Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing employer on 457 visa

Options
  • 31-10-2016 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

Hi,

As the title suggests - I've been offered a new job and the employer is willing to take over my sponsorship. The only problem I'm having is the HR contact there keeps suggesting that I need to lodge some sort of application as well as them, quoting reference numbers etc from the nomination they've lodged. This seems to contradict everything I've read online - everything suggests the employer needs to nominate me and once that's approved then I'm good to start working for the new employer after completing my notice period.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Theres three stages of 457...
    Company gets approval
    Nomination gets approval
    Employee gets approval.

You'll need to apply for your 457 once the nomination is approved even if its a transfer. I had an internal transfer within my company and has to go through all three stages again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Noo wrote: »
    Theres three stages of 457...
    Company gets approval
    Nomination gets approval
    Employee gets approval.

You'll need to apply for your 457 once the nomination is approved even if its a transfer. I had an internal transfer within my company and has to go through all three stages again.

Coming directly from the DIBP website - "If you have been granted a subclass 457 visa and you want to change your employer or occupation you
    are not required to apply for a new visa.
    However, before you can start working for a new employer or in a new occupation, you must be
    nominated by your proposed new employer and have that nomination approved first."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Well would ya look at that! Theres a few agents floating around here so hopefully they can help ya

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You can take your existing visa with you, employer just needs to be registered to sponsor and put in the nomination.

Once the nomination is approved you can start working for the new mob, the end date of your existing visa is the same as it was it doesn't reset or anything.

Sounds as if the employer is used to sponsoring from scratch. Just tell them you already have a valid visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

mandrake04 wrote: »
    You can take your existing visa with you, employer just needs to be registered to sponsor and put in the nomination.

Once the nomination is approved you can start working for the new mob, the end date of your existing visa is the same as it was it doesn't reset or anything.

Sounds as if the employer is used to sponsoring from scratch. Just tell them you already have a valid visa.

Thanks, that's what I thought too. I've told them a few times but the person I'm dealing with doesn't agree with me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement