Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can i return unused electronics, if seal on box is broken?

Options
  • 31-10-2016 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

I purchased a tablet from argos on Saturday.
    When i got it home and tried it i found it doesnt work on my wifi (it doesnt do 5ghz).

This information wasn't indicated on the packaging so i wasn't aware at the time it wouldn't be suitable for me.

I want to return the item but:
    -the box was shrink wrapped with this tape all around the edges that had to be removed to open the box.

-there was a sticky label on the screen of the tablet i had to remove.

As the box was opened and the label on the screen was removed, can i still return the item for a full refund?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

When you contacted Argos, what was their response?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Bring it back into Argos and tell them it does not work on your WiFi. They will probably ask if you want a replacement or a refund. As above, going good straight to argos and let them know it does not work.

I have never had issues with returning there once prompt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Argos have a 14 day no questions money back guarantee. For work I've often sent a customer to buy a temporary router or set of home plugs, told then keep all packaging, then ordered a better set on Amazon with the plan to return them for a refund

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You've limited statutory rights (catalogue shops are distance selling basically, as you can't see the product) that you wouldnt have with other retailers. However, Argos are generally excellent for returns anyway so just being nice when asking to return will probably work and be a lot easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

L1011 wrote: »
    You've limited statutory rights (catalogue shops are distance selling basically, as you can't see the product) that you wouldnt have with other retailers. However, Argos are generally excellent for returns anyway so just being nice when asking to return will probably work and be a lot easier

Wow, didn't know buying in an Argos shop was the same as distance selling, that is very interesting. So consumers actually have a right to bring items back to Argos if they change their mind and Argos have no legal option but to accept the return? Very interesting.

Is the op's case not caveat emptor? He/she didn't check the tablet is compatible with his/her wifi? Unless the item is broken, any acceptance of return is a gesture of goodwill (which Argos would seem to be good for) rather than an entitlement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,148 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

There are exclusions on the 14 day return with electronics usually being one such item, chance your arm explaining the issue you should hopefully get at least an exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

davo10 wrote: »
    Wow, didn't know buying in an Argos shop was the same as distance selling, that is very interesting. So consumers actually have a right to bring items back to Argos if they change their mind and Argos have no legal option but to accept the return? Very interesting.

Is the op's case not caveat emptor? He/she didn't check the tablet is compatible with his/her wifi? Unless the item is broken, any acceptance of return is a gesture of goodwill (which Argos would seem to be good for) rather than an entitlement.

Other way round, you have more rights online, you have the option of changing your mind when you buy online, you don't have this when you buy in a store. Argos are good to deal with and usually accept returns.

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

You've limited statutory rights (catalogue shops are distance selling basically, as you can't see the product) that you wouldnt have with other retailers.

I don't think this is the case, Argos will allow you to examine an item out of the box before purchasing. They are a bricks and mortar shop, just like the rest - they just happen to have better return policies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Argos have a 14 day no questions money back guarantee. For work I've often sent a customer to buy a temporary router or set of home plugs, told then keep all packaging, then ordered a better set on Amazon with the plan to return them for a refund
    Classy.
    I wonder how you would feel if your customers did the same to you.
    Argos isn't a parts library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Other way round, you have more rights online, you have the option of changing your mind when you buy online, you don't have this when you buy in a store. Argos are good to deal with and usually accept returns.

That's what I thought, I didn't think those extra online/distant selling rights extended to goods physically bought in a shop just because they have catalogues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP bought the item on the basis that it could do 5Ghz simply because 'This information wasn't indicated on the packaging' i.e. it didn't say on the box that it could not do 5hz therefore he assumed it could.

On which basis he could also bring it back because it doesn't make toast or boil water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Off topic but... honestly? That is deplorable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Spocker wrote: »
    I don't think this is the case, Argos will allow you to examine an item out of the box before purchasing. They are a bricks and mortar shop, just like the rest - they just happen to have better return policies

Except for items which are exempt from their 30 day change of mind returns policy, items which are considered personal items like Ear rings and studs, all products containing memory like cameras, usb sticks, hard drives, tablets, laptops etc.

OP most routers will have a 2.4/5Ghz setting to allow for using products which don't have 5Ghz wireless adaptors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Argos are probably the best out there in terms of returning items. I have never had issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

What a sh1tty thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

It's practices like this that make retailers reduce/eliminate their returns policy.

It's practices like this that make retailers reduce/eliminate their returns policy.

Exactly. It costs money to have a no quibble money back guarantee, the shop is going to end up with stock that is either unsaleable or which has to be sold at a discount as 'display stock' because the packaging has been mauled or destroyed.

Abusing this facility will lead to a retailer pulling up the drawbridge and reverting to 'legal rights only'.

Argos has a hardcopy catalogue you can take home, an online catalogue on the web and multiple copies of their catalog available for inspection instore as well as terminals where you can inspect their offerings.

In all cases, Argos gives you the manufacturer model or part no. for every electronics item meaning you can do the research to see what you're buying so there is no excuse for buying an item, bringing it home and 'discovering' that it doesn't have some feature you assumed it would have because the box didn't say it didn't have that feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

In fairness, I don't think too many people would check the frequency of their WIFI for compatibility when ordering a laptop/tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

dobsdave wrote: »
    In fairness, I don't think too many people would check the frequency of their WIFI for compatibility when ordering a laptop/tablet.

How many routers only do 5GHz though? If you specifically bought a router which does not comply with the WIFI standards, 802.11ac is backwards compatabile, then you would make sure that you buy compatabile devices.

UPC provide routers that can do one of 2.4 and 5, but not both. It's ridiculous but not uncommon.

• Advertisement

UPC provide routers that can do one of 2.4 and 5, but not both. It's ridiculous but not uncommon.

The UPC Horizon box does both. When you install it, it's set to do 2.4Ghz only but you can activate 5 Ghz with a new password and it will happily connect devices on both frequencies concurrently, each one with a different SSID.

coylemj wrote: »
    The UPC Horizon box does both. When you install it, it's set to do 2.4Ghz only but you can activate 5 Ghz with a new password and it will happily connect devices on both frequencies concurrently, each one with a different SSID.

The recent Thomson/Technicolor is what I'm referring to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

This is exactly the issue, the UPC Thompson router will do either 2.4 or 5, but not both at the same time.
    All phones, laptops and other tablets in the apartment use 5ghz. the tablet i purchased only works on 2.4ghz.

When the router is set to 5ghz the tablet didnt even see the wireless network in its list. it could only see it when the router was explicitly set to 2.4ghz.

2.4ghz does not work well in our apartment block due to interference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I don't see how us ordinary Joe Soaps would know anything about this though.

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    2.4ghz does not work well in our apartment block due to interference.

Have you tried different channels on 2.4 Ghz? There are scanner apps which will show you the activity in your neighbourhood on the different channels and you can pick a channel that is not congested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Have you tried different channels on 2.4 Ghz? There are scanner apps which will show you the activity in your neighbourhood on the different channels and you can pick a channel that is not congested.

yes, tried all 13 channels, 6 was the least congested, but still causes problems occasionally, problems which disappear when switching to 5ghz.
    Diagnosis of the issue was made using "Wifi analyzer" for android, which shows networks, channels and congestion.

Problem is resolved, i took a spin to argos and they refunded without any issue. Wonder what happens to the device, will they sell it on in a sale "as is" or send it back to the manufacturer for repackaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    I purchased a tablet from argos on Saturday.
    When i got it home and tried it i found it doesnt work on my wifi (it doesnt do 5ghz).

This information wasn't indicated on the packaging so i wasn't aware at the time it wouldn't be suitable for me.

I want to return the item but:
    -the box was shrink wrapped with this tape all around the edges that had to be removed to open the box.

-there was a sticky label on the screen of the tablet i had to remove.

As the box was opened and the label on the screen was removed, can i still return the item for a full refund?

Just wondering what router you are using. generally when a router transmits at 5 ghz it also transmits at 2.4 also

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Just wondering what router you are using. generally when a router transmits at 5 ghz it also transmits at 2.4 also

As stated, a UPC Thomson which does not allow this. It can operate either, but not both. This is quite a common router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Fair fcuks to you, nobody got hurt

• Advertisement

Fair fcuks to you, nobody got hurt

Except Argos, and anyone who would want to use the returns policy in future should they cease it due to rampant abuse.

This may be a consumer issues forum but deliberately/systemically defrauding retailers is not acceptable conversation.

Advertisement