Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiohead, 3Arena, 20th June 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

budgemook wrote: »
    Crowd were fantastic imo

The further into the gig and the nearer I got to the front the better they got.

I was right of the sound desk for the first 3 songs and had to move to the left side as I could barely hear the band over the chatter at the bars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Apart from the overpriced ticket for standing, the sound was crap and place full of talkers. Why pay that money to have a conversation?
    Visibility was poor and I'm over 6ft.
    I'll never set foot in there again unless it's decent seating.
    The gig? Decent enough. My fourth time seeing them and I thought the Malahide castle gig was the best out of the four times.
    Saw them in 1997 when OK computer was released. How time flies... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

radiohead were extraordinary-wonderful gig... the fact that a tout stalking this site almost managed to get 2 tickets outta me seems like such a long time ago.. i hope the the two lads, to whom i sold my spares (one irish, one slovakian) and who came in with me had an awesome night!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭argentum

Tell us what you really think of Waterford

ya but what did u think of radiohead? cork were good tho....

• Advertisement

austin gleeson needs a hug too....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭mosstin

roll wrote: »
    austin gleeson needs a hug too....

There, There.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Great gig.

Would have tweaked the setlist. Needed one or two more from The Bends. Also missed There There and Myxomatosis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

What a fantastic gig. It was my first time seeing them live and it exceeded my expectations. How To Disappear Completely is probably my favourite Radiohead song and I was hoping they'd play it bc of the location. I might have cried a wee bit during it 

Unlike most of yous on here I had to show ID to get in - must have been because I was there pretty early.

Thought the atmosphere was fantastic. I was up near enough the front though so obviously that makes a difference. Crowd around me were super into it. I actually quite like the 3Arena as a venue, but I think it really depends on where you are.

Other highlights for me were My Iron Lung, Idioteque, 2+2=5 and You and Whose Army. You know it's a good gig when you want to see the band play again straight afterwards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

seachto7 wrote: »
    Apart from the overpriced ticket for standing, the sound was crap

The sound was great, crystal clear.

It's my first time seeing them and I think it's one of the best gigs I've ever seen. Hearing the crowd sing along to the "Rain down" section of Paranoid Android was incredible. I would have loved to have heard Reckoner or Lucky but at the same time I won't complain. I wish they were playing a second night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Was seated, which, for me, is always a bit of a strange experience. I prefer to feel like I'm in the thick of it, there's such a whole different vibe when your squashed into a mass of your fellow human beings and part of that hive mind. Sometimes sitting semi-placidly in your seat can make it feel like you're watching a recital instead of actually being at a concert, but I had to take what I could get, and, in this instance, what I got was a seated ticket.

In any case, having a better view of what the band was doing on stage was a fair compromise. I thought Radiohead gave a very professional and polished performance tonight. I wouldn't call myself a diehard fan of theirs, but it's undeniable that they really are amongst the greats and thankfulky seem to still be going strong. The quality of their back catalogue is truly staggering and I felt some of the newer songs from A Moon Shaped Pool - a record I've liked, without really loving - sounded a lot more vibrant and crucial live. The concert really got motoring with FullStop: the lights came alive and the tune itself sounded utterly mesmerising.

Personal highlights were hard to pick, they've just got so many killer songs: 2+2 was a real barnstormer, that rendition of Fake Plastic Trees was spinetingling, My Iron Lung was faultless, Paranoid Android was about as excellent as you might have hoped, and, of course, Lotus Flower: honestly, what a song, maybe their most underrated? I could honestly listen to that groove for about an hour.

The lights and general stage show added a lot to proceedings, helping to make it feel like a properly epic occasion at times. Over two hours is serious bang for your buck as well and I didn't feel like we missed out on any major cuts from their repertoire, save from perhaps Burn The Witch. Some people might say Creep, but, personally, I'm glad it didn't get an airing. It's a good song and all, but it's so far from what they sound like now; I'm glad to hear something else in it's place.

If I had any minor gripe it would be that maybe the sound was a teeny bit too low. I didn't leave the arena with my ears ringing. Personally, I like to leave gigs borderline deaf, which didn't happen tonight. But, then again, maybe there was a trade in ear-splitting volume for clarity - the band sounded crisp throughout - which is fair enough.

Final bits and bobs: Thom Yorke is a great dancer. I'm a hetrosexual male, but I think I'm fully full gay for Johnny Greenwood. What a hero, you can tell he still feels it after all these years.

In a nutshell: totally worth it and if they were playing tomorrow I'd absolutely go again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Arghus wrote: »
    Some people might say Creep, but, personally, I'm glad it didn't get an airing.

Only non-Radiohead fans would say that Creep should have been played.

My gig synopsis tomorrow, though I will say some bad-tempered punters in the crowd spoiled it a little for me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Really? In what way?

Birneybau wrote: »
    Really? In what way?

Because fans know they have a huge back catalogue and the only reason someone would think it has to be played was because it was their biggest radio hit. And that is a strong signifier of someone who is not really into them. No song is a guarantee on a Radiohead setlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Great gig, sound and lights were unreal. I started off the night at the top left corner of the tiered seating and the sound was really low, with none of the speakers facing that direction... so we snook down to the standing area and went beside the sound desk. and bumped into none other than Lars Ulrich! Just said hello and shook his hand and left him to enjoy the gig. Did get a snakey photo with him at the very end when people were leaving though :)

Highlights for me were Airbag, Idioteque and Android. Kinda felt like they woud come back out for another tune at the end and the guys on lights / sound seemed a bit surprised when they got word that was it...

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭8mv

Murrisk wrote: »
    My gig synopsis tomorrow, though I will say some bad-tempered punters in the crowd spoiled it a little for me. :(

That's a shame, Murrisk. Some people can spoil a concert for themselves and others without giving it a thought - it's happened to me on one or two occasions.
    I was standing, slightly left of centre, with my daughter and some of her friends. They, and everyone around us, were in great form and loved the gig. No one was talking loudly or going to the bar.
    I have to say I was tired during the day and was half wishing I didn't have to go, but once it started, all that was forgotten and by the end I was full of energy. I've been a fan since The Bends, but this was my first time seeing them live. Thom is a revelation - I always had this perception of him as a grumpy shoe-gazer. Nothing like it - great energy and charisma. Doesn't say a lot, but doesn't have to.

Tonight was my second time seeing Radiohead, tbe first time being nine years ago in Malahide. Tonight's gig wasn't *quite* as special as my first time seeing them, but still a great gig and well well worth the money. If I could, I would have tweaked the setlist to suit my personal tastes.......but when you have a group with a back catalogue as extensive as Radiohead's, then you're never gonna please everyone! For example, I wouldn't have been too pushed if "Fake Plastic Trees" was cut, as it's never been a song I've been particularly mad about, but I know cutting that from the setlist would be sacrilege to many fans! :pac: The ones I missed most tonight (that have been played on this tour) were "Reckoner", "There There", "Climbing Up the Walls" and "Pyramid Song".

On the plus side, highlights included "I Promise" (a song I was not familiar with) and the double whammy of "Identikit" and "Idioteque". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

First time seeing Radiohead and I was well impressed. He's a great frontman even with a little crowd interaction.
    Was fairly close to the front and it's the first time noticing that not a single person in my vicinity left to get a pint or take a p1ss. No-one chatting through songs either which was great.

First time seeing Radiohead and I was well impressed. He's a great frontman even with a little crowd interaction.
    Was fairly close to the front and it's the first time noticing that not a single person in my vicinity left to get a pint or take a p1ss. No-one chatting through songs either which was great.
    It's a pity you had to be way up the front to have a good experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llXz_9Nm6i4

The grin on his face during the float down the Liffey line :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

threein99 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llXz_9Nm6i4

The grin on his face during the float down the Liffey line :D

The only taint on the night was the periods of having to watch the gig through people's phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

As bad and uninterested some of the crowd were, it was impressive how few were videoing/taking pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

The only taint on the night was the periods of having to watch the gig through people's phones.

I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't too bad where I was, compared to other recent gigs anyway.

Bit miffed during the last two songs when some dope got up on her boyfriends shoulders for no other reason than to have a smoke it seemed, other than that crowd was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

Tonight was my second time seeing Radiohead, tbe first time being nine years ago in Malahide. Tonight's gig wasn't *quite* as special as my first time seeing them, but still a great gig and well well worth the money. If I could, I would have tweaked the setlist to suit my personal tastes.......but when you have a group with a back catalogue as extensive as Radiohead's, then you're never gonna please everyone! For example, I wouldn't have been too pushed if "Fake Plastic Trees" was cut, as it's never been a song I've been particularly mad about, but I know cutting that from the setlist would be sacrilege to many fans! :pac: The ones I missed most tonight (that have been played on this tour) were "Reckoner", "There There", "Climbing Up the Walls" and "Pyramid Song".

On the plus side, highlights included "I Promise" (a song I was not familiar with) and the double whammy of "Identikit" and "Idioteque". :)

+1 summed up my thoughts exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Yeah, didn't think the phone crowd were too bad last night. Maybe that's because the age profile might be a bit older.

On the gig itself, I loved it. Only my second time seeing them, first was Malahide. Nice mix of songs, would have a liked to tweak the setlist a bit but you can't please everyone. The lads themselves looked really up for it and gave it loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Really enjoyed that, second time seeing them. Like many, there's a couple of songs I'd have personally swapped out but they've such an arsenal of songs you won't always get what you want yourself, would have loved Separator and Weird Fishes but them's the breaks.

My highlights were Fake Plastic Trees, The Numbers, No Surprises, Idioteque... The crowd was good in the standing area, had a few chatterboxes near us at the start but moved away as the gig wore on, very few phones being used, no much traffic walking around.

maximoose wrote: »

Bit miffed during the last two songs when some dope got up on her boyfriends shoulders for no other reason than to have a smoke it seemed, other than that crowd was great.

Twats like these need to be called out and told to cop the f**k on. :mad:

A group in front of me started talking and laughing loudly during "I promise". I was back near the sound desk so the sound was crap enough. I basically sang/roared the chorus at them to shut them up. Eejits.

Total opposite where I was, there was so much foostering going on, even commented to OH that I'd never seen so much to and fro at a gig before. People were very fidgety.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Anyone run into Lars from Metallica? Apparently he was in the standing last night?:P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Anyone run into Lars from Metallica? Apparently he was in the standing last night?:P

Would've ruined it surely.

Advertisement