Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac virgin with teething questions....?

• 31-10-2016 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

I'm typing this on my new MacBook Pro, and I have to say that it's a thing of beauty. (The first I've ever owned)

My main concern is trying to install software.

I have downloaded Hasselblad Phocus and Hasselblad FlexColor.

I have also downloaded two pieces of Canon software.

Of the 4, I have only succeeded in installing one. (one of the Canon's)

Take Phocus:

When I click on the Downloads folder and choose "Open in Finder", I can see all the downloads.

Now, if I double-click (I'm using a mouse) on Phocus, nothing happens - it's already in the Applications folder, coz I was asked to drag it there. But, when I go there and click on it, it bounces up and down at the bottom of the screen, but nothing else happens.

When I click FlexColor in the Finder, nothing whatsoever happens.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Are other apps opening okay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Are other apps opening okay?

Sorted.

I had to change the security preferences to allow me to install from this provider.

Cannot get over the speed of this thing.

It screams!

Less the VAT is has cost me 1097. A bargain.

Will make my life a lot easier.

Thanks for the reply.

No doubt I'll have other questions! :D

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

How can I make a program's icon appear in the tray at the bottom of the screen?

Can I then make it open with a single click of the mouse, as with Windows?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Dinarius wrote: »
    How can I make a program's icon appear in the tray at the bottom of the screen?

Can I then make it open with a single click of the mouse, as with Windows?

Thanks.

D.

Open it, right click the icon and choose Keep In Dock.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You can launch apps using a single click using Launchpad (which should be the first or second app in the Dock). It's like the home screen on an iOS device. While in Launchpad, you can also drag icons to the Dock.

• Advertisement
Advertisement