Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

extension example & Q's, single or two storey

Options
  • 31-10-2016 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi all,

We're looking to build an extension to side of our house. Where there is currently a detached garage (4ft from house wall). We were thinking instead of knocking garage, to use the garage walls within the extension.

Existing house Id be looking at extending out the existing sitting room to the existing garage wall(make sitting room bigger). Then extend garage out to front to be in line with the front of house, extension will be wider at front of house as won't be extending the front sitting room of house so the extension will go out sideways against the front sitting room. Measuring the extension(excluding the wash room at back) it is 493sq ft.

See simple plans I done (one highlighting existing house and garage and the other image how it might look finished)
    The extension would be the room with the pool table(in pic) and the bedroom behind it (the outline in red is the current existing garage)

http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/martynw76/media/dog%20run%20build%20and%20garden/extension%20to%20house%20copy_zpsab6pohdz.jpg.html

http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/martynw76/media/dog%20run%20build%20and%20garden/extension%20finished%20design_zps5sx4bygs.jpg.html

Below price I put in is just a rough idea from other threads on here(€1000 - 1500 per sq mtr) and is the lower end of the scale. But does €1000 per sq mtr seem a possibility for Co. Galway (east side), maybe less? more?

Some Q's
    • Taking a rough(lower) price of €1000 SQ MTR, the ground floor only extension cost could be approx 50K, how much more(% of current cost or €'s on top of the 50K) approx would be needed to go up a storey to have a 1st floor?
    • Is my idea of using existing garage walls a good feasible idea? Garage is made from Cavity Blocks (garage walls would need to be enforced to be same as house walls)
    • Would it be a cheaper option to use existing garage than knocking the whole garage?
    • The distance between proposed extension/current existing garage and neighbours boundary is 5ft. Is this distance inline with regulations?

I know I'll need to get planning permission and all this is fairly rough without seeing the house etc but it seems like a straight forward extension to me and hope the amature design I added is of help.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No builder worth their salt will build using existing garage walls. The foundations most likely will. It be sufficient for 2 storey and for a builder to stand over the job, he won't want to even do a single storey using them unless an engineer is willing to stand over them also.

Your engineer will make the decision on whether the garage walls can remain or not and in my experience, they always come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭4th horsemen

That fairly answers that question then, cheers

What bout the other q's, price going 2 storey compared to single storey?
    distance of proposed extension to boundary line, 5 ft enough?

That fairly answers that question then, cheers

What bout the other q's, price going 2 storey compared to single storey?
    distance of proposed extension to boundary line, 5 ft enough?

What does your planning give permission for?
    I think a better design for the WC and the narrow kitchen / dining room could be achieved.

Edit : just seen that you are aware of your planning requirements so in that regards I'd let my agent dictate with local knowledge of how far from the boundary to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭4th horsemen

kceire wrote: »
    What does your planning give permission for?
    I think a better design for the WC and the narrow kitchen / dining room could be achieved.

Edit : just seen that you are aware of your planning requirements so in that regards I'd let my agent dictate with local knowledge of how far from the boundary to stay.

Note that the design is me roughly drawing the current existing (since 1998) house layout(not to scale) and doesn't do it justice as to what it actually looks like inside! the house is not going to be touched as it is fine the way it is.
    The toilet has been there since the house was built in 1998 and the utility is right behind it with the backdoor.

The extension is the only thing, hopefully, getting done. And possibly the existing sitting room extending out towards the planned extension.
    Thought the boundary distance thing was a set standard distance, If not then yeah I'll need to let engineer etc find that out.

I have not even looked at planning yet but know I will need it due to the size and it being on side of house. This extension is in the "I'd love to get it done" stages.

Price of single storey v 2 storey? is it priced much higher to go up a storey?

I would still budget 1500 per square meter over the whole extension and that will give you a beer mat calculation that will make you think about whether you need to tone it down or can go ahead and start planning to get prices.

I'm doing one now in north Dublin. 36 sq. m over 2 storey. €62k painted and ready for the client to floor and kitchen it (granny flat to side). That also involved removing the existing garage right down to foundation level, pouring new deeper foundations etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement