Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can i return unused electronics, if seal on box is broken?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    yes, tried all 13 channels, 6 was the least congested, but still causes problems occasionally, problems which disappear when switching to 5ghz.
    Diagnosis of the issue was made using "Wifi analyzer" for android, which shows networks, channels and congestion.

Problem is resolved, i took a spin to argos and they refunded without any issue.
    good to hear. I presume you stuck with explainging the 5GHz issue rather than the other oh so helpful one suggested about not being able to boiling water or make toast.

Argos probably thought you were one of these
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reasonable_person
    probably not if you gave the toast excuse though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

rubadub wrote: »
    good to hear. I presume you stuck with explainging the 5GHz issue rather than the other oh so helpful one suggested about not being able to boiling water or make toast.

Argos probably thought you were one of these
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reasonable_person
    probably not if you gave the toast excuse though.

yep, explained the situation, showed them the box where it said it adheres to the IEEE 802.11 N wifi standards, that N usually means 2.4ghz and 5ghz but it didnt indicate that it did not do 5ghz. Even the lenovo webpage doesnt indicate this in the tech specs, it just says "CONNECTIVITY - Broadcom 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi wireless"

The chap was very understanding, checked the device worked & all cables were presesnt and refunded. took about 3 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    yep, explained the situation, showed them the box where it said it adheres to the IEEE 802.11 N wifi standards, that N usually means 2.4ghz and 5ghz but it didnt indicate that it did not do 5ghz. Even the lenovo webpage doesnt indicate this in the tech specs, it just says "CONNECTIVITY - Broadcom 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi wireless"

You can't assume that 802.11n includes support for 5 Ghz, there is a TP-Link USB wi-fi adapter which brags about 'N' support - it even includes 'N' in the product name ('300Mbps Mini Wireless N USB Adapter') and it doesn't support 5 Ghz......

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-11_TL-WN823N.html

the spec. you need to look for is 802.11ac

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

coylemj wrote: »
    You can't assume that 802.11n includes support for 5 Ghz, there is a TP-Link USB wi-fi adapter which brags about 'N' support - it even includes 'N' in the product name ('300Mbps Mini Wireless N USB Adapter') and it doesn't support 5 Ghz......

To be fair, for most people, it is a reasonable expectation. Most people would make the quite reasonable assumption that it would work, alot of regular users would just assume that a wifi device bought in Argos would work with the atypical wifi router they have at home. I imagine if I asked people whether their router was at 2.4GHz or 5GHz, they would just ignore me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

If you think about it you'l probably find that i can assume that, and i did assume that.

If my mum/dad bought that tablet they wouldnt even look at that detail. they would see "Wifi" and think "great, it will work with the wifi at home".

You have been quite a negative source on this thread, silly comments about it not mentioning it doesnt toast bread, saying assumptions cant be made.

If you cant be helpful, can you at least put some kind of flag on your posts to indicate you're a troll so people can skip by them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Should prob point out that the problem is with your router and not the tablet. Excellent customer service from Argos even though technically they didn't have to refund

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sorry but for the average person WiFi is just WiFi. Do you honestly think an ordinary Argos customer would know what the distinctions you are stating mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,459 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

a 802.11N device should support 2.5GHz and 5GHz. They are both part of the 802.11N standard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009#Comparison

Sorry but for the average person WiFi is just WiFi. Do you honestly think an ordinary Argos customer would know what the distinctions you are stating mean?

We're talking about someone who knows what he wants (support for 5 Ghz wi-fi) and who goes to the bother of checking the technical specs. on the box - hardly your 'ordinary Argos customer'.

a 802.11N device should support 2.5GHz and 5GHz. They are both part of the 802.11N standard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009#Comparison

Maybe it 'should' but TP-Link clearly don't agree. From that article you quoted, a device can comply with the 'n' standard if it supports 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz - I see a slash which means OR and not AND. Which means the OP's device (and the TP-Link USB Wi-Fi adapter I quoted above) are compliant with 'n' but with support for 2.4 Ghz only.

My point is that if you want guaranteed 5 Ghz support than you need to read 5 Ghz on the box or 802.11ac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In fairness, if we take the 'ordinary argos customer', then this tablet would suit 99% of such people as it does support WiFi. It's not faulty nor misleading in my opinion.

A minute fraction of a fraction of those customers would have their router operating in 5Ghz mode.

You can't be simultaneously an average joe soap who professes total ignorance of hardware but also have a router you've set to operate in 5ghz mode.

Not giving out to anyone but it would be very unfair to say this is an issue on the manufacturers or argos end.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not giving out to anyone but it would be very unfair to say this is an issue on the manufacturers or argos end.

I don't think anyone is saynig that though, just that thinking it would do 5GHz is a reasonable presumption based on the packaging (it did not say 2.4 or not 5) or the presumption that any wifi device bought from a large retailer will typically work off the bat with any home wifi router, even if they have some different settings as many people would either not know or if they did, presume it would cover both possibly. There would appear to be nothing wrong with the product or Argos, who seem to have done the right thing.

My wifi is going at 5GHz, mainly due to issues awhile back and googling the issue pointed me to changing it. I would not have known it was the wrong piece of equipment but I think it would be fair to say, I would have been reasonable in my assumption it would work.

Thankfully Argos have the good sense to realise being in the right and doing the right thing are sometimes exclusive, it would certainly encourage me to use them more.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

just that thinking it would do 5GHz is a reasonable presumption

It is, however, and I know this is Wikipedia but:
    802.11n is an amendment that improves upon the previous 802.11 standards by adding multiple-input multiple-output antennas (MIMO). 802.11n operates on both the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz bands. Support for 5 GHz bands is optional.

OP made an assumption that since the device is 802.11n compliant this meant it would support 5 GHz band. This assumption appears to be incorrect, basing this on Wikipedia so feel free to connect with a more reputable source.

So on this point:
    If you think about it you'l probably find that i can assume that, and i did assume that.

You can't assume that 5GHz will be supported by default.

Advertisement