Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas films and TV shows: As they happen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

For anyone that doesn't have the DVD, sky movies or Netflix, Scrooged is on E4 this Sunday at 1.30pm this is my absolute favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Loughc wrote: »
    For anyone that doesn't have the DVD, sky movies or Netflix, Scrooged is on E4 this Sunday at 1.30pm this is my absolute favourite.

All these Christmas films are on when I'm out. :( There's something magical about watching a Christmas movie on TV rather than on a DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I'm loving Christmas 24, I've watched so many films now and they are recent films too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I don't know why it feels like a Christmas movie, but watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off last night and it was great :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Loughc wrote:
    Channel 4 announced their lineup for Christmas and its underwhelming to say the least;

Where are the movies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Thought sky bought all the Christmas movies :(

The only decent Christmas movie sky has is home alone 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

They showed Bad Santa during the week on Sky Christmas :D

There's a horrifically bad film on Sony at the moment called The Christmas Wife.

Miracle on 34th Street is on at 2.25 on Sony.

Xmas Gold has White Christmas on later and a bunch of Christmas specials.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

kitten_k wrote: »
    Yes be a rebel Vojera!

I remember the first time I watched it as a child. I woke up screaming that night that there was a gremlin under my bed! Still get slagged about it to this day! It was bunk beds so now I say I wasn't too wrong as my sister L was under my bed!

They still creep me out and I don't scare easily at all. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

Gold on Sky has changed to ChristmasGold. The Royal Family Christmas Special (Joe's Crackers) tonight at 10.00.

Gold on Sky has changed to ChristmasGold. The Royal Family Christmas Special (Joe's Crackers) tonight at 10.00.

I actually really enjoy gold at Christmas time! Love the office, Royle Family and Gavin & Stacey Christmas specials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Scrooged on E4, starts again at 2.30 on +1

Best Christmas movie ever!!! Hasn't aged in almost 30yrs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

Cherrycola wrote: »

Bill Murray is just brilliant in it. Remember goin to the cinema as a kid to see it. Got a badge saying "I got Scrooged"

We're after watching nightmare before Christmas and now on peppa pig Christmas. The only one I'll watch:D

Completely agree! It's a timeless classic. Bill Murray at his best.

MTV Xmas and VH1 Xmas are now live on sky channels 356 and 357.

Now Christmas is also live on channel 378.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I'm so ashamed, I only saw that in full for the first time last Christmas :o

Vojera wrote: »

I only saw it for the first time last year too. Tbh I'd never heard of it until I read about it in this forum. I was 3 when it was released so I probably wasn't the target audience!

Where have you been living???!!! Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Where have you been living???!!! Lol
    I dunno! I have no recollection of it ever being on the telly when I was younger and then I think two years ago E4 showed it a few times and I caught bits of it. Last year my (clearly more sensible) other half bought it and sat me down specifically to watch it. Her reaction was a bit like yours :pac:

• Advertisement

I only saw it for the first time last year too. Tbh I'd never heard of it until I read about it in this forum. I was 3 when it was released so I probably wasn't the target audience!
    Ah yeah, you probably didn't grow up in two channel land like me, our viewing choices at Christmas were limited!

Vojera wrote:
    I'm so ashamed, I only saw that in full for the first time last Christmas

Don't be.
    I only found out about that movie last year, too and was determined to watch it.
    It quickly became one of my Christmas favourites!

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

Scrooged was always on RTÉ late on Christmas Eve. I remember watching it several years after arriving home from midnight mass (when it was actually on at midnight).

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

What films and TV shows are you hoping to see on the box this year?

Obviously Sky Cinema subscribers will see most films but that would ruin it for me if I'm honest. I like searching for what Christmas films are on the regular stations. It's always very exciting to see one of your favourites scheduled. Having a 1000+ films on demand through Sky Cinema wouldn't be the same.

Scrooged and Home Alone have already been on so that's two favourites already ticked off the list.

Other films I'd like to see are;

Surviving Christmas
    Elf
    Christmas with the Kranks
    Muppets Christmas Carol
    Bad Santa
    The Grinch
    Die Hard (yes it's a Christmas film)
    Home Alone 2

Christmas TV specials I'd like to see include;

The Royle Family
    Gavin & Stacey
    Father Ted
    Peep Show
    The Office

I always watch The Den Christmas Crisis on YouTube for a bit of nostalgia. Postman Patrick is up there with Harry & Marv and Hans Gruber when it comes to Christmas villians.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I've never seen it!

Posy wrote: »
    I've never seen it!

WHHHHHHHHHHHHATTTTTTTTTTTTT

It amazing!! Please watch it this year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It's on Netflix so I definitely will!! :D

SteJer, I know what you mean.
    It's definitely exciting to see proper Christmas movies on TV and actually sit down and watch them when they're scheduled.

I like most of the ones you've mentioned.
    I have Christmas With The Kranks on DVD but would love to see it on the telly.
    It's a perfect festive Sunday pick-me-up!

Same goes for Home Alone.
    I always try to watch it when it's on. Will never get tired of that.

Another one I always associate with watching it on the telly during Christmas season is Edward Scissorhands.
    Not many people actually do, I think, but I remember watching it when I was a kid and I have loved it ever since!

As for the specials, I'm thinking Michael Buble?
    Does any of you elves like him? I would never in a million years listen to him during the year, but come holidays, I don't know, I just like those Christmas specials of his.
    Also, cooking shows.
    I'm not big on cooking by far but love to watch all kinds of Christmas cooking shows coming up to Christmas.
    They're usually really good, full of recipes and hints and tips. And even if you weren't to cook most of the food they do, it gets you really, really excited!
    Which reminds me, now I'm craving mince pies.
    I still haven't had one this year. Ah, I can't believe it, I'm being so good I'll probably end up stuffing myself at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

As for the specials, I'm thinking Michael Buble? Does any of you elves like him? I would never in a million years listen to him during the year, but come holidays, I don't know, I just like those Christmas specials of his.

I'm the same. Although I don't think there'll be one from him this year unless it's a repeat or was pre-recorded as he's taking a break from music due to his child being ill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Posy wrote: »
    I've never seen it!

I've never seen it either!

Advertisement