Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

22 Foot Speed boat: Rome to Dublin

• 31-10-2016 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi there,

I need to get a 22 foot speed boat from Rome to Dublin.

Any ideas? its a gift.........

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

That would be about a 5000 km round trip, not cheep :eek: are you sure the boat is worth it, might be worth posting here http://www.shiply.com/ to see what type of offers you get or better still take a road trip with a few mates :)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Dylan123

I was hoping for a quote for someone to tow it from the med to Ireland this Summer... or someone who would consider the ultimate road trip.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Not a hope off getting a yacht to tow it unless it's a super yacht :D If your beam is under 10 foot you could look at a shipping container but as the boat is 22 foot long you would have to get a 40 foot container. If you own the boat you might be better off selling it in Rome and buying one here.

Any idea how much a 40 foot container would cost approx.......are we talking over 3k from rome to dublin

Dylan123 wrote: »
    Any idea how much a 40 foot container would cost approx.......are we talking over 3k from rome to dublin

Yep I'd say about 3k go to one of the shipping sites and type in the addresses and they will give you a quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

Lad in dun laoghaire had a 26 foot yacht shipped up in a 40ft container few years ago for 4k.

The trip from Rome to the ferry in France pulling yourself would be 2 days plus tolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

What else can you fit in the container to offset the cost?

A lot of companies do shared containers so say like someone was moving house from Rome to Ireland they would take up the extra space and split the price, you might even get it shared with my new ferrari that I'm getting shipped over :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

What else can you fit in the container to offset the cost?

Olive oil, wine, marble, illegal migrants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Just make sure it's not in a container returning after a fish delivery!

• Advertisement

Such a pity it doesnt have a trailor with it in Rome.... i got a bite asking about the trailor on www.shiply.com but then no response when i said the trailor was in ireland..

Thats a shame it's not on a trailer as a lot of trucks that use shiply are coming with their load not taking up the whole trailer so they make a few quid by picking up whatever they can fit on the empty space I got one shipped with a load of tractors, without a trailer you would need a truck with a lifting boom. Any chance you could post a photo of the boat, just out of interest :)

DSC00584.jpg

Does shiply.com guarantee consumer protection?

They are out to make an extra few quid out of doing this so feedback is very important to them they are not out to rip you off also shiply know where they live so it's not like they can't be traced and if they say they are insured I would believe them as there is no way they would be traveling across Europe without it, if you still feel unsure maybe you could take out your own insurance for the trip to be sure to be sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jocmilt

Hi there,

I need to get a 22 foot speed boat from Rome to Dublin.

Any ideas? its a gift.........

Tow it out into the Med and the Irish Navy will drop the lot off in Cobh for ya:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Does shiply.com guarantee consumer protection?
    A guarantee from an entitity guaranteeing its own performance isn't worth the paper it is written on. You have EU consumer rights protection, but it is usually futile to try to enforce them. Also, you have yet to inform us of the value or type of boat that would make this an economic proposition......

In terms of a boat without a trailor. Can a 22 foot cabin boat be strapped to an articulated lorry and hurled across Europe?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Yes, but it needs to be sitting on something like a trailer or a cradle. If you strapped it to a flat bed truck or trailor it would knacker the hull and probably warp the boat. This gift sounds like a poison chalice.

Advertisement