Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use UK consumer unit?

Options
  • 31-10-2016 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Got a few bargain buys in the UK before coming over to start our new build one being a consumer unit. I notice screwfix don't sell the same unit over here, does it not comply with Irish regulations? It is a split load, 100amp switch and 30amp RCD with 8 MCBs of various ampages and 2 RCBOs.
    Thanks for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Most of the bits would be OK. Usually the main incomer here is say 80amps at the ESB side and fused down to 55 amps in the consumer units so 100 amp main incomer would need to be changed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

There are likely to be a number of other problems. The switch will be double pole rather than single pole, also it is not a switch fuse it is simply a switch disconnector. It will also be unsuitable for double pole RCBOs. I very much doubt that there would be any merit in trying to buy one and mod it to suit. It would make much more sense simply to purchase the correct unit in the first place.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Offgridcoe wrote: »
    Got a few bargain buys in the UK before coming over to start our new build one being a consumer unit. I notice screwfix don't sell the same unit over here, does it not comply with Irish regulations? It is a split load, 100amp switch and 30amp RCD with 8 MCBs of various ampages and 2 RCBOs.
    Thanks for any replies

Have you a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Mrplod

I would agree that there are some differences. One other thing to watch for is the RCD types. An AC type is still being used in the U.K. Where the A type is being used here. For all the savings it's probably not worth it

Advertisement