Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiohead, 3Arena, 20th June 2017

Options

Comments

I had to stay near the back because my friend can't be too near the front as the flashing lights can trigger migraines for her. It was mostly fine but yeah a lot of people going to get drinks etc. I'm used to that from other gigs though! There were a group of loud slightly inebriated women who were talking and laughing through Fake Plastic Trees who were very annoying. And some bloke who was very miffed because he had decided Thom Yorke wasn't really singing to Everything in its Right Place and it was all just backing track, and felt he had to explain this to me and my friend :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

And some bloke who was very miffed because he had decided Thom Yorke wasn't really singing to Everything in its Right Place and it was all just backing track, and felt he had to explain this to me and my friend :rolleyes:

LOL, ye poor things. He sounds like a fascinating individual. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Murrisk wrote: »
    My brother-in-law was in another seated section. During How To Disappear Completely he stood up as did many others and a guy behind him started grousing about it. It was the feckin' finale of the concert. So anyway, BIL sits down and turns around to extend a hand to the guy, olive branch type thing. The guy says to him "Are you doing that so that you can get a good look at my face for later?". :eek::eek::eek: So that killed any remaining concilitory feelings for BIL and he went back to the gig. He stood up again as the song was finishing up and yer man was still grousing behind him "He's just taking the piss now"-type thing. Dunno about anyone else here in seated sections, but I found that there was plenty of jumping up in our section at certain parts, it just happened very organically in our section so I was surprised to hear such a bad reaction to it from this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Identikit sounded really good live btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Identikit sounded really good live btw.

Definitely. Had to use Bloom as a chance to use the toilet. Apologies to all the people I barged past to get back when I heard the start of Identikit :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭glennhysen

Weepsie wrote: »

God I feel old, I first saw them play 21 years ago in Castlegar (outside Galway??). The RDS gig was my 2nd time to see them play.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Definitely. Had to use Bloom as a chance to use the toilet. Apologies to all the people I barged past to get back when I heard the start of Identikit :pac:

My husband was having a hard time choosing his "leg it to the toilet" song. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

Did they play you and whose army?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

They did indeed, setlist here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

eoinf wrote: »
    bland gig, uninterested crowd, disengaging band, mainly due to there questionable sequence of song choice.

overall a bit of a disappointment.

:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Also, my friend is getting to see them at Glastonbury at the weekend.

I. Am. So. Envious.

The reality is, as I found watching them at Primavera last year, that Radiohead at Glastonbury will be a pain in the arse, better watched from the sofa.

Birneybau wrote: »
    The reality is, as I found watching them at Primavera last year, that Radiohead at Glastonbury will be a pain in the arse, better watched from the sofa.

My friend loves her festivals and has been to loads so this won't be true of her. I saw Radiohead at Marlay Park, which in some way replicates the festival situation, and they were excellent. I have no idea why they would be any worse at a festival and people who attend know what they are getting themselves in for anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Really good gig. I'm not the biggest Radiohead head, I probably only was familiar with 40-50% of the set. They left out a couple of my favourite tracks that they've been playing on this tour but of course you can't depend on them to play everything you want! The energy of the band and in the crowd was incredible. The stage-show was awesome. Little bits like when those disco ball kind of lasery lights turned on for the first time in Daydreaming was cool.

A few tracks kind of plodded on fairly inoffensively but I suppose you're bound to get a couple of those in a 2 hour gig.

People complaining about movers near them, it's the same at any gig. A lot of people who have placed themselves further away from the front are there for a reason and that's to be able to access the bar a lot easier. The same people would tend to chat more also. Get closer if you want to get locked in with like-minded spectators.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

glennhysen wrote: »
    God I feel old, I first saw them play 21 years ago in Castlegar (outside Galway??). The RDS gig was my 2nd time to see them play.

Big day out?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭glennhysen

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Big day out?

Yes, that was it.

Radiohead headlined and some of the other acts were Nenah Cherry, The Cardigans, Bluetones and Divide Comedy.

My friend loves her festivals and has been to loads so this won't be true of her. I saw Radiohead at Marlay Park, which in some way replicates the festival situation, and they were excellent. I have no idea why they would be any worse at a festival and people who attend know what they are getting themselves in for anyway.

It's the access situation I'm talking about. 10k last night, 25-30k Marlay, 80k? at Glastonbury. Standing front of the Pyramid stage for hour upon hour, good luck hitting the loo. Wear a nappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

glennhysen wrote: »
    Yes, that was it.

Radiohead headlined and some of the other acts were Nenah Cherry, The Cardigans, Bluetones and Divide Comedy.

Was at that too - from what I remember it lashed rain all day and I got soaked. The lads were great as usual and Neneh was cute in her combats :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Belting gig

The crowd where I was were great. No talking during songs and I hardly had to move to let someone past all night. Everyone just loving the music.

Disagree with the comments re the king of limbs material. Both Bloom and Lotus Flower are brilliant live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

eoinf wrote: »
    bland gig, uninterested crowd, disengaging band, mainly due to there questionable sequence of song choice.

overall a bit of a disappointment.

cheer up buddy, itll soon be christmas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Was at that too - from what I remember it lashed rain all day and I got soaked. The lads were great as usual and Neneh was cute in her combats :P
    We walked there drinking Bucky and walked back to the gpo afterwards good times. Radiohead were so young played every song (albeit only two albums)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

glennhysen wrote:

I was at that , I have seen them 8 times now. Last night was great in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I asked him how long had it been since they played that venue and said they should get their arses back and he said they wouldn't cos they can't do their show in the round like they like to do. Told me to come to see them in Belfast :mad:

FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Second last time they played the old Point they played in the round....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I was at that , I have seen them 8 times now. Last night was great in my opinion

Ya, I remember the Galway gig. I thought it was fantastic. Really dull day. Drinking couple of cans in a small pub fairly close by, and bit of a walk then to the gig. Thought it was brilliant.
    Then saw them in Punchestown. Thought it was terrible. They were just making the transformation to the Kid A and after phase. The bar was outside the tent, and we spent the whole evening just back and over to the bar. Decided that we were going to drink the crappy gig away. Didn’t realise that more the fool on us. Had a look there at the setlist, and it was majestic. Anyway, I learnt from it. Technology was not so advanced back then, and finding out the previous setlists was not as simple as it is now – where they are available in a matter of seconds on the big bad Net.

3rd time was last night. I really enjoyed it. Didn’t think it was fantastic for me. But again, I know that’s because of familiarity of the tunes. I knew all of the songs, some that I could sing along to, and some that I would not be so familiar with. But from the reactions of the crowd, it was obvious that it was me that was missing that buzz. Some great tunes though – Everything …, Idiotique, Lotus Flower and so on.

I was at the back of the 3Arena at the beginning. Had to make my way up through the crowd. Decided I was going to tackle it from the side instead. Got great position for second half of the gig. And really enjoyed it from there. I think I was agitated for the first half, wondering how to get through the crowd. Not used to be down the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Even so, stay and listen. Could not believe the mass exodus to the bar during some of the songs.

But, yeah, the humidity definitely played a role too.

In fairness, some of the songs don't really work that well live. The crowd really got going for Iron Lung so All I Need immediately after was a bit of a deflator.

gaius c wrote: »
    In fairness, some of the songs don't really work that well live. The crowd really got going for Iron Lung so All I Need immediately after was a bit of a deflator.

I know but people could at least stay a moment and have a listen, not be out the door like a shot.

Birneybau wrote: »
    It's the access situation I'm talking about. 10k last night, 25-30k Marlay, 80k? at Glastonbury. Standing front of the Pyramid stage for hour upon hour, good luck hitting the loo. Wear a nappy.

Erm, yes, I'm sure she knows what seeing a band at a festival entails, as do I. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

You forgot poor ould Ron Sexsmith who opened up the festival,that was around lunchtime,he went on stage all enthusiastic and tried to get a happy clappy vibe going,but he gave up when hardly joined in,come to think of it,there was hardly anyone in at around the grounds at that time. But that was my first time seeing Radiohead live and I've been very fortunate to catch them live each time they've played in Ireland

I actually have that concert recorded on a warped C-90 TDK Cassette ,that Dave Fanning broadcasted on the days when 2FM was actually worth listening to and a lot of concerts were broadcasted through 2FM as well by a lot of leading artists.While I thoroughly enjoyed last nights gig and been the short arse I am,had to stand near the back to catch some glimpse of Thom and the boys,I thought the Malahide gig slightly edge it in terms of song selection and performance.For me,I just got a vibe that maybe the guys were holding back a slight bit with Glastonbury coming up in a few days,that's just me.Having said that I really enjoyed the gig and I hope we don't have to wait another 8 years to see them again on these shores....

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

eoinf wrote:

Entitled to your own opinion of course, find it weird that an 'uninterested' crowd would give the band 3 seperate standing ovations though!

Seen them now about 8 or 9 times maybe, that gig was up there with one of the best Radiohead gigs I've ever seen. And one of the best gigs ive seen in recent memory in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Maybe next time theyll play Creep 14 times and people might be happy.

Advertisement