Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent reduction subject to 24 months constraint

Options
  • 31-10-2016 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Is rent reduction still subject to the "new" 24 months rent review cycle?
    Which means if rent was set 6 months ago and landlord and tenant are willing to negotiate a slightly lower rent due to negotiating a longer fixed term of tenancy it is still not legally possible to reduce the rent set in the initial lease.
    A possible solution around the law could be for the landlord to reimburse the tenant every X months, but again I fear it could be construed as a rent review if taken to RTB and landlord made to pay a penalty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sounds to me at the end of six months that the initial tenancy is over, and hasn't turned into a Part 4. Now you're starting a new tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Sounds to me at the end of six months that the initial tenancy is over, and hasn't turned into a Part 4. Now you're starting a new tenancy.

That's not how it works.

OP, yes you can't review up or down for 24 months. In practice, the landlord can agree to a rent reduction and how will the RTB know, the tenant isn't going to complain. But they're not obliged to review the rent and I'd suggest it could get messy for them for auditing reason to do what you're proposing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

That's not how it works.

OP, yes you can't review up or down for 24 months. In practice, the landlord can agree to a rent reduction and how will the RTB know, the tenant isn't going to complain. But they're not obliged to review the rent and I'd suggest it could get messy for them for auditing reason to do what you're proposing.

I could be wrong but isn't there a requirement to update the RTB registration where there is a change in rent. This may trigger a query from the RTB that the change has occurred within 24 months. As I said I could be mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I could be wrong but isn't there a requirement to update the RTB registration where there is a change in rent. This may trigger a query from the RTB that the change has occurred within 24 months. As I said I could be mistaken.

Of course the landlord is supposed to update the register when the rent changes but likely there's no monitoring of it for compliance without a dispute being raised. I'd say there's loads of people all over the country going through rent reviews now that are not legal but neither the landlord or tenant know so they continue on as normal.

Advertisement