Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The gun shop Channel 4

Options
  • 31-10-2016 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

Just seen a trailer for a programme called "The gun shop" on channel 4 on Thursday at 9.00 pm. Seeing as C4 is the televison equivalent of the Guardian newspaper, i reckon it will be biased towards the "All guns are bad m'kay" stance. Looks an amazing shop though.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Didn't get the name of the shop?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

No Cass, had a quick look on their website, just says a small gunshop in Michigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

I hope it doesn't have the same outcome for the owners as the shows on discovery Sons of Guns and American Guns. Making a TV series seemed to be their downfall

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

One was arrested and charged with multiple counts of paedophilia/rape, selling firearms without a license and having firearms he shouldn't have.

The other was charged with illegal sales (he had his license revoked in 2012 but kept on selling) and tax fraud.

Cannot really blame Discovery Channel for that.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I've just watched a sneak preview of the programme on BBC morning TV, in which the programme producer and his assistant were yakking. Apart from the apparent air of general bewilderment that seems to surround folks these days when faced with circumstances outside their usual purview, they seemed to be fairly onside with the answers they gave to the BBC presenters. The clips showed mostly youngsters being taught how to shoot a handgun of one kind or another, as well as a few adults, including the compulsory ethnic minority in the form of a VERY tasty young lady.

They made the point that upcoming presidential elections - especially this one - were having a very positive impact on the public gun-buying figures, and that people who may not have thought about gun ownership before were coming out of the woodwork and spending real amounts of money. A friend of mine in NC has actually set aside $10K to spend on guns no matter who gets in. They also make the point that recent events seemed to be making people think more about personal defence, and mentioned that there were now a number of states in which open carry was permitted. There have always been states in which this is the case, BTW. They also mentioned the training and certification that had to take place before a citizen could avail themselves of this civil liberty. No direct mention was made of any criminal activities involving firearms.

We'll have to see the whole programme to get a balanced view - and hope that the producers succeeded in doing just that, unlike the presenter of a recent programme in UK, in which Callum, who makes the very useful Englishshooter movies on Youtube, took a London-based Asian reporter, who was plainly VERY uneasy around any form of firearm and admitted to knowing zero about them, into a busy gun store to see for himself the hows and whys of gun ownership in UK. The poor guy's ignorance was profound and moving, to say the least - maybe some of you saw it?

I guess that all of us who can actually get the programme will be watching with bated breath, wondering what the non-shooting element of the population will end up getting out of it.

All I'd say to anybody not familiar with the way that things are done over there is that other countries have other fashions.

tac

PS - this is my local gunstore in Eugene OR. What you see is actually half of it - Steve recently bought the next-door premises as well. Same size, with room for a nice big coffee café while you make your mind up. https://www.yelp.com/biz/mazama-sporting-goods-eugene-3

• Advertisement

Luckysasha wrote: »
    I hope it doesn't have the same outcome for the owners as the shows on discovery Sons of Guns and American Guns. Making a TV series seemed to be their downfall

I don't think its going to be that sort of show, its more a fly on the wall documentary, where they observe the people coming and going, see what they are buying and why.

On a side note, anyone else watching any of the uk news reports of the US election, guns invariably get mentioned. On one last night the reporter was talking to three coal miners (billary has already said coal mines are history if she gets in). The reporter asked the three lads who they are voting for, they all said trump, the reporter then asked the first lad why trump, and he said "because of guns and my job". The reporter was visably shocked.

It is quite simple, IF you take the simplistic POV.

Mr Trump supports the American Constitution, including ALL the Amendments.

Mrs Clinton does not.

In the American psyche there is no such thing as a 'little' gun control. THE word to remember here is 'control'. It's rather like being a 'little' dead.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Best political cartoon on the subject...
    http://www.michaelpramirez.com/roulette.html

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

gunny123 wrote: »
    I don't think its going to be that sort of show, its more a fly on the wall documentary, where they observe the people coming and going, see what they are buying and why.

should be worth a watch so. God I hope RTÉ don't decide to make a version of this show, could you imagine the balls they would make of it. Just like every other uk format that try and copy

tac foley wrote: »
    It is quite simple, IF you take the simplistic POV.

Mr Trump supports the American Constitution, including ALL the Amendments.

Mrs Clinton does not.

In the American psyche there is no such thing as a 'little' gun control. THE word to remember here is 'control'. It's rather like being a 'little' dead.

tac

Another report on cnn i think it was, from a gun shop, wall full of pistols on display, and two lads, one from the republican party, and the other the shop owner. He has a special election offer on, an Ar15, a crate of 1,000 rounds and a framed picture of hillary, he was thanking her for being the best sales person he has ever had. I was on one of the american shooting forums last night, one member was saying it took him over an hour to elbow his way to the counter to buy a pistol, the shop was so busy.

• Advertisement

Luckysasha wrote: »

should be worth a watch so. God I hope RTÉ don't decide to make a version of this show, could you imagine the balls they would make of it. Just like every other uk format that try and copy

Never forget that rte is the governments mouthpiece. When the economic meltdown was happening here, they should have been asking biffo, "no bank account" ahern, and "blasphemy" ahern what the hell was going on, but of course they wouldn't rock the boat like that.

Exactly the reason I hope RTÉ don't go near the subject of Irish gun laws. It's bad enough everytime rural crime is mentioned it is accompanied by a picture of that dim wit Healy-Rae holding his shotgun swearing to defend his property. Could you imagine the uproar they would cause by their one sided biased reporting. As someone said to me before "the gun laws in this country are ticking along nicely until someone ruins it for everyone else"

Bump, don't forget this is on tonight. I'm not expecting much from the uk msm, so am practising my eye rolling in the mirror.

Bump, don't forget this is on tonight. I'm not expecting much from the uk msm, so am practising my eye rolling in the mirror.

What's an 'MSM'?

tac

What's an 'MSM'?

tac

The mainstream media, usually owned by a meglomaniac.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Only 10 minutes in and it's been balanced so far showing things from the customers perspective
    A lady buying a glock for self defense after being threatened by an armed male driver with road rage and a bullying attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Enjoying this...just goes to show the fear some people have that they feel the need to walk around carrying a gun..I see why they would want to carry. I certainly would probably carry if given the chance...the woman who was threatened in the road rage incident looks very fearful and the man who pulled gun on her was legally allowed carry a weapon...so shows as well having easy access to a handgun is not always the best thing for some people.

They are being responsible for their own personal security. Over here we live under the delusion that if something bad happens to us, a guard will suddenly appear and stop it. When in reality this very rarely happens. The police come along long after the incident happens and investigates. You will be in the hospital or worse. I know this personally.

A good programme, if only from one perspective. The people in it were all real people who felt the need to have a gun, mostly for their own protection - I didn't see a single leisure/fun shooter there, which shows an imbalance in the bias of the programme, IMO.

Where were the hunters? The target rifle shooters? The reloaders?

Glock USA must be rubbing their hands with glee.

tac

A good programme, if only from one perspective. The people in it were all real people who felt the need to have a gun, mostly for their own protection - I didn't see a single leisure/fun shooter there, which shows an imbalance in the bias of the programme, IMO.

Where were the hunters? The target rifle shooters? The reloaders?

Glock USA must be rubbing their hands with glee.

tac

Gaston glock must be a trillionaire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Somebody might want to explain the obvious drawback of a 'Circular Firing Squad' to that guy :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It was a figure of speech i think, if someone did trying to rob the place (foolish) there would be bullets flying at him from all directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It really showed the fear that is present in American society.

I thought it was sad when the mother with the two young boys was explaining to one of the kids what to do if there was an intruder and what to do if 'Mommy went down' etc. Imagine having to put that burden and worry on a 10 - 12 year old.

It was a figure of speech i think, if someone did trying to rob the place (foolish) there would be bullets flying at him from all directions.

It HAS been tried, a few years back.

Two goons invaded the local gunstore while there was a Smith & Wesson 'show-and-tell' session ongoing with the local police department and SWAT team. The late gunmen seemed somehow not to have noticed the half-dozen police vehicles and SWAT Humvee parked outside the store range.

Needless to say, when the smoke cleared after nigh-on two hundred shots fired, it was hard to imagine what they were, let alone who they were.

You can't fix stupid.

tac

They are being responsible for their own personal security. Over here we live under the delusion that if something bad happens to us, a guard will suddenly appear and stop it. When in reality this very rarely happens. The police come along long after the incident happens and investigates. You will be in the hospital or worse. I know this personally.

Two notable quotes -

1. When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2. I carry a gun because I can't carry a policeman.

Sorry to hear of your bad experience.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

harr wrote: »
    Enjoying this...just goes to show the fear some people have that they feel the need to walk around carrying a gun..I see why they would want to carry. I certainly would probably carry if given the chance...the woman who was threatened in the road rage incident looks very fearful and the man who pulled gun on her was legally allowed carry a weapon...so shows as well having easy access to a handgun is not always the best thing for some people.

As I was watching her I couldn't help but think that if it happens again instead of a road rage incident there would be a shooting incident. I agree with the people buying for home defence but a gun for road rage!

Del2005 wrote: »
    As I was watching her I couldn't help but think that if it happens again instead of a road rage incident there would be a shooting incident. I agree with the people buying for home defence but a gun for road rage!

I suppose her thinking was that if he had fired at her, she wouldn't have been able to defend herself if she didn't have a gun.

Although if she did defend herself, I think she would be in trouble as I believe it's against the law to have a loaded gun in your car in the State of Michigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

BattleCorp wrote: »
    It really showed the fear that is present in American society.

I thought it was sad when the mother with the two young boys was explaining to one of the kids what to do if there was an intruder and what to do if 'Mommy went down' etc. Imagine having to put that burden and worry on a 10 - 12 year old.

Id be kind of worried too if Mommy went down on an intruder...

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I was a bit disappointed as all i seen in the shop was ar15's and plastic pistols. Not a double barrel or bolt action in sight. I was amazed at how low some of the prices were though, but they might have been used guns i suppose.

• Advertisement

I was a bit disappointed as all i seen in the shop was ar15's and plastic pistols. Not a double barrel or bolt action in sight. I was amazed at how low some of the prices were though, but they might have been used guns i suppose.

It seemed like a shop that pretty much only catered for the self defence aspect of shooting. There wasn't one target shooter or hunter in the programme. Maybe the programme was edited to only show the people who wanted guns for self defence.

Advertisement