Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocking premium rate sms

Options
  • 31-10-2016 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

I have an eir bundle with efibre, phone, eir tv and 5 mobiles.

Recently the youngest ran up a bill of 120 euro by texting a premium rate sms (57848).  She didn't realise there was a charge and the original text message was unsolicited asking her to use the service, did not advise anywhere of the charges (3 euro per text).  When I got the bill of course I send STOP to this number.

What I'd like to know is if there is a way to block premium sms no's.  I expect not as the networks get their cut.

Also, the fact this text was unsolicited and did not advise there was a charge is out of order.  Do I have any comeback here.  I have contacted the service provider themselves requesting a refund.  They are based out of Australia.  Is there anything Eir can do to help ?

I can PM my account details and the mobile number details.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭eir: Stacey

Flaccus wrote: »

Recently the youngest ran up a bill of 120 euro by texting a premium rate sms (57848).  She didn't realise there was a charge and the original text message was unsolicited asking her to use the service, did not advise anywhere of the charges (3 euro per text).  When I got the bill of course I send STOP to this number.

What I'd like to know is if there is a way to block premium sms no's.  I expect not as the networks get their cut.

Also, the fact this text was unsolicited and did not advise there was a charge is out of order.  Do I have any comeback here.  I have contacted the service provider themselves requesting a refund.  They are based out of Australia.  Is there anything Eir can do to help ?

Thanks
    Hi Flaccus,

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm very sorry to hear this. I'm afraid there is no option on our end to block this. You would need to text STOP to the number to opt out & avoid further charges. Unfortunately, we would be unable to waive any fee's incurred from here. You will need to query this directly with the company. Apologies we can't offer better news or assit furtehr on this matter from here. - Stacey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Thanks

This might help.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/telecommunications_and_postal_services/regulation_of_premium_rate_telephone_services.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

If they didn't list any charge in the initial soliciting text message then it violates the basic law of contract, so the charge isn't valid. Also, if your youngest isn't 18 then they are not legally allowed to enter into contracts for anything other than basic necessities. So that's two legal grounds on which the charges are invalid.

I don't know what the Eir contract says in regards to these premium numbers. It is possible (likely) that they say any deal you enter with these third parties is your business and that you authorise them to bill you for such charges, in which case your issue is with the scumbag company in question. You should definitely lodge a complaint against these clowns regardless.

Either way it is absurd that Eir would not allow you to disable such premium services as a matter of principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Thanks all for the advice.  The company replied this morning and apologised and offered a refund via paypal or bank transfer.  I opted for paypal so will see how that plays out.

I didn't expect Eir to do anything.  However I am surprised they cannot or will not allow one to block premium sms numbers.  If you can ban international and premium mobile numbers within account settings, then it should be possible to do this.  However I am assuming this would interfere with the business model.

While I am at it, Eir have given everyone on the higher tariffs 15gb but the website still says 10gb is the limit and the sms message you send to get your balance, lists what's left from 10gb.  The Eir app also does not let you know how much data you have left at all. Very disorganised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Thanks all for the advice.  The company replied this morning and apologised and offered a refund via paypal or bank transfer.  I opted for paypal so will see how that plays out.

I didn't expect Eir to do anything.  However I am surprised they cannot or will not allow one to block premium sms numbers.  If you can ban international and premium mobile numbers within account settings, then it should be possible to do this.  However I am assuming this would interfere with the business model.

While I am at it, Eir have given everyone on the higher tariffs 15gb but the website still says 10gb is the limit and the sms message you send to get your balance, lists what's left from 10gb.  The Eir app also does not let you know how much data you have left at all. Very disorganised.
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Glad to hear its resolved [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Flaccus,[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]thanks for the update. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Unfortunately we don't currently have the facility to block incoming SMS messages from premium numbers. These are typically subscribed to by the customer, sometimes without their knowledge, so the customer would need to unsubscribe to prevent from getting these texts and charges.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I'll pass your feedback onto the mobile team.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Pamela [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Quick update : pay pal refund came through today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Quick update : pay pal refund came through today.
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]That's great to hear [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Flaccus,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Pamela [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I had a similar issue, much smaller amounts but what appears like someone else set me up as I have no outgoing texts to the company. 

What I want is for eir to disclose what the commission they get on these premium services.

It is at least 30% but I suspect much higher.

Advertisement