Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volt Motorcycles - where is my electric motorbike?

• 31-10-2016 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

I heard of this "Irish Manufactured" motorcycle a couple of years ago.

They were at the Irish Motorbike and Scooter Show 2015 (YouTube at about 20 seconds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38x12qFl7ec) with the Volt 220 model, and the website has a number of others.

http://voltmotorcycles.com/

Now I'm assuming that the actual bikes were supposed to be just assembled here from a kit from Taiwan etc.

Having lived in asia I've seen how useful mid - high power electric two wheelers can be and was looking forward to picking one up here. Nobody seems to sell them though, until Volt.

They seem to have made a big splash and then nothing. Not a peep from them in the last year.

Anyone got the latest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

No traction?

I would have though electric motorcycles would be a pretty hot topic.
    Perhaps that's where myself and Volt were wrong! :-p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

did you buy one or are you lookig at buying one ?? no activity on that page or facebook in 12 months i'd say it looks dead in the water

Design is a priority for Darby, who has designed Volt s 220 model to resemble a high-end racing bike, for example, with a top speed of 100kph, and a standard range of 120km per single charge. I would describe the range as exciting and sexy , that s what people respond to, he said. If you walk into a computer store and you look at various laptops, you would generally go through the spec for each model. When you re choosing one model over another, and you find that both will basically do what you need them to, it s really your emotions that will influence your final decision. That s why people will buy one car over another, or an Apple iPhone over another product.
    The design the look and the feel makes it something you want.

100KM/hour :) you; be better of with an ebay electtic bicycle conversion, #all show no go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

140kg!

I bet the range is abysmal at 100kph. If you can't go fast or far then its use is limited to places where an e-bike is faster due to narrow width.

A 50kph, <40kg, ~80km e-bike would be more appealing to me. At 50kph you can fall off without needing protective gear, and that speed is enough for everything up to national roads, making for an easy 30km/45 min each way commute without range anxiety.

Basically: take a normal bicycle and make it go twice as fast with no effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,683 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

CRO shows them as still trading as of Sept 1st last
    Type Business name - Body Corporate
    Number 524933
    Name VOLT MOTORCYCLES
    Address MOYNE PARK
    OLD DUBLIN ROAD
    ENNISCORTHY
    CO. WEXFORD
    Registered 01/09/2014
    Status Normal

Effective Date 01/09/2014

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

The best electric motorbikes at the moment appear to be Zero motorcycles - http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

Decent range and speed for city/suburban driving. I think they have a UK distributor, but buying from Germany might be the easiest option, if you were really serious about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement