Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiohead, 3Arena, 20th June 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Thought it was a great gig! Probably my 6th time or so seeing them, though last night was the weakest of all those I reckon.

My only complaint was the large amount of "woo girls"... you know the type, when ever a song goes quiet they all scream "Wooooooooooo".

Can't believe Lars Ulrich was knocking around! Maybe he was scoping out the venue for a surprise Metallica show!

Highlights for me were Daydream, Idioteque, and I thought 2+2=5 was amazing! I think I Promise fell flat a bit, can see why they omitted it from OK Computer originally.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

You sure Lars was there? Metallica are on tour over in the US atm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Anyone run into Lars from Metallica? Apparently he was in the standing last night?:P

Yea, I did. He was by the sound desk with his lady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Also ears are slightly ringing this morning, been a long time since I've had that from the O3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Yup he tweeted that he came for the show :)
    I thought ''twas weird but dates must have matched up!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They've a 3 week gap at the moment.

On the foostering and inattentive crowd. Some of that was down the heat. Some of it was down to them not knowing anything post Kid A

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Yup he tweeted that he came for the show :)
    I thought ''twas weird but dates must have matched up!

Ah yea i just checked their tour dates and they are free till July

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Jaysus. Just after realising...its nearly 20 years to the exact day when I saw them in 1997. Still have the t-shirt at home somewhere from the gig..."The Longest Day".. (today is also the longest day!!)..supported by massive attack and teenage fanclub back then. Time flies!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

bland gig, uninterested crowd, disengaging band, mainly due to there questionable sequence of song choice.

overall a bit of a disappointment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Jaysus. Just after realising...its nearly 20 years to the exact day when I saw them in 1997. Still have the t-shirt at home somewhere from the gig..."The Longest Day".. (today is also the longest day!!)..supported by massive attack and teenage fanclub back then. Time flies!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Nerdlingr wrote: »

Wasn't at the gig lastnight but the last time I seen them was the Tent tour they did in 2000. They played in Punchestown and it was the week Kid A came out I think.

Setlist here: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/radiohead/2000/punchestown-racecourse-naas-ireland-4bd6ef6e.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Weepsie wrote: »
    They've a 3 week gap at the moment.

On the foostering and inattentive crowd. Some of that was down the heat. Some of it was down to them not knowing anything post Kid A

Even so, stay and listen. Could not believe the mass exodus to the bar during some of the songs.

But, yeah, the humidity definitely played a role too.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

Great gig, sound and lights were unreal. I started off the night at the top left corner of the tiered seating and the sound was really low, with none of the speakers facing that direction... so we snook down to the standing area and went beside the sound desk. and bumped into none other than Lars Ulrich! Just said hello and shook his hand and left him to enjoy the gig. Did get a snakey photo with him at the very end when people were leaving though :)

Highlights for me were Airbag, Idioteque and Android. Kinda felt like they woud come back out for another tune at the end and the guys on lights / sound seemed a bit surprised when they got word that was it...

Can you post the pic of you and Lars so we can see him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Thought it was a great gig! Probably my 6th time or so seeing them, though last night was the weakest of all those I reckon.

My only complaint was the large amount of "woo girls"... you know the type, when ever a song goes quiet they all scream "Wooooooooooo".

Can't believe Lars Ulrich was knocking around! Maybe he was scoping out the venue for a surprise Metallica show!

Highlights for me were Daydream, Idioteque, and I thought 2+2=5 was amazing! I think I Promise fell flat a bit, can see why they omitted it from OK Computer originally.

Lucky enough to see them 4 times since 1997, and same as you, this one was the weakest of them but I think the choice of venue contributed to it. I've been at othere gigs in the 3 "arena" which sounded pretty sh*t as well. Maybe I have rose tinted glasses. I thought some of the song choices or sequencing wasn't great, killed the mood at times. It was still a "good" gig, but worth €90? Not for me. It was difficult to enjoy it in the standing area when you could barely see the stage. I couldn't hear any of Ed O Brien's guitar or vocals, barely at times.
    Malahide was still the best for me in 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,724 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Would have loved to hear "burn the witch" and "jigsaw falling into pieces" but otherwise a stellar (and sober) night. Enjoyed every minute of it.

26272nl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Lars could be either of those fellas for all I know of Metallica :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I thought it was an 'ok' gig.
    Easy to get in, easy to get drinks, easy to get to the loo.

I was seated in block k. So in front of the stage.
    Seating at a gig does not work for me. And the sound was a bit muted where I was sitting.
    Set list was great and only song I would have liked would have been a 'Karma Police' finale.

So, for me, second time seeing them. First time was in Marlay Park in 2006, when I was but a young one of 22. Really enjoyed this gig, I am always amazed at the band's musicianship and Thom's voice is really holding up very, very well. They are a band who it seems will never disappoint, even if the setlist leaves out some favourites.

Highlights for me: Fake Plastic Trees, I Promise (which some didn't seem to enjoy but I thought it was a nice breather between more intense choons), Idioteque, Paranoid Android and How To Disappear Completely.

Sadly, the first bit of Idioteque was ruined by woman in the row in front and slightly to the left of us who was being, well, idioteque. The guy next to her was grooving away, he stood up and was gesturing to everyone around him to get up too. Personally, I love that shit, love to see people getting into a gig and he was just having a great time. :) So anyway, he spilled some beer onto the shoulder of this woman who was next to him. I get that that's a bit annoying, but it's a gig. Sure my friend had half a pint of beer spilled down his back by someone behind him and he and the guy who did it just shook hands and got on with things. So, this lady stands up and spends the first third of the song yelling at the guy who spilled the beer on her. Like, really going for it. It was so distracting. My husband just blocked her out as he loves Idioteque, he was determined that she shouldn't ruin for it for him. So anyway, a guy directly behind her tried to reason her into sitting down to no avail as she was blocking his view. Then she stormed off and came back a moment later with some ushers and tried to have Beer Spiller thrown out! :eek: Thankfully the ushers were having none of it. Think they just told Beer Spiller to calm down a bit and left it at that. She sank into her seat after that. But what a wagon. Very annoying for everyone around her and she seemed to wreck poor ol' Beer Spiller's buzz too.

My brother-in-law was in another seated section. During How To Disappear Completely he stood up as did many others and a guy behind him started grousing about it. It was the feckin' finale of the concert. So anyway, BIL sits down and turns around to extend a hand to the guy, olive branch type thing. The guy says to him "Are you doing that so that you can get a good look at my face for later?". :eek::eek::eek: So that killed any remaining concilitory feelings for BIL and he went back to the gig. He stood up again as the song was finishing up and yer man was still grousing behind him "He's just taking the piss now"-type thing. Dunno about anyone else here in seated sections, but I found that there was plenty of jumping up in our section at certain parts, it just happened very organically in our section so I was surprised to hear such a bad reaction to it from this guy.

Plus, as I said, an awful lot of foostering. I really enjoyed the gig but a few things pegged it back from being brilliant for me, mainly other punters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

26272nl.jpg

Wonder was he in Dublin to negotiate a future Metallica concert?

• Advertisement

Wonder was he in Dublin to negotiate a future Metallica concert?

I asked him how long had it been since they played that venue and said they should get their arses back and he said they wouldn't cos they can't do their show in the round like they like to do. Told me to come to see them in Belfast :mad:

Also, my friend is getting to see them at Glastonbury at the weekend.

I. Am. So. Envious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

My only regret is not going right up the front with the die hards. Pretend fans are grand when they're quiet but there was some amount of dopes there by the sounds of it.

Grayditch wrote: »
    My only regret is not going right up the front with the die hards. Pretend fans are grand when they're quiet but there was some amount of dopes there by the sounds of it.

I dunno, I don't mind a bit of talking as much as others here as long as it's not inane chatter. I heard lots of excited chatter and I kinda like that, it adds to the atmosphere. I love all the guttural roars too and the wooing too! :o And half the time, I only saw lips moving, I didn't hear what people are actually saying. They were drowned out by the music. My huz did some talking and he ain't no pretend fan! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭strawdog

Yep there was a lot of absolute planks around me (physically and mentally) but because of the lack of people going to the bar/jacks it was quite hard to get in closer to the front middle. Still really enjoyed it tho, thought they were really tight and up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Same here. I didn’t get there until after 8.30; I probably picked up the last ticket available around the building. But downside is I was one of the last in. So had to start right at the back, and make my way up a bit. Didn’t get very far, and I’m no good at just bustling my way through. Thought I was enjoying myself alright, but then the chatting started, and the “in and out to the toilet”, multiple smoke breaks, spilling drink on people. It just went on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on. And on, and on, and on, and on. Eventually I stopped and listened to the gig!!!:o

Murrisk wrote: »
    So, for me, second time seeing them. First time was in Marlay Park in 2006, when I was but a young one of 22. Really enjoyed this gig, I am always amazed at the band's musicianship and Thom's voice is really holding up very, very well. They are a band who it seems will never disappoint, even if the setlist leaves out some favourites.

Highlights for me: Fake Plastic Trees, I Promise (which some didn't seem to enjoy but I thought it was a nice breather between more intense choons), Idioteque, Paranoid Android and How To Disappear Completely.

Sadly, the first bit of Idioteque was ruined by woman in the row in front and slightly to the left of us who was being, well, idioteque. The guy next to her was grooving away, he stood up and was gesturing to everyone around him to get up too. Personally, I love that shit, love to see people getting into a gig and he was just having a great time. :) So anyway, he spilled some beer onto the shoulder of this woman who was next to him. I get that that's a bit annoying, but it's a gig. Sure my friend had half a pint of beer spilled down his back by someone behind him and he and the guy who did it just shook hands and got on with things. So, this lady stands up and spends the first third of the song yelling at the guy who spilled the beer on her. Like, really going for it. It was so distracting. My husband just blocked her out as he loves Idioteque, he was determined that she shouldn't ruin for it for him. So anyway, a guy directly behind her tried to reason her into sitting down to no avail as she was blocking his view. Then she stormed off and came back a moment later with some ushers and tried to have Beer Spiller thrown out! :eek: Thankfully the ushers were having none of it. Think they just told Beer Spiller to calm down a bit and left it at that. She sank into her seat after that. But what a wagon. Very annoying for everyone around her and she seemed to wreck poor ol' Beer Spiller's buzz too.

My brother-in-law was in another seated section. During How To Disappear Completely he stood up as did many others and a guy behind him started grousing about it. It was the feckin' finale of the concert. So anyway, BIL sits down and turns around to extend a hand to the guy, olive branch type thing. The guy says to him "Are you doing that so that you can get a good look at my face for later?". :eek::eek::eek: So that killed any remaining concilitory feelings for BIL and he went back to the gig. He stood up again as the song was finishing up and yer man was still grousing behind him "He's just taking the piss now"-type thing. Dunno about anyone else here in seated sections, but I found that there was plenty of jumping up in our section at certain parts, it just happened very organically in our section so I was surprised to hear such a bad reaction to it from this guy.

Plus, as I said, an awful lot of foostering. I really enjoyed the gig but a few things pegged it back from being brilliant for me, mainly other punters.

Had some lad behind me giving out about us standing. I would have liked to up and dancing more. I know I annoyed the guy behind me by standing too much. I apologised and shook his hand at the end and he was very nice about the whole thing.

Had some lad behind me giving out about us standing. I would have liked to up and dancing more. I know I annoyed the guy behind me by standing too much. I apologised and shook his hand at the end and he was very nice about the whole thing.

We were lucky enough where we were that everyone just sort of stood up and sat down in sync. It's a tricky one really, I suppose standing blocks the view of someone behind you. But in my BIL's case, it was the finale when a lot of people jump to their feet. And yer man's reaction was menacing! o_O

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

larsulrich.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I saw a group of lads getting moaned at by a guy. I like to moan, but I can't help but smile when I see a group of young lads jump up with excitement for their favourite songs. It wasnt ever for long. At least they were fans.

Advertisement