Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for oak half barrels planters

Options
  • 31-10-2016 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi.
    I have purchased 20 oak half barrels (100 litre capacity) for a large concrete area at the rear of an apartment complex & would like some suggestions of what plants/trees would be suitable - its quite an exposed area so need something that will survive the winter - preferably something with a little colour

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

The best container growing displays I have seen are ones that are well looked after and different plants are put in at different stages. There are different container plants that look good at various times of the year. I would not be the best to ask about which ones to choose but it's very much dependent on personal taste.

Make sure there is some drainage from the barrels as you will loose your plants if they fill with rain water and the roots drown.

If I was planting the situation you describe I would plant a mixture of bay leaf and japanese acer (which have a number of colourful varieties) in the centre of the containers and put some bulbs and smaller flowers around the edges.

Advertisement