Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tight Chokes

• 31-10-2016 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

Looking for a cure for the above.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Take it to a gunsmith and have them bored out. Tight chokes aren't really a good idea on a game gun or sporter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

gunny123 wrote: »
    Take it to a gunsmith and have them bored out. Tight chokes aren't really a good idea on a game gun or sporter.

Let the bird out a bit more.... Ive fixed 3/4 and full in my sxs and no issues with 30g or 28g 6 or 5's. I know many men shooting game and clays with trap guns.

My side by sides have no choke in the first barrel and only a bit in the second, i've no trouble knocking anything either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

My apologies. I should have said tight chokes as in I am finding it difficult to remove them. I can unscrew it but it is tight.

Clean the threads with a small brush, maybe a cheap toothbrush and a solvent, whatever you use to clean your barrels normally, and make sure they have a drop of oil on the threads too. The chokes don't need to be very tight in the barrels either. Just nipped up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

You can get aerosols of "Freeze" which is for loosening tight nuts etc. Worked well on brake pipe nuts for me last week. Supposed to cool to -50 C. Perhaps give the choke a blast of that, leave it to warm back up, and repeat. Then try unscrewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,080 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Fire up the chip pan,and dunk the barrel with the stuck choke into the boiling oil for about 5 minutes[Prefably not with your chips being cooked at the same time.]Let it cool and try the choke key then.Might take one or two dunks,but it usually loosens 99% of cases.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I can unscrew it but it is tight.
    Fouling can build up in and around the chokes, plus the constant firing can cause a "weld" effect especially if the chokes were tightened (basically over tightened) when put in.

As one poster already said above there is no need to stitch chokes in. Screw them down and then the slightest of pinches does it. As for the chokes themselves, take them out and let them sit in a mild cleaning solution. Scrub them well and leave no fouling on them.

While they are sitting clean the barrel of the gun and pay special attention to the threading of the choke area. Clean very well. Before you replace the chokes make sure to apply a decent amount of copper grease to prevent seizing again.

Now every time you lean the gun remove the chokes and clean, grease and replace them.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Do I go to the motor factors for copper grease.Would it not be bad to over heat the barrel of a gun by putting it in to boiling oil.And the same by over cooling. One would think the temper would be affected.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Hardware shop, motor factors, etc. all do copper grease. You can buy it in tube or tube form.

As for dipping in hot oil, not a chance. I'd sooner leave it seized than dip the barrels into hot oil. I've seen some odd stuff destroy the bluing on barrels (hand cream, vinegar, etc) so i'd be taking no chances.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Gunsmith I used to know swore by hot WD40 for stuck chokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

My apologies. I should have said tight chokes as in I am finding it difficult to remove them. I can unscrew it but it is tight.

When do remove them? Right after shooting? After cool down? Cleaning?

Keep it simple. Take them out when not in use and clean the threads when you clean the barrel.

Can you get a hi-res close up image so we can see the threads?

There is only some residue left in the barrel thread. The choke thread seems to be perfect. I worked the choke off eventually. Cleaning with solvent will hopefully sort it out.Then lubrication with copper grease. It is nice to be able to change choke when you need to. The difference between 3/4 choke and cylinder is a foot at 15 yds so for close work cylinder is my choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

Take a box of shells and fire them off in quick succession creating a hot barrel and then use the key to remove them. The steel in the chokes is different quality to the steel in the barrel and they cool at a different rate which is how most chokes work a little loose after shooting a lot in quick succession. Better than hot oil and probably not as costly in the long run. A skim of grease on the thread and the body of the choke will help you not having this trouble again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

There is only some residue left in the barrel thread. The choke thread seems to be perfect. I worked the choke off eventually. Cleaning with solvent will hopefully sort it out.Then lubrication with copper grease. It is nice to be able to change choke when you need to. The difference between 3/4 choke and cylinder is a foot at 15 yds so for close work cylinder is my choice

well done, just read the start

Advertisement