Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice - Worn Shoes Issue

Options
  • 01-11-2016 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of a dispute with a department store in south Dublin re a pair of running shoes my mam bought which were clearly worn before (dirty soles, writing on shoe cushion faded and worn).

I went to the store with the shoes & receipt and unfortunately got landed with a really unhelpful & rude manager who insisted I was lying and myself or my mother was at fault for the shoes being worn - that there was absolutely no way they were sold to us like that. I wasn't looking for a refund. Just an exchange, for a more expensive pair of shoes, and I had other items to buy also.

This argument went back and forth until I left the store with the shoes still in tow. I know this is really a case of my word against theirs but I wasn't/am not lying.

I went home and wrote an email to their customer service explaining what happened and my anger at not just being landed with worn shoes but the fact the manager had insinuated I was a liar and had been quite rude to me during this encounter in front of other staff & customers. She also refused to give me her name when I asked for it for the purposes of emailing the customer services dept. and said I wasn't entitled to it.

Just got a response back from them there. They are quite apologetic and have given me 2 managers names to go in store to who will process the exchange... Just wondering if I have grounds here to ask for a refund instead, as I don't really want to give them any more money. One thing that might complicate things is that when my mam bought the shoes initially she paid with a voucher - kind of like a One4all, so I might be obliged to only accept an exchange?

Maybe someone can help!

Thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Normally if you pay with a one for all you only get an exchange in my experience. The shop itself do not sell one for all cards so they cannot give you a new one. I would expect an exchange or credit/voucher (make sure you check the expire date with them).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

If the item is faulty then you are entitled to a refund I would have thought, for change of mind etc. then it's up to the retailer what they offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Galadriel wrote: »
    If the item is faulty then you are entitled to a refund I would have thought, for change of mind etc. then it's up to the retailer what they offer.

You aren't entitled to a refund for faulty items either. Replacement or repair are also valid. In this case, I wouldn't see anything other than replacement as likely - refund is complicated and would certainly have to go back to the giftcard if allowed; repair is not appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

L1011 wrote: »
    You aren't entitled to a refund for faulty items either. Replacement or repair are also valid. In this case, I wouldn't see anything other than replacement as likely - refund is complicated and would certainly have to go back to the giftcard if allowed; repair is not appropriate.

Sorry, I should have said I meant in this particular case with the runners, but the OP should be willing to except replacement.

Advertisement