Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Stargazer7 wrote: »
    I've cooked pasta in stock and have heard of cooking it in wine...what does cooking it in milk do?

You're left with a bit of milk after it's been absorbed and the starch from the pasta thickens it a bit so you can just grate your cheese straight in, give it a mix, and it makes the cheese sauce.

I wouldn't do it if I actually wanted a load of it mac n cheese, but it's handy when you're hungry and don't want to dirty two pots.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

kylith wrote: »
    You're left with a bit of milk after it's been absorbed and the starch from the pasta thickens it a bit so you can just grate your cheese straight in, give it a mix, and it makes the cheese sauce.

I wouldn't do it if I actually wanted a load of it mac n cheese, but it's handy when you're hungry and don't want to dirty two pots.

Well that sounds delicious...must give it a go. After reading what you said (and having a dicky tummy today) I did the same thing with chicken stock today, adding in a bit of butter and salt and pepper at the end...simple but yummy!

Bacon and cabbage here tonight.

That bacon looks absolutely delicious!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That bacon looks absolutely delicious!

It really was delicious, its the loin of bacon from Aldi and it's always really tender. I simmered it first then put wholegrain mustard and brown sugar on and put it in the oven for half and hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Well that sounds delicious...must give it a go. After reading what you said (and having a dicky tummy today) I did the same thing with chicken stock today, adding in a bit of butter and salt and pepper at the end...simple but yummy!

Like I said, it can be hit and miss and you may need to add a splash more milk at the end, but it's pretty handy.

Apparently you can do the same in the microwave, but since it actually takes longer to cook pasta in a microwave than a pot I haven't tried it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Prawn Korma. One of my favourite meals the last while.

20181016-1917132.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

That prawn curry looks goregous - did you use a particular recipe?

leahyl wrote: »
    That prawn curry looks goregous - did you use a particular recipe?

Yeah it's a BBC GoodFood one. Tried finding it online but it's not there, so I must have gotten it from one of the books.

The sauce is a low-calorie version with Tesco Korma paste, 2tbsp ground almonds and 150ml of water (for one serving). I've made a chicken korma version a few times with coconut milk which is creamier, but prefer this way for the prawns. Very simple to make. There's onions in the recipe but I don't really like them so don't bother with them. I also throw chopped spinach into the rice once it's cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Slow cooker venison stew with roasted garlic and chive mash. So very good I'm being told by the current Mrs. S that she may well reward me later in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Slow cooker venison stew with roasted garlic and chive mash. So very good I'm being told by the current Mrs. S that she may well reward me later in the evening.

Pics? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Pics? :D

Of the dinner, not the reward!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Sorry. No pics available. We are not exihibtionists.😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Someone give me something to cook with today that I can bring into work the next 4 days? I was thinking of some sort of curry but something that doesn't take too long. 3-4hrs is fine.

Curry Addicts looks a bit long winded. Might do a chilli or beef cheek stew

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

RasTa wrote: »
    Someone give me something to cook with today that I can bring into work the next 4 days? I was thinking of some sort of curry but something that doesn't take too long. 3-4hrs is fine.

A big bolognese that could be with pasta today. Add kidney beans and chilli and baked potatoes for work

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

RasTa wrote: »

I usually make a batch of Imam Bayildi whenever I need food for a few days to bring into work.
    It doesn't take long to make, and it's one of those dishes that get better the longer they sit in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Aubergine, tomato and fenugreek curry with home made raita and mini roast potatoes with red onion

27xmikk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Smash burgers following the Bon Appetit video, gorgeous as always

Pasta with a white wine and sage cream sauce, butternut squash roasted with garlic and rosemary, peas and some garlic bread.
    And a glass of white wine, obviously :)

7eCsaWm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Beautiful duck breasts with runner beans and baby potatoes.

464465.jpeg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Pizza. Wanted to jazz it up, young lad said you should put sausages on it. I pre cooked them, and had them sticking up like little fingers. So funny. But so good.

• Advertisement

Had an air-fried salmon fillet with sriracha sauce on it and some cauliflower rice. Doesn't look all that great but man it hits the spot.

A Thai Curry with tempeh, butternut squash and loads of vegetables.
    First time I tried tempeh, I'm not really sold on it to be honest. Next time, it'll be Quorn chicken style pieces again :)

cUJ4aD7.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Roast vegetables with lentils and spiced yoghurt and rye bread.

20181029-193200.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

Lamb kofteh with home-made labneh, braised chickpeas and stone-baked flat breads (as in done in the oven on an upturned pan)

464910.jpeg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Lamb kofteh with home-made labneh, braised chickpeas and stone-baked flat breads (as in done in the oven on an upturned pan)

Looks and sounds seriously good!
    Was reading about labneh recently and was thinking of making my own. Anybody know is it worth trying? Does it need to drain in the fridge or can it be left at room temp?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Looks and sounds seriously good!
    Was reading about labneh recently and was thinking of making my own. Anybody know is it worth trying? Does it need to drain in the fridge or can it be left at room temp?

Definitely worth it.......dead easy to make and went really well with the kofte. I drained it in the fridge, but at this time of year you could probably do it in an unheated kitchen.

Mixed up the remainder with some fresh mint to have tomorrow as a snack.

I freaking love labneh....is it time consuming to make at home? (Edit - question answered!)

I freaking love labneh....is it time consuming to make at home? (Edit - question answered!)

Nope.......mixed 500ml of low fat Greek yoghurt with a table spoon of sea salt......lobbed the yoghurt into sieve lined with a square of muslin, gathered up the corners and secured it with a clip, then put the muslin and sieve over a bowl and into the fridge. Left it for 48 hours - emptying out the whey every few hours as it ran out.

Result......

464915.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Where do you buy muslin? Hickeys?

• Advertisement

^ Where do you buy muslin? Hickeys?

Funny story.......I went into Nisbets to get some where I bought a roll of it.

Thought I bought 1m roll, turns out it was a 10m one :)

Thankfully, I've a load of fruit jellies and jams to make.

Advertisement