Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The gun shop Channel 4

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I suppose her thinking was that if he had fired at her, she wouldn't have been able to defend herself if she didn't have a gun.

Although if she did defend herself, I think she would be in trouble as I believe it's against the law to have a loaded gun in your car in the State of Michigan.

Not if it actually on your person - you being a CCW permit holder. Loose - in the glovebox or lying around - is a different matter most everywhere.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

BattleCorp wrote: »
    It seemed like a shop that pretty much only catered for the self defence aspect of shooting. There wasn't one target shooter or hunter in the programme. Maybe the programme was edited to only show the people who wanted guns for self defence.

This seems to be the way the US firearms market has been going for at least the last decade or so. Compare a mainstream US shooting magazine today with one from 10+ years ago and you'll see a lot less hunting / target / clays content now. The shops also seem to stock a much higher proportion of "black rifles" and carry guns than any other sector of the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

civdef wrote: »
    This seems to be the way the US firearms market has been going for at least the last decade or so. Compare a mainstream US shooting magazine today with one from 10+ years ago and you'll see a lot less hunting / target / clays content now. The shops also seem to stock a much higher proportion of "black rifles" and carry guns than any other sector of the market.

I noticed that myself, years ago if you bought guns and ammo, there would be great features on someone heading off to some spectacular wild place and shooting elk or bear etc. There would be reviews on classic guns, bolt action or lever action rifles. Now its just the plastic stuff, the right to bear arms, there is a boogey man behind every blade of grass waiting to kill you. Its paranoia imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

gunny123 wrote: »
    I was a bit disappointed as all i seen in the shop was ar15's and plastic pistols. Not a double barrel or bolt action in sight. I was amazed at how low some of the prices were though, but they might have been used guns i suppose.

Thing is every man and his dog are now making black rifles,or are building themselves one in the basement from parts.In fact the AR15 design has now supplanted the lever action as the most pouplar and available rifle in America three years ago,so you can in theory pick up one for under 500 $.
    But expect 500 dollar quality too.Millons of spare parts out there as well make this design whstever you want it to be,and virtually uncontrollable to gun bans...Guess why they were shown,they are of course black&scary looking.A double barrel doesnt look scary or a wood stocked hunting rifle isnt scary compared to a tactical bolt action sniper rifle.
    All perspective of the attitude of who is behind the camera and who is watching this on their stupidifier.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

gunny123 wrote: »
    civdef wrote: »

I noticed that myself, years ago if you bought guns and ammo, there would be great features on someone heading off to some spectacular wild place and shooting elk or bear etc. There would be reviews on classic guns, bolt action or lever action rifles. Now its just the plastic stuff, the right to bear arms, there is a boogey man behind every blade of grass waiting to kill you. Its paranoia imho.

Well when you have a president and a presidential canditatewho is making it one of her election planks and a bunch of congress people and one of the political parties braying non stop about gun bans after every actually statiscally very rare, mass shooting and then seeing them enacting legislation in places like California,Michigan, Connetticut ,New york state,etc.It only fuels the paranoia for the average citizento go out and on black friday last year.To buy more guns that could re arm the entire 250 thousand strong United States Marine Corps and still have left overs for two divisions.In one day!!!You might wonder about justifiable paranoia.

As for mags that are still hunting orientated.Try Field&Stream,American Deer hunting,American hunter,Safari club international(If you can stomach all the trophy size boasting)Most if not all are online these days,so no worries if Easons doesn't have it in stock.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

There has been some serious marketing muscle put into fueling the pervading sense of fear though I reckon. 10+ years ago if an American mag talked about a gun for the bedside locker, they'd say something along the line of get a 4" 38spl/357 and-or a pump.
    Now it's a G19 / AR with extended mags, lasers, lights, rails on every surface, buffers, ACOGS, crateloads of ammo twenty spare mags and probably an obligatory operator beard.

They seem to have gone from marketing something to pick up if you heard a bump in the night downstairs, to the capacity to singlehandedly repel an infantry company for sustained periods of time - all in the hands of people who might barely fire an average of 50 rounds on a 25-50indoor range per year, and who don't actually live in Mosul.

It's got to the stage where I pretty much don't bother going into gunshops in the States anymore when I'm over there. The sense of fear/paranoia/bloodthirstyness (e.g. some of the defensive ammo ads) just doesn't feel right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Go West, Young Man! Out in the PNW I see no evidence of the paranoia that pervades the Eastern side of the country. Oregon has open carry, BTW. Might have something to do with it.

tac

A cessorise everything!!Applies in the US be it cars,guns or whatever.They have a gizmo for everything , practial or not.So its no surprise they buy all sorts of ninja gear that has been "tested by some alphabet soup organisation in Iraq or wherever and will repel hordes of zombies"We are all suspectible to advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Bloody hell, just caught this on repeat. The level of fear in American society is amazing. I note the salesmen steered everyone to a 9 mm pistol. Apart from the recoil, which the women in particular struggled with, standard ball ammo will probably go through the walls in your average US home. I didn't see any reference to low powered calibres or expanding ammo. The last clip on his 'sales for the day ' ( about 12) says it all.

Were the women who struggeled with recoil from the 9mms,from the same place as the male journalist who fired an AR15 and got PTSD earlier this year???:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

recipio wrote: »
    Bloody hell, just caught this on repeat. The level of fear in American society is amazing. I note the salesmen steered everyone to a 9 mm pistol. Apart from the recoil, which the women in particular struggled with, standard ball ammo will probably go through the walls in your average US home. I didn't see any reference to low powered calibres or expanding ammo. The last clip on his 'sales for the day ' ( about 12) says it all.

My first pistol was a glock 17 in 9mm, i eventually would up with a 1911 in .45acp, and found the .45 far better to shoot. I find the 9mm a snappy little git, but with the .45 it was a slow push.

Advertisement