Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swapping front and back tyres - potential problems?

Options
  • 31-10-2016 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I want to swap the front and back tyres on my bike - after a year plus of my fat arse on the saddle, the back tyre is more worn than the front.

For the front wheel I imagine it's just a case of removing the wheel and deflating the tube before sliding the tyre off, but the back wheel will be more complicated. As it's a bike with gears, there is a derailleur attached to the back wheel, and I'm wondering if there are any potential problems I need to anticipate and prepare for?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Don't do this. Front wheel is essential for steering, you get a blowout and it could end badly.

Move the front to the rear and put a new tire on the front if you want to save money but don't put a badly worn or shaped old tire on the front.

Also YouTube is a great resource for all things cycling related. Should be hundreds of videos up there to guide you through the process better than anyone could describe.

https://youtu.be/X-fMtNOS_gU - remove back wheel

https://youtu.be/sGdu4fkrQ9M - Change tyre

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I swap tyres it regularly (every 1500 - 2000km roughly) to equal the wear. As grip on the road only minimally depends on the thread, I'm not to worried about sliding out. Also, I don't wear tyres to the point I risk a blowout anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Thanks.

It's not so worn that I'd consider it dangerous. I'd like to get a bit more use out if it though.

Thanks for the links too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

leave it on the back until it starts puncturing regularly. Then move front to back and put new tyre on the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

cdaly_ wrote: »
    leave it on the back until it starts puncturing regularly. Then move front to back and put new tyre on the front.

This is exactly what I do too.

OP swapping the wheels around isn't a problem in itself. Don't be put off my the gears/derailleur (btw the derailleur is attached to the bike frame and not the wheel).

When you drop the rear wheel back onto the chain, tighten the skewers and spin the peddles the gears will pick up the chain. First time you do it you'll get it right every time after.

• Advertisement
Advertisement