with brioche buns. I made chipotle slaw and crispy onions to go with them.

IMG_8915%20copy_zpslatlljst.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What butchers you get the marrow from and what's the recipe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

That looks amazing SB_Part2. How did you make the chipotle slaw? Could you post the recipe and method for it please?

Last night was chicken, cabbage and a baked potato, odd combination but one of the few appealing things to me right now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Here's the recipe. I got the bone marrow in The English Market in Cork but my local butchers in Cabra do it as well.

For the chipotle slaw I roughed it. 1/2 cup red cabbage, 1/2 cup white cabbage, 1 carrot, 1 red onion , teaspoon honey, 1/2 cup mayo, 2 chipotle chills, juice of 1 lime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Last night's dinner was salmon fillet and a large vine tomato, both done on the griddle pan.

Served with brown rice (the cheat's two-minute version as I can't be arsed waiting otherwise), runner beans and chilli sauce in a wee packet which came with the salmon. Tasty fayre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Just me and the kids today, so I gave in to their demands of a KFC dinner, but I made it myself

Thighs and drumsticks done with a recipe from a book the wife has called "fakeaway" (or something) she had this one photo copied and stuck to the notice board (she's a vegetarian, so obviously a hint for us)

Anyway. We had chicken, served with pineapple salsa on the side :

(quarter pineapple, length ways, remove core and skin. Dry fry in a pan.for 5'mins or so to get them charred up. Then finely wife it, throw in a bowl complete with juice. Handful of finely chopped mint, finely chopped chilli (leave seeds in if you like a kick) finely diced small red onion, juice of a lime, stir well, then season)

And a bowl of homemade chips.

The chicken and the salsa were a great accompaniment to each other, though I think the next time I make it, I might ease up on the lime juice. (It was just a little bitter on its own)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Spot the Freudian slip? ;)

^ Spot the Freudian slip? ;)

Yeah but as she is fine, I'm gonna leave it hang on in there. :)

**should have read "slice" btw :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I spent this afternoon making some chocolate truffles for a dinner party this evening. They're all made with 70% chocolate - the ones dusted in icing sugar have Tia Maria included, the cocoa powder ones have brandy in them and the other ones are plain covered in chopped cashew nuts. I bought lovely dinky foil cups and presentation boxes online - I hope they make a nice gift to the host!

(Once upon a time I'd be bringing flaggons of cider to a NYE party, now I'm bringing homemade truffles. The joys of middle age!)

DSC_1296_zpsybpzrefl.jpg

I bounced the brown ones around on a sieve to get this pattern on them:

DSC_1303_zpslbkz0ge8.jpg

Now I'm all packed up and ready to go!

DSC_1304_zpsns2jym3i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Wow!!

Getting all excited for NYE here. Ordered Bombay Pantry for delivery at 8pm, the same time as the final installment of Harry Potter starts. Bottle of Goudale beer in hand, a perfect evening ahead! :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Garlic, honey and soy roast chicken with stir fried veg and rice.

I had Moroccan meatballs, served with lemon and coriander couscous.

Got a slow cooker recipe book from the kids for Christmas and this recipe was in it. The meatballs were made with turkey mince (I know, so close to Christmas too) lentils and egg yolk.

The sauce consisted of tomatoes, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon chopped garlic, ginger, fried finely sliced onions, and some chicken stock.

It was pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

After eating out, pigging out and takeaways since last Monday, today it was back to wholesome food.

Roast potatoes in goose fat, mash, garden peas, carrott and parsnip mix with baked ham. A drop of gravy too! And beer. Don't forget the beer!

We had a handy roast lamb dinner - some leftover frozen leg of lamb reheated in the oven - with mash, veg and gravy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Oh beef, how I missed thee. Some Mushrooms and greens missing from photo

vh3z21.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

I had Moroccan meatballs, served with lemon and coriander couscous.

Got a slow cooker recipe book from the kids for Christmas and this recipe was in it.
    <snip>

Those meatballs sound good. Which slow cooker book did you get given? There's millions of them nowadays :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Malaysian Satay Chicken on skewers with a cucumber salad and fried rice.

I bought myself a present today - a Chefs knife. A Richardson Sheffield jobbie. Well worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Malaysian Satay Chicken on skewers with a cucumber salad and fried rice.

I bought myself a present today - a Chefs knife. A Richardson Sheffield jobbie. Well worth the money.

Can't go wrong with a decent knife. I was stuck for what to buy my husband for our anniversary last month and ended up buying him a Sabatier knife. Holy crap he was so happy!

Here's what we had for dinner tonight... it's firmly January in our house. Omelettes with mozzarella, tomato and onion with a side salad of carrots, beets, lettuce, avocado and balsamic dressing.

DSC_1314_zpsg5lol9a6.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had friends over for a long lunch (still on holidays, yeah!) so I made a simple lamb curry in the morning and left it to simmer til lunch. It ended up being really tender and delicious. In the absence of naan, I warmed some pittas in the oven and brushed them with garlic and herb butter, and we ate it with those, and some rice, mango chutney and sour cream. Dessert was apple tart with maple cream. Yum.

This evening we had gucky (aka guggy/googie) eggs with buttery toast and tea. Lovely.

arian wrote: »
    Those meatballs sound good. Which slow cooker book did you get given? There's millions of them nowadays :)

Here's the book.

B9E8AQ.jpg

And the recipe.
    ADEUdM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Tonight's humble dinner consisted of chicken breast, wrapped in a couple of bacon slices, roasted along with a tomato. Served with fried onion and two minute lazyitis Mexican rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight was griddled lamb cutlets and baked potatoes. Simple, easy and delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Veggie "sausage" rolls and a lovely Austrian potato salad.
    And good Polish mustard to dip the rolls in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Here's the book.

<snip>

And the recipe.
    <snip>

Many thanks. Will have a go at the meatballs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Slow roasted pork belly with homemade apple chutney and some veg for filler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Last night was rice with vegetarian curry I made.

Tonight was egg fried rice, roasted root veg, grilled mushrooms with grilled Cajun turkey steak

Advertisement