Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good pizza and Indian in the city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

AidoEirE wrote: »
    If anything try making your own pizza. Very easy and taste a whole lot better. You dont need a open fire/ pizza oven to do it. Same oven you cooked your froozen one. Just make sure its hot.
    All about the base, sauce and mozzarella l. Prices can be marked up in restaurants because of the toppings.

Frozen pizzas always say cook from frozen on the packeging because the dough is not fresh.

I was a chef for a long time so i jumped on...find the reciepe you want..cook it.... gurantee you will not go back.

Sounds good, what would be your favorite recipe? I love pizza - primarily double cheese and pepperoni - and a pan style base (although I can enjoy the thin as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Larry58

Dough Bros is excelent, Milano's is also very good, for indian food my fav is Eastern
    Tandoori

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Had Dough Bros the last time I was home, which was last June. I wasn't all that gone but there was a lot of hype which can skew perception. I suppose for a place that didn't have much wood fired pizza when I left, it's good that they now have options. I preferred Ed's NY Pizza when it was there. Pizza Napoli is damn good too. Bistro Bianconi's out in Westside was amazing.

The comments that it's better than in Italy doesn't say much as pizza there is generally muck.

It's one of the few things that America took and mastered, in my opinion and it will be rare enough that I'd say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Had Dough Bros the last time I was home, which was last June. I wasn't all that gone but there was a lot of hype which can skew perception. I suppose for a place that didn't have much wood fired pizza when I left, it's good that they now have options. I preferred Ed's NY Pizza when it was there. Pizza Napoli is damn good too. Bistro Bianconi's out in Westside was amazing.

The comments that it's better than in Italy doesn't say much as pizza there is generally muck.

It's one of the few things that America took and mastered, in my opinion and it will be rare enough that I'd say that.

I'm guessing you've never been to Naples then.

I'm guessing you've never been to Naples then.

No, just Rome and Florence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭_Puma_

I find they are fairly measly in Dough Bros with the toppings, especially meat toppings. Have tried Wooza a couple of times, who do wood fired pizza too, and their base is just as good with generous helpings of toppings.

Eastern Tandoori for the Indian.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

Wooza are a little too generous with the toppings. I know that's not possible for some folk, but the last wooza pizza I got was so loaded it was a bit of a greasy mess.

I'm not a fan of Easter Tan. It's the nicest/comfiest restaurant inside but the food in Kashmir and Tulsi is miles better IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Wooza are a little too generous with the toppings. I know that's not possible for some folk, but the last wooza pizza I got was so loaded it was a bit of a greasy mess.

I've had Wooza a couple of times and this is my exact complaint. They load on so many toppings that the pizza becomes a soggy mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

i would prefer too much than too little.
    if you get more than what you want just pick them off

Laviski wrote: »
    i would prefer too much than too little.
    if you get more than what you want just pick them off

The grease laden box has always been an issue when I've gotten theirs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭b4bmm

Best Indian I have had in Galway is Santoor in Oranmore. That was a while ago I presume it's still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

have been into both wooza and db,prefer wooza, meat supreme is fantastic,always get a few chillies thrown on too... and the nutella/banana pizza dessert ...drool ..nice treat every once n a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 LegalLaaaaady

My favourite Indian in Galway is Tulsi (hidden gem behind Shop St).. It's the best Indian in town in my opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Dellboy54

I have to agree, prefer more toppings on a pizza than to be skimpy with them......Maybe Goodfellas pizza's could take a few pointers from Wooza :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Imallrightjack

Hey Peps,

Ended up having wood fired Pizza in McGinns in woodquay (I was staying in an apartment over the pub).

Nice little find, Pizza was great and they had a good selection of craft beer.

Sorry for going off topic but isnt it peeps?and not peps.what are peps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Not a popular opinion, but Dough Bros is very overrated.

djPSB wrote: »
    Not a popular opinion, but Dough Bros is very overrated.
    It really isn't, but do elaborate, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ggg16

b4bmm wrote: »
    Best Indian I have had in Galway is Santoor in Oranmore. That was a while ago I presume it's still open.

To die for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Dough Bros is good but it's not *that good*, they have marketed themselves well and made a good business out of it but it's nothing to rave about IMO.

Eastern Tandoori the best of a pretty mediocre bunch of Indians in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

Spiced Indian in barna gets my vote. Delicious and very reasonable considering portion sizes

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Is fat freddies still going? Had some great pizza there in the past.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Is fat freddies still going? Had some great pizza there in the past.
    Closer to Goodfellas than a good pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Dough Bros is good but it's not *that good*, they have marketed themselves well and made a good business out of it but it's nothing to rave about IMO.

That sums it up pretty nicely.

Has anyone tried the Indian in Lauren Park, Curry & Spice? Have heard good things about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

I'm a huge dough bros fan - in there waaay too often! I had fat Freddy's recently and I wasn't impressed at all. Don't know if they have gone downhill because I used to love it or if I'm spoiled by dough bros. For a greasy delicious and cheep pizza you can't beat pizza Napoli

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

My favourite wood-fired pizzas are Dough Bro's, Wooza and McGinn's.

Favourite non-wood-fired pizzas are Pizza Pasta & Napoli, Pizza Dozzina (The Twelve Hotel), Pizza M (Joyce's), and Milano.

I've never tried Lunchtime on the Tuam road but I've heard good things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

This I agree with. Dough Bros marketing is clever.

Their pizza is good but I've had better. It's not a 10/10. I find the toppings quite scarce, not much cheese, veg, meat etc.

Might be spoiled with the good pizza over in the US but I really didn't like Dough Bros. Unlike others, I didn't think it was even good.
    The Napoli place down in Cross St is a bit better but it seems the quality there took a dip too.
    For me, the nicest pizza I have had in Galway was Ed's NY Pizza and Bistro Bianconi. Unfortunately both closed down a long time ago.
    I was excited to try the place in Kinvara. Heard a lot of people rave about it and was really disappointed by that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭skinny90

Huge doughbros fan...monroes tho is unreal but on a different level

• Advertisement

Monroes is probably the best I can think of in the city now too. But maybe Fat Freddys?

Advertisement