Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good pizza and Indian in the city?

Options
  • 31-10-2016 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

Hey Peps, where in Galway city has the best pizza, wood fired of course. I'll be down there next weekend, also any good Indians

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Hey Peps, where in Galway city has the best pizza, wood fired of course. I'll be down there next weekend, also any good Indians

I hear dough bros is excellent

http://www.thedoughbros.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Dough Bros on corner of middle and abbeygate street is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Dough Bros by an absolute country mile.

Eastern Tandoori is my favourite Indian. The service is always slow but the food is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Napolis pizza is savage, best in town IMO. Dough Bro's and Wooza are good too.

A lil bit outside the main streets but Lunchtime in Liosbaun Ind estate has amazing pizzas as well.

Galway is blessed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Anyone try the new pizza counter in Joyces? Apparently the guys starting it up are from Rome so have the cred. No bake at home option tho.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'm quite fond of Wooza (that's relocated recently from sea road i think) I also like Vinnies where Four Star used to be on Munster Avenue

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Dough Bros, Wooza is decent, Pizza/Pasta Napoli also a worthy contender.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Tilikum wrote: »
    I hear dough bros is excellent

http://www.thedoughbros.ie/

Yes, I agree. Nothing better in Galway by a Country mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Have yet to try Wooza, menu looks great though. But Dough Bros is undeniably excellent...that Chicken Caesar pizza is just the business altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Pizza beauty is, imo, in the mouth of the beholder :)

For me, nothing compares with Pizza Napoli, I ran a mile from Vinnies (sauce very sweet and tasted like dolmio, but each to their own), and I hear lots of praise for Dough bros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is no "best", there is only "what I like"
    I personally like Napoli pizza (not woodfire) on Cross street and Tulsi on Augistine street

McGinns on Woodquay have woodfire pizzas www.mcginnshophouse.com

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭pemtca

Dough Bros best by a long way. I haven't had better, even in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

2 star michelin chef tweeted this week that Dough Bros was best pizza outside of Naples! Guess thats a pretty good recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Seen the title of this thread and thought someone was looking for a curry pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

flazio wrote: »
    Seen the title of this thread and thought someone was looking for a curry pizza.

Dough Bros do a tandoori pizza. Damn fine it is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Dough Bro's in my opinion used to be fabulous. Loved them but now they are even more aptly named. Dough, lots of it and short on toppings. I had the Hail Caeser recently and it honestly had 6 teeny tiny pieces of chicken on it. Not what they used to be. But, Papa Rich in Woodquay, down by McSwiggans is amazing for Asian street food. It is fabulous and so reasonable. All a matter of personal taste I know but they're my thoughts!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Tried Dough Bros twice I think, each time not that bothered - for me (and if you're willing to travel), Pizza Dozzina in Barna is the biz...regularly make a 1.5hr round trip for it (I may have a problem)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

Dough Bro's in my opinion used to be fabulous. Loved them but now they are even more aptly named. Dough, lots of it and short on toppings. I had the Hail Caeser recently and it honestly had 6 teeny tiny pieces of chicken on it. Not what they used to be. But, Papa Rich in Woodquay, down by McSwiggans is amazing for Asian street food. It is fabulous and so reasonable. All a matter of personal taste I know but they're my thoughts!

My sentiments exactly and I have noticed that since they moved to the new location on middle street, disappointing considering how much I liked it when they started up first. I don't think I will go back until they start being more decent with toppings

lampsie wrote: »
    Tried Dough Bros twice I think, each time not that bothered - for me (and if you're willing to travel), Pizza Dozzina in Barna is the biz...regularly make a 1.5hr round trip for it (I may have a problem)

The twelve do decent pizzas out that side as well. Remember they'd a huge selection as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Pizza Dozzina is in the Twelve. I have to agree, lovely pizzas! However, AFAIK the pizza oven is gasfired.
    I don't care, but the OP might ;)

• Advertisement

Pizza Dozzina is in the Twelve. I have to agree, lovely pizzas! However, AFAIK the pizza oven is gasfired.
    I don't care, but the OP might ;)

Ah I didn't realize the name relation. Good choice tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Pizza Dozzina does stone oven baked pizza... Apparently the stone was sourced from the base of Mount Vesuvius. Don't know how true that is though.

Dough Bros gets a massive vote from me. I've been a big fan of theirs for years, and the owners and staff are really brilliant. I know they'd definitely appreciate the feedback if people think the standards are slipping.

For Indian, I really like Tulsi on Buttermilk Walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Hey Peps,

Ended up having wood fired Pizza in McGinns in woodquay (I was staying in an apartment over the pub).

Nice little find, Pizza was great and they had a good selection of craft beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Anyone try the new pizza counter in Joyces? Apparently the guys starting it up are from Rome so have the cred. No bake at home option tho.

To answer my own question I tried this at the weekend. Really, really nice! it was the weekend so they were in full swing and had maybe 6 varieties. They slice it up however you like it (whole, half, by the slice, little bit bigger, little bit smaller). Not sure if sold by weight or what. I got what I consider 4 normal slices for €4.50. They warm it up in the oven or just take it away and do the same at home. Pretty nice addition, unlike the all you can stuff in a takeaway box Chinese food they introduced during the summer... scary stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

To answer my own question I tried this at the weekend. Really, really nice! it was the weekend so they were in full swing and had maybe 6 varieties. They slice it up however you like it (whole, half, by the slice, little bit bigger, little bit smaller). Not sure if sold by weight or what. I got what I consider 4 normal slices for €4.50. They warm it up in the oven or just take it away and do the same at home. Pretty nice addition, unlike the all you can stuff in a takeaway box Chinese food they introduced during the summer... scary stuff!

I really liked it as well. They do a thin crispy base, which personally I prefer. The tomatoe sauce is a better flavour than dough bros or Woozza IMO. Choice of toppings is really good including lots of veg options.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The thread title just makes me want an Indian pizza.

It's also reminded me that I forgot to take the turkey out of the freezer for tonight's dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A load of Wooza pizza got delivered to work today and it is absolutely fantastic - not even sure what I was eating (it was sort of a pizza 'sandwich' so not sure what the filling was), but it was incredibly tasty and I'll definitely be in there in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Unfortunatly no good Indian in Galway.
    Dough bros is fab though

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Dellboy54

Wooza's Meat supreme pizza cannot be beat.....Genuinely.....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

If anything try making your own pizza. Very easy and taste a whole lot better. You dont need a open fire/ pizza oven to do it. Same oven you cooked your froozen one. Just make sure its hot.
    All about the base, sauce and mozzarella l. Prices can be marked up in restaurants because of the toppings.

Frozen pizzas always say cook from frozen on the packeging because the dough is not fresh.

I was a chef for a long time so i jumped on...find the reciepe you want..cook it.... gurantee you will not go back.

Advertisement