Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Puppy wanted threads in the run up to Christmas.

• 01-11-2016 10:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

It's time to put our yearly ban in place on Threads looking for pups in the run up to Christmas. Any new threads asking for help finding a pup between now and 1st January will be removed. Repeat offenders will be infracted or banned depending on severity.

This thread will be left open for discussion of the problems associated with getting pets at Christmas. Please keep it civil.

Thanks,
    CB.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Not wanting to start an argument, but genuinely curious. How come it is only puppies that are banned, and kittens and other pets aren't included in the ban?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Speaking purely for myself, and bearing in mind I wasn't about when this rule came about, I'm guessing puppies were targeted by this rule because of the high-profile "puppy for life, not just for Christmas" ethos, and probably because there tends to be significantly more enquiries for them in the run-up to Christmas. I think it's hard enough to get kittens at this time of year?
    That's by way of (possible) explanation... But you do raise a valid point, so we'll have a chat about it and get back to ye? That OK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

We've had a flurry of puppy threads in past year's in the run up to Christmas. Other pets not so much. One person did ask about getting a kitten for Christmas last year and I pointed out the puppy thread ban to them. The other issue is that puppies are widely available at Christmas, kittens are not specifically bred to meet seasonal demand. We can have a chat about it for next year though I'd have no problem extending it to all species if people think there is a need for it. When people post they want a puppy specifically for Christmas it gets people's backs up and I'd rather ban this discussion than have people not come back here for advice on their new pup when they need it as the pup only suffers again when that happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

There was somebody looking for a pup after Christmas, and there was also someone looking for a kitten at the same time, one thread was allowed, one wasn't, I just thought it was odd that one young animal was acceptable at this time of year, and the other wasn't. I would think that the same issues would apply, cute fluffy thing as a present turns into a pooing machine, hair, dirt etc all over the house, same noise levels and excitement in the house that could affect the animal's introduction to the family. Kittens are definitely not as high profile as puppies at Christmas I agree, and there aren't as many kittens around at this time of year, but, as the poster found one, it appears there are some.

I'm not having a go at either poster either, it just struck me as maybe reinforcing the way cats are viewed here a lot of the time, as being less important than dogs (here being Ireland, not API).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It was me who posted about the kitten(!) but as I said in the thread they had just decided they were finished grieving and ready for a new cat after their other one died suddenly months ago (came home badly injured and had to be pts :( )... It wasn't intended as a present to be bought for anyone so I didn't think of it as a 'Christmas pet'.. I know a few posters here volunteer in rescues so decided to ask as they weren't having any luck finding one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement