Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle from Northern Ireland

• 31-10-2016 10:40am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭

So I have seen quite a few good motorcycles from Northern Ireland that are either not available or are much cheaper than here even with vrt. So if I buy it from there can I drive it back home? Or in case I get pulled over they would take the bike away for no insurance and tax?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

You have to book an appointment to do the VRT within 7 days and complete the process within 30 days of importing the bike.

Vrt for used bikes is €2 per cc for the first 350cc and then €1 for every cc after that. There is a nice discount applied though depending on the age.

You will need to have insurance obviously from the moment you start riding the bike. You should not have any problems with the insurance companies giving them a NI reg.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/coming_to_live_in_ireland/importing_car_into_ireland.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

your provisional license isn't valid in NI so you could have issues there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭M94

I have a family friend with a full license for over 20 years so that shouldn't be a problem. He can drive back the motorcycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I also bought my bike from up north, forget about the tax sale of the bike will cover that (not legally but it would wanna be a right prick of a police officer to do you) you can arrange insurance there and then. I rang my insurance company to go live from the chaps garden, just make sure you rang previous to sort it all out.

The police up north are sound as long as you are not acting the gob****e TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

M94 wrote: »
    I have a family friend with a full license for over 20 years so that shouldn't be a problem. He can drive back the motorcycle.

grand so, you should be sorted then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I'm waiting a week for the VRT people to give me an appointment. I'm not mad about driving about with a yellow plate.

There seems to be a bit of a back log at the moment for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

M94 wrote: »

Be sure that his riding other bike extension covers NI.

I heard of someone who bought new in NI. They only had a learners permit from here and had to wait to pass before the bike was given to them, plenty of mates with full licence and insurance even access to a van.

Advertisement