Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is ready for pheasant season?

• 31-10-2016 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Who's excited and ready for the pheasant season! Is there many pheasants ducks around ye?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭sniperman

all ready,counting the hours,know where there are a few cocks,hope they will be there in the mourning,very few ducks around,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭nigelm485

Yup yup all ready was our the last 3 days with the dog I think numbers are way Down this year in my spots anyway. Tell me this do ye go out at first light or wait a while. Some Lads wait and say they won't be down off roost . What ye think

out first light,with my mates,the minute we can see,that does us,some years gone by,rose one on the first ditch we tried,but that was then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

nigelm485 wrote:
    Yup yup all ready was our the last 3 days with the dog I think numbers are way Down this year in my spots anyway. Tell me this do ye go out at first light or wait a while. Some Lads wait and say they won't be down off roost . What ye think

Out at first light.....but to listen as they come off the roost.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Crow Pigeon and Pheasant

Know there are a few pheasants around! A few duck on our river aswell! Not sure if I'd shoot them though! I have to wait for awhile as one of the guys comes from a bit of a distance so it'll be about 10 or so before I'm out! Do ye stay out all day?

• Advertisement

Know there are a few pheasants around! A few duck on our river aswell! Not sure if I'd shoot them though! I have to wait for awhile as one of the guys comes from a bit of a distance so it'll be about 10 or so before I'm out! Do ye stay out all day?

Break it up with a large breakfast...out till around 3

Break it up with a large breakfast...out till around 3

Ah right we usually stay out most of the day broke up with lunch or dinner a good breakfast in the morning before we start!

What sort of dogs do ye have?

What sort of dogs do ye have?

Springer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭nigelm485

Ya I think there's a few lads all aiming for a maize field so early bird gets the bird. Our all day bar quick pub dinner. Springer too.

• Advertisement

nigelm485 wrote: »
    Ya I think there's a few lads all aiming for a maize field so early bird gets the bird. Our all day bar quick pub dinner. Springer too.

I'm lucky that there isn't too many lads around me so its rare ill meet anyone in the fields. Neighbour and myself will do the hunting around a few farms, i mostly shoot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Do ye eat the pheasants? Not much meat on them.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Do ye eat the pheasants? Not much meat on them.

skin them and Pull the breasts and the legs..

Sounds good I have a lab x not too many lads shooting around us! Plenty of food for the birds though!

skin them and Pull the breasts and the legs..

We usually cook them whole!

Anyone got much since the 1st?

9 so far,getting out again this weekend:D

Every Sunday since first..have 6 got. Might back off with the weather getting hard and just put our some wheat. Will see weather tomorrow.

sniperman wrote:
    9 so far,getting out again this weekend

Are you shooting where ye have released pheasants?

Every Sunday since first..have 6 got. Might back off with the weather getting hard and just put our some wheat. Will see weather tomorrow.

You don't seem to be doing so bad! Do ye release pheasants?

• Advertisement

I got 2 since the first but I don't really want to shoot that many as I depend on the wild ones breeding as I don't release any!

Are you shooting where ye have released pheasants?

no,just going round on my permissions

sniperman wrote:
    no,just going round on my permissions

Ah right! Fair play! I don't want to shoot them all off the land that I have permission on! I saw three the other day shot one left the others as I had to find the fella I shot! I find that it's not about the size bag ye get often it's the craic ye have!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Went out Sunday with a friend and used him as my dog basically. Spotted 3 cocks in the ditch so I went one side and him the other and two flushed his side and one my side so I dropped him. Big breast but feck all tail
    IMG_0555_zpspgmmie1z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

Went out Sunday with a friend and used him as my dog basically.....

... have you him trained on the whistle, out of curiosity ? ;):D

Congrats on the bird. While a long tail might have been nice, we don't eat the tail when all is said and done... hope you enjoyed him :)

Thanks,

G.

garrettod wrote: »
    ... have you him trained on the whistle, out of curiosity ? ;):D

Congrats on the bird. While a long tail might have been nice, we don't eat the tail when all is said and done... hope you enjoyed him :)

Well he's a big ****er so he just bursts through the ditches ha
    Not gonna eat the pheasant till Xmas day. Be nice to have a variety. Seen some snipe in field aswell so gonna try get a few of them aswell for Xmas day.

Went out Sunday with a friend and used him as my dog basically. Spotted 3 cocks in the ditch so I went one side and him the other and two flushed his side and one my side so I dropped him. Big breast but feck all tail

Yeah pity about the tail but nice bird! Nice dog as well!

Well he's a big ****er so he just bursts through the ditches ha Not gonna eat the pheasant till Xmas day. Be nice to have a variety. Seen some snipe in field aswell so gonna try get a few of them aswell for Xmas day.

Yeah! I could shoot mallard, teal or snipe but my family wouldn't approve really so I'll just stick to pigeons and might try get a pheasant for Christmas!

Yeah! I could shoot mallard, teal or snipe but my family wouldn't approve really so I'll just stick to pigeons and might try get a pheasant for Christmas!

Feck all crop farmers out my way but there's a lot of roosting areas so dusk is best to hit pigeons but the trees are on edge of my permission and it leads into a priests college and they have given out before even when I'm shooting in field beside their grounds on my own permission.

• Advertisement

Feck all crop farmers out my way but there's a lot of roosting areas so dusk is best to hit pigeons but the trees are on edge of my permission and it leads into a priests college and they have given out before even when I'm shooting in field beside their grounds on my own permission.

Yeah that's annoying when you're on yer own permission! Plenty of crops around us but they don't decoys very well unless you sit under a sitty tree! There is loads of pigeons and crows around! I'll just have to wait and try get a bit of time to go out! Might put a few decoys out and try under a sitty tree!

Advertisement