Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50 yrs ago - Dowth or Knowth by candlelight

Options
  • 01-11-2016 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭

c50 years ago, I visited Dowth or Knowth with my family. If my memory is correct, we carried a candle each and climbed down a ladder. I can't remember anything else about the visit. Does anyoine know if it would have been Knowth or Dowth or were both open to visitors?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

c50 years ago, I visited Dowth or Knowth with my family. If my memory is correct, we carried a candle each and climbed down a ladder. I can't remember anything else about the visit. Does anyoine know if it would have been Knowth or Dowth or were both open to visitors?
    Thanks

That would have been Dowth, there is a concrete shaft with a ladder close to where the entrance of the north passage used to be but it is no longer used. The entrance was originally further out which is now a private garden, the original entrance can no longer be seen. Knowth passages had not been rediscoved until the late 60's and are still not generally open to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Thanks for that Cian - I remember that ladder so well!

Advertisement