Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiohead, 3Arena, 20th June 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Maybe next time theyll play Creep 14 times and people might be happy.

the censored version!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Interesting looking back at that Galway gig from 96 they played a fair few songs that ended up on OK computer. Lucky had been released at that point I think but there were a fair few songs rolled out that people wouldn't know, I cant remember exactly but I don't remember how those songs were received at the time.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/radiohead/1996/castlegar-sports-grounds-galway-ireland-33d780e5.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

adrian522 wrote: »
    Interesting looking back at that Galway gig from 96 they played a fair few songs that ended up on OK computer. Lucky had been released at that point I think but there were a fair few songs rolled out that people wouldn't know, I cant remember exactly but I don't remember how those songs were received at the time.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/radiohead/1996/castlegar-sports-grounds-galway-ireland-33d780e5.html

With regards to some of the songs that ended up on Ok Computer, "Lucky" was actually released on the War Child album as a contributory single, as it was so well received it was decided that it would be added to Ok Computer....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I asked him how long had it been since they played that venue and said they should get their arses back and he said they wouldn't cos they can't do their show in the round like they like to do. Told me to come to see them in Belfast :mad:

They're not even playing Belfast on this tour

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Great gig but annoyed at the relative lack of In Rainbows based on recent setlists. :(

They were definitely on top form though - the new album sounded great live

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

With regards to some of the songs that ended up on Ok Computer, "Lucky" was actually released on the War Child album as a contributory single, as it was so well received it was decided that it would be added to Ok Computer....

Yes, I realise that Lucky had been released and well known at that point but they also played 3 other tracks that would appear on OK computer the following year. I'm just wondering if people remember how these tracks were received at the time? I don't remember much about them at the time.

Also on the setlist was lift, which even now I'm not familiar with.

I guess it goes to show how fast the band were moving and how much of OK computer was ready to go even while they were still touring the bends.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dylar

Great gig but annoyed at the relative lack of In Rainbows based on recent setlists. :(

Would have loved Weird Fishes, Jigsaw or Nude but you can't have everything I suppose or we'd still be there! I thought the hand clapping really destroyed All I Need which was a shame.

Overall I thought the gig was good but not great.

The Good: Really enjoyed 2+2=5, Fake Plastic Trees, Ful Stop, How to Disappear Completely, Bloom and No Surprises. Their musicianship is faultless and they really seemed to be enjoying themselves too.

The Not so Good: The visuals/light show was a bit 'meh', I had high hopes so found them underwhelming. Also why didn't they use the screens either side of the stage? If you were seated at the edges I imagine that it was pretty hard to see what was happening. Minor gripe - no brass section for the National Anthem meant it felt a bit flat.

I thought the crowd for the most part were really good, definitely had an older feel to it. With a 2+ hour show in a sweaty arena you're always going to have people moving past you, toilets, bar etc. so that didn't really bother me. The guy behind me 'predicting' what song was going to be next for the whole gig got on my nerves though. "A piano, All I Need is next", "An acoustic guitar, it's Karma Police, it's Karma Police, not wait, it's No Surprises", "HTDC, Oh I've never heard this live, this is amazing ...." (well then shut the f**k up or none of us will get to hear it).

Ultimately if they were playing tonight or tomorrow for another €100+ I couldn't justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭mosstin

They were definitely on top form though - the new album sounded great live

Saw them play 5 songs from In Rainbows over the weekend which I think makes it extremely well represented. They have a phenomenal back catalogue - personal favourites are going to be missed. I'd love to have heard The National Anthem but they didn't play it at the gig I was at. C'est la vie.
    I did hear them close the set with There, There and they also played Reckoner so I think I did pretty well even if I didn't hear everything I wanted to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Murrisk wrote: »
    I know but people could at least stay a moment and have a listen, not be out the door like a shot.

Yeah, I didn't budge for the whole gig but about 10,000 people decided that was a good point for a toilet break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Wouldn't mind hearing You. Pablo Honey still stands up to listening now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,723 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

gaius c wrote: »

Was hoping for Ripcord myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭thc4me

Great gig, I think we were the only people in the crowd at the start who noticed Phil Selway sitting at one of the posts. He was an absolute gentleman, chatting away, offered to let us take a couple of pictures, then we left him alone and when he was going off to go backstage he came over and said I hope yous have a great night enjoy it, awesome experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

thc4me wrote: »
    Great gig, I think we were the only people in the crowd at the start who noticed Phil Selway sitting at one of the posts. He was an absolute gentleman, chatting away, offered to let us take a couple of pictures, then we left him alone and when he was going off to go backstage he came over and said I hope yous have a great night enjoy it, awesome experience.

Beautiful. A truly lovely bloke, engaged with him on Twitter, he covers for Guy Garvey some Sundays on 6Music.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭deeks

I was totally floored by this. I've seen Radiohead every time they've been in Ireland since Castlegar back in the day and I think this may have been the best (and lets the honest - the bar was pretty high already). The performance / set list / visuals / audience were all immense. A real privelege to see musicians of this standard at the peak of their powers. Yeah there was a few songs I'd love to have seen added but when your back catalogue is as stacked as Radiohead's its impossible to play everything. So many highlights and I thought the set was paced brilliantly. Bodysnatchers / 2+2=5 closing out the main set was epic. Crowd were really into it where I was. A few took out phones at the start and I feared the worst but took one or two photos and put them away for the rest of the gig :) . Can't wait to sit down and watch them own Glastonbury on Friday night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The band just released Man of War aka Big Boots. Unreleased OK Computer track from the forthcoming remaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

That's fantastic. And a great video.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Great to finally have a proper version of it, even if doesn't sound quite as good as I remember it sounding in Meeting People is Easy.

Great to finally have a proper version of it, even if doesn't sound quite as good as I remember it sounding in Meeting People is Easy.

I went and bought the super deluxe Ok Computer box set, bringing my Radiohead spend, since Monday, up to €260. Gig ticket, t-shirt at gig and the aforementioned boxset. :eek:

Birneybau wrote: »
    I went and bought the super deluxe Ok Computer box set, bringing my Radiohead spend, since Monday, up to €260. Gig ticket, t-shirt at gig and the aforementioned boxset. :eek:

Yeah I have the boxset ordered as well. A day one purchase for me. Just got the email with the download link to the remastered album.

What's the t-shirt quality like? The quality of their merch seems pretty poor these days.

Some of the bootleg shirts said Radiohead 1997-2017.

:/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Yeah I have the boxset ordered as well. A day one purchase for me. Just got the email with the download link to the remastered album.

What's the t-shirt quality like? The quality of their merch seems pretty poor these days.

I don't get to much gigs so I always get a t shirt when I do. But I had a look at the merch on Tuesday and didn't want anything on offer. Looked very poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

gaius c wrote: »

They played it at Marlay Park in 2006 and, yeah, it was nice to hear but I still can't believe someone earlier in the thread said that fans might expect it to be played. With a back catalogue of nine albums, why on earth would it be expected? Or any song? And Radiohead are not ones to bend to expectation anyway. :D

Birneybau wrote: »

It's not too bad really. Got one at Primavera last year which has really faded badly though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Didn't see it discussed here too much but did anyone else think the support band were pure shiiiite? Is Johnny trying to go the George Harrison route on us?

They held my interest longer than I expected. The drummer on the right was an absolute beast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

thc4me wrote: »

Wow, he even used Dublin phraseology? Sweet! :P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Big mac and fries

I really enjoyed the support band, still no idea of their name though. I remember seeing Johnny with some orchestra in Kilmainham, I think they were supporting Beck, now THAT was crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

I really enjoyed the support band, still no idea of their name though. I remember seeing Johnny with some orchestra in Kilmainham, I think they were supporting Beck, now THAT was crap!

Junun - if you enjoyed them, you should watch the doc of the same name by Paul Thomas Anderson

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Big mac and fries

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Junun - if you enjoyed them, you should watch the doc of the same name by Paul Thomas Anderson

I'll check it out, thanks a million

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

They were painful.

Advertisement