Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I want to quit the booze but finding it tough

• 31-10-2016 7:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭

I want to give up the drink because I want to get fit but also because I have developed a bit of a dependency , the problem I have is that I work shift 2x12 hours days 2x12 hour nights and then with 4 days off I find myself very bored so I always hit the booze in the evening. I'm 38 now so I'm in the last chance club for doing this whilst I'm still relatively young. Would appreciate some advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ASoberThought

Why do you get bored? Are you pursuing any intellectual pursuits or hobbies? Getting fit is good but going to the gym or engaging in other exercise might only fill a few hours in each of those 4 days.

Perhaps you just need to find something to become interested in or passionate about?

If your dependency is at such a level that this is not possible, you then have multiple options with regards to support groups. The only requirement for these support groups is a desire to stop using drink or drugs. Even if you don't define yourself as a true alcoholic, you can still get support in getting back on your feet within the rooms.

AA or LifeRing could be a good support group for you.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/stopdrinking/ - This is a wonderful online support group for people wanting to abstain from alcohol.

Good luck with your path

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Lukeskyrunner

Why do you get bored? Are you pursuing any intellectual pursuits or hobbies? Getting fit is good but going to the gym or engaging in other exercise might only fill a few hours in each of those 4 days.

Perhaps you just need to find something to become interested in or passionate about?

If your dependency is at such a level that this is not possible, you then have multiple options with regards to support groups. The only requirement for these support groups is a desire to stop using drink or drugs. Even if you don't define yourself as a true alcoholic, you can still get support in getting back on your feet within the rooms.

AA or LifeRing could be a good support group for you.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/stopdrinking/ - This is a wonderful online support group for people wanting to abstain from alcohol.

Good luck with your path

Could you give me some examples of things to get involved in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Could you give me some examples of things to get involved in

What hobbies/interests have you got ?

some options are:

Hillwalking, Beaches and cycling - its amazing what you see when you get out of the car in this stunning country.

Do it like the tourists do - get out and see your locality - do all the touristy things and hopefully will pick up a few other curious non drinkers along the way.

Cinema - great non drinking pass-time (can be a bit expensive but nothing compared to a night out) and its just plain old romantic. My local cinema back home has a film club thats fab. Old fashioned cinema, owner with a passion for film comes in and give his two cents - crowd becomes like a family!

Bowling - again a great nights entertainment for under €25.

Gigs - broaden your horizons -

Play's and Theatre - there are loads of small theatre groups all over the country struggling to survive - your tenner could go a long way and you get a lovely nights entertainment. For that fact if you both love films and I know this is a stretch but would you consider joining your local theatre group!

Volunteer - Can be really rewarding and you can often learn new skills yourself by volunteering. You don't have to turn into mother theresa overnight but giving an hour to two to a social charity could turn into something of a passion.

Join a book club - make new friends, new horizons & new books!

I'm sure there's so much more... think of the foreign students around Ireland - they are so full of the joy of life, most don't drink, they enjoy each others company and seem to really appreciate the beauty of the place.

Hope some of this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ASoberThought

+1 to the post above and the options are really endless. I kind of cringe when I see my next comment in other places because it's so cliche, however if you browse through groups on meetup.com, I personally think it has lots of interesting groups in Ireland.

Heres a song and the opening line starts off with gratitude and the chorus goes like "There are hundreds of ways to get through the days, now you just find one" - and this is very true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpyNydatVwQ

Also consider that it also takes time to transition into all of this and be kind to yourself. Check in regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DnxpZ1CDpp4

On ur mp3/phone; vid2mp3.com

Walk around laughing to yourself while getting some exercise.

Same for language lessons, walk, listen, learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Paudi L

I'm finding it really difficult to fill time since I gave up the drink too. The weather is good this weekend so I'm happy enough walking the dog and doing a bit around the house but its difficult to see the wood from the trees regarding where to socialize/hobbies to take up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I've started doing Couch To 5K (C25K), and I'm using the (free!) local 5K Parkruns as part of my motivation. They're all over the country, just look up the Parkrun website. I'm doing my first one next weekend. I'm going to hopefully do them most weekends, and try to beat my own times, and there wouldn't be a hope of managing that if I were to go back drinking! Just good to have something measurable to aim for. :) Also I'm a bit nerdy and I keep spreadsheets of everything - how much training I'm doing, how much weight I'm losing, my BMI etc, all helps to keep my focus!

Also I'm attending at least one AA meeting a day. You could also look into the online meetings available on e.g. intherooms.com, I don't use them myself but I have friends that do. As far as I know there are several online meetings a day, might be useful if you want to do something productive and recovery related, but would rather stay at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I can only recommend cycling, and not necessarily that road racing lark with ball busting lycra shorts.
    You can tour about for hours on a normal bike seeing all sorts of places on back roads. If you've a car, hop in it and drive off to somewhere a little farther away and potter about there.
    Rain or "cold" isnt an issue or an excuse. In Ireland its nearly always above freezing except on frosty nights. There is never 2 foot of snow. Rain isn't an issue if you've a rain jacket.

Running is suggested, and thats an idea, but there is a limit to how far or how long (timewise) you can run but with cycling you can go all day even if you arent all that fit.

Advertisement