Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiohead, 3Arena, 20th June 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

OhHiMark wrote: »
    What do you mean didn't think it through? "Oh, you mean the person named on the ticket will have to turn up? I suppose we shouldn't have said that the person named on the ticket would have to turn up so"

Don't be such a smart arse. My son is 19. He doesn't have a credit card. It was his TM account. Why can they not just take the payment and put his name on the ticket instead of the payer who has no interest in going to the concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

OhHiMark wrote: »
    What do you mean didn't think it through? "Oh, you mean the person named on the ticket will have to turn up? I suppose we shouldn't have said that the person named on the ticket would have to turn up so"

Don't be such a d**k. It's a big jump from saying the person named on the ticket will have to turn up to automatically putting the name attached to the payment method on the tickets....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

emeldc wrote: »
    Don't be such a smart arse. My son is 19. He doesn't have a credit card. It was his TM account. Why can they not just take the payment and put his name on the ticket instead of the payer who has no interest in going to the concert.

Exactly. They should have made that clear. "The name of the credit card holder will appear on the ticket, not the name of the Ticketmaster account holder." One sentence. That's all it would have taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Feeling very lucky this morning. Got two seated tickets at about 9.02...straight through to that insufferable verified by visa and got locked out...on hold with bank of Ireland.. tickets gone,
    Went into app then and kept refreshing, got two standing at 9.16. Two clicks and they were mine.

I see the Gibson hotel price for that night is 290. ****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

The Nal wrote: »
    So is Dublin!

Wait til you visit London, New York, San Francisco, Tokyo, or one of the Scandinavian capitals and then say that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

Ah God lads I would have thought it was obvious that it would be the card holders name on the ticket... Sure you don't even necessarily need a Ticketmaster account to buy the tickets.

It's tough luck, but I'd commend any attempt to try and curb touting...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 thelungs

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭thc4me

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Exactly. They should have made that clear. "The name of the credit card holder will appear on the ticket, not the name of the Ticketmaster account holder." One sentence. That's all it would have taken.

Exactly, I thought I could just be happy that I actually got tickets and now the stress of this is spoiling it. My friend got 4 tickets but used her fathers card too and shes married so her surname on her ID will be different to her dads name on the tickets, not that I'm sure that would help in any way. Shes stressing like mad too. How can they use the payment method name and not the ticketmaster account name? Or...ask for a name ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

MattD wrote: »
    Ah God lads I would have thought it was obvious that it would be the card holders name on the ticket... Sure you don't even necessarily need a Ticketmaster account to buy the tickets.

It's tough luck, but I'd commend any attempt to try and curb touting...

Would it be such a big technological hurdle to request the name of the attendee before issuing the tickets??

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Cina wrote: »
    Wait til you visit London, New York, San Francisco, Tokyo, or one of the Scandinavian capitals and then say that :)

Oslo isn't too different to Dublin and London. Booze is a good bit more expensive but the rest is about on par. That's based on personal experience of visiting and not living in the three of them.

You don't have to go. I was just pointing out that you could spin it into a bit of a holiday for a small bit more than you'd spend on a Dublin gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Cina wrote: »
    The Nal wrote: »
    So is Dublin!

Been to them all except Tokyo. San Francisco is crazy yeah. Stockholm not too bad. London is full of busy fools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I can just imagine three people, having paid 500 quid each for their tickets, sitting next to a fourth, for one-night-only Radiohead fan.

In fact that's not a bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jhansynk10

I managed to pick up two this morn, myself and my friend queued online. I tried the pre-sale channel via three with no luck, he managed to get two in the end. Ticketmaster is the biggest legal scam going, I know bemoaning a company after supporting it financially is self-defeating but look at all their secondary sites. Even with the entrance restrictions in place, they still manage to sell these at inflated prices and guarantee entry. I've never seen RH live so really wanted to go with a fellow friend who's a fan. I'll be bringing my hipflask and not paying for beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

thc4me wrote: »
    Exactly, I thought I could just be happy that I actually got tickets and now the stress of this is spoiling it. My friend got 4 tickets but used her fathers card too and shes married so her surname on her ID will be different to her dads name on the tickets, not that I'm sure that would help in any way. Shes stressing like mad too. How can they use the payment method name and not the ticketmaster account name? Or...ask for a name ffs

In all likelihood ID wont be checked on the night as the venue is too large.
    Even if it is ,if you explain your case the staff should let you in .

Adele had the same restrictions on her tickets for the UK tour and nobody was turned away ,likewise Kate Bush ,its primarily just scaremongering.

I think credit card entry is a better option.
    Also the id required can be a bus pass or work id ,not that difficult to get a fake id if you want (not recommending btw).

jhansynk10 wrote: »
    I managed to pick up two this morn, myself and my friend queued online. I tried the pre-sale channel via three with no luck, he managed to get two in the end. Ticketmaster is the biggest legal scam going, I know bemoaning a company after supporting it financially is self-defeating but look at all their secondary sites. Even with the entrance restrictions in place, they still manage to sell these at inflated prices and guarantee entry. I've never seen RH live so really wanted to go with a fellow friend who's a fan. I'll be bringing my hipflask and not paying for beer!

In fairness, there are no Dublin tickets on Seatwave at this stage. This is the first big gig that I can think of that actually has any sort of restrictions on it, and even though I imagine it was done on the behest of the band, I welcome anything that dissuades touts.

This is the one time TM actually tried to do things right and they're still getting it in the neck. You can complain about prices, but TM has the monopoly, what else are they going to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

The Tom Waits gigs in 2008 are the only gigs i've been to that had the same ticket restrictions, no entry without lead booker & Passport or Drivers licence for ID, and the checks were 100% enforced for that.

Gig was a lot smaller in numbers though and the Point with 14k people might be different, i can see them being more relaxed about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Tickets available for the Florence gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

RasTa wrote: »
    Tickets available for the Florence gig.

Milan as well .
    Poland also available.

Day festivals ,tickets cheaper than Dublin too.

https://www.wasteheadquarters.com/schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Do the band set the ticket prices or the promoters?

I was at the first night in Amsterdam in May and tickets were €70 for a 5,000 capacity venue, now they're almost €100 for a venue that holds nearly 15,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Billy Mays wrote: »

I was at the first night in Amsterdam in May and tickets were €70 for a 5,000 capacity venue, now they're almost €100 for a venue that holds nearly 15,000.

Tickets in Florence going for €60 General Admission on the W.A.S.T.E site too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

MattD wrote: »
    In fairness, there are no Dublin tickets on Seatwave at this stage. This is the first big gig that I can think of that actually has any sort of restrictions on it, and even though I imagine it was done on the behest of the band, I welcome anything that dissuades touts.

This is the one time TM actually tried to do things right and they're still getting it in the neck. You can complain about prices, but TM has the monopoly, what else are they going to do?
    Exactly, TM are not touting this one, they are afraid to. It's just supply and demand, there's a lot more than 13k radiohead fans in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I'd be tempted to flog my ticket to the scumbucket touts and go for Best Kept Secret instead... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

It must be the venue/organisers that set the prices. I went to Muse in Portugal and tickets were €35. Similar tickets here were €70.

Glad to see some sort of identity required. I hope it is enforced. It would stop these ridiculous tout prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I thought the high price of gigs in Ireland was down to high venue insurance? Also perhaps being on a little island might mean higher transportation costs? Easier to lug those stages all over Europe on trucks than get it over here on boats.

Plus of course demand will drive ticket prices up :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I wish people would stop saying the ID thing won't be enforced. I was checked twice when I went to see them this year (a smaller venue, yes, but not tiny). It's not like it takes hours to check ID

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Thought it was long established on here that the artist sets the prices

edit: sure look at the carry on on their own website, nearly €84 for a standing ticket and they lump a €13.85 charge on top for absolutely no reason given.

This has probably been posted already but in case anyone interested missed it... https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/apr/29/radiohead-corporate-structure-firms

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I'd be very wary of buying tickets from a 3rd party especially one where you might be told, "the named person on the ticket will turn up on the night to accompany you in".
    Bit hard to do anything about it 6 months later if they don't turn up and you're at the entrance gate with no lead booker.

Let's hope more of this is done by bands in the future to stop touting.
    Might mean more fans get tickets at face value instead of lining other peoples pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Billy Mays wrote: »

I heard a really interesting podcast a while back about how and why ticket prices are the way they are but I can't find it now. It was US focussed, but I'd say there's a lot of crossover.

From what I remember, it's a combination of the band setting a price and then the venue having their overheads (which seems logical). However, the ticket sellers don't want to advertise >e100 tickets, so they hide part of the cost by selling through other businesses they own (e.g. seatwave) or selling packaged tickets (gig ticket + hotel, etc.). I wish I could find the podcast now as I'm probably butchering the explanation, but that's the general gist.

So to answer the question you actually asked, I'm fairly sure it's a combination of both. Other things like needing to bring a full set of gear and pyrotechnics would also affect it. Was the Amserdam gig a "intimate" one or full stage show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Zardoz wrote: »
    Eventim are so much better at selling tickets than Ticketmaster as they stagger the ticket release .
    You can pick your exact seat location too if available.

from what I've read, Eventim were the only ones selling standing tickets too. Gigsandtours, Ticketmaster etc. were only given allocations of seating tickets.

Not true, I got standing on ticketmaster.ie this morning.

• Advertisement

Not true, I got standing on ticketmaster.ie this morning.

Ghostdancer is talking about ticketmaster's ticket sales for the Manchester gig.

Advertisement